Refreshing the Shower Tray: Painting Experience (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Some of you might remember that I ended up discolouring my Speedcoated shower tray. Well after chatting with Speedcoat, who insisted that the only way to revive it, was to have it resprayed with Speedcoat, yeah right, at £300+ squiddlies.

So lots of research and it’s now painted and looks good and no detriment to the Speedcoat already on there, so I’m happy and that’s important 👍🏻

Put on 2 coats as directed, after a thorough clean and degrease and a rough over to aid adhesion.

I’m that happy the next task on my list is to remove the sink, reinforce it from below, paint and seal it back into place. Been 10 years since I was had it out, so a good task to ensure its longevity.

Paint I used:
IMG_3427.jpeg

IMG_3428.jpeg

Before:

IMG_0858.jpeg

First Coat going on:

IMG_0860.jpeg

First coat done:

IMG_0866.jpeg

Second coat and finished product:

IMG_3426.jpeg

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Having had ours speedcoated, I need to know what happened to discolour it please?
Your repainting looks great 🙂

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Having had ours speedcoated, I need to know what happened to discolour it please?
Your repainting looks great 🙂
Firstly, while I was delighted to have my shower tray repaired and Speedcoated, I was disappointed that they don’t do a bright white, but that’s by the by.

I’m guessing that I had a residual amount of citric acid water in the bottom of the grey tank and then poured a weak bleach solution down each of the plug holes and promptly left the van. On my return the shower tray had discoloured like the first photo, so I’m guessing that there must have been some reaction that went up into the shower tray and then drained away.

I’d never use bleach on the Speedcoat, or mastic etc, but I had tipped a small amount of the weak stuff down the plug hole only. I guess that adding that small amount down each of the 3 plugs resulted in the incident. It wouldn’t clean off no matter how much I tried, but never effected the Speedcoat at all, less than the discolouration.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Firstly, while I was delighted to have my shower tray repaired and Speedcoated, I was disappointed that they don’t do a bright white, but that’s by the by.

I’m guessing that I had a residual amount of citric acid water in the bottom of the grey tank and then poured a weak bleach solution down each of the plug holes and promptly left the van. On my return the shower tray had discoloured like the first photo, so I’m guessing that there must have been some reaction that went up into the shower tray and then drained away.

I’d never use bleach on the Speedcoat, or mastic etc, but I had tipped a small amount of the weak stuff down the plug hole only. I guess that adding that small amount down each of the 3 plugs resulted in the incident. It wouldn’t clean off no matter how much I tried, but never effected the Speedcoat at all, less than the discolouration.
Thanks. It’s typical things we do isn’t, disinfect with citric acid and bleach. I will be careful !

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Some of you might remember that I ended up discolouring my Speedcoated shower tray. Well after chatting with Speedcoat, who insisted that the only way to revive it, was to have it resprayed with Speedcoat, yeah right, at £300+ squiddlies.

So lots of research and it’s now painted and looks good and no detriment to the Speedcoat already on there, so I’m happy and that’s important 👍🏻

Put on 2 coats as directed, after a thorough clean and degrease and a rough over to aid adhesion.

I’m that happy the next task on my list is to remove the sink, reinforce it from below, paint and seal it back into place. Been 10 years since I was had it out, so a good task to ensure its longevity.

Paint I used:
View attachment 905346

View attachment 905347

Before:

View attachment 905343

First Coat going on:

View attachment 905344

First coat done:

View attachment 905345

Second coat and finished product:

View attachment 905342
Mmmm... Wonder if that stuff would work on my stained Thetford 400 toilet bowl..
Was thinking of a ceramic insert....However!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
The shower tray in my moby has been speed coated but a lovely grey so doesn't discolour . . My handbasin on the other hand has gone that horrible yellow so I'm planning to paint that.
That’s the next on the list and I’ll add some reinforcement to the bottom, especially around the plug hole. Should look good when it’s done 👍🏻

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That’s the next on the list and I’ll add some reinforcement to the bottom, especially around the plug hole. Should look good when it’s done 👍🏻
I've just had a look for that paint on ebay and discovered they do it in grey so that might do the job on my basin and cabinet. How was it for brush lines?

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I've just had a look for that paint on ebay and discovered they do it in grey so that might do the job on my basin and cabinet. How was it for brush lines?
No brush lines at all and I was impressed by the coverage after just one coat and very impressed by the time I had put the second coat on 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back