Reasonably urgent newbie gas question 😱 (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
Hi there.
I've just driven 10 miles into town and on the way back there has been a strong smell of gas (I have diesel heating and a condenser fridge).
I stopped immediately to double check my gas bottle top valves to the cooker were both turned off (clockwise) and also the knobs on the hob and oven were off. All well, so I thought I was mistaken.
However by the time I have returned home there is still a smell of gas in the van. I have obviously opened all the windows and car door and then after 10 minutes out of interest tried the hob and one of the burners is lit.
Am I missing something?

OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
Turn the gas off at the bottle.
Disconnect the bottle.
Get a gas certified engineer to look at it.
Don't take any chances.
Good luck
Newbie question... if I disconnect the bottle (I believe it's the opposite thread turn) does it self seal at the bottle side?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Apparently the op states one of his burners light with the gas off at the bottle so seems a faulty bottle valve. Is it a calor type bottle or one of those little 1kg ones. They self seal if the valve is removed,.

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
one of the burners is lit ???

gas isnt off, double check the valves on the bottles....yes as you say..... its the opposite way to remove the pipes from the bottles but its the normal way to close the valves

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
Leisure and car batteries???
Who puts fecking batteries under the floor throughout the van??🙄
Both cool and don't smell.
one of the burners is lit ???

gas isnt off, double check the valves on the bottles....yes as you say..... its the opposite way to remove the pipes from the bottles but its the normal way to close the valves
havent touched anything yet.
Apparently the op states one of his burners light with the gas off at the bottle so seems a faulty bottle valve. Is it a calor type bottle or one of those little 1kg ones. They self seal if the valve is removed,.
It lit earlier but wont light now. Not removed bottle as yet. No smell.

IMG_4894.jpeg

IMG_4895.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
Spare taken out and plastic screw tap inserted. Bottle in use taken out, was definitely turned off however split in pipe at neck.
No smell of gas in cupboard.
My theory bottle was off but residual gas up towards hob escaped from split?? Is there enough in that wee tube to make the whole van smell?
Thanks so much for supporting me with this everyone, now off to get phone charger. 👍🏻

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Spare taken out and plastic screw tap inserted. Bottle in use taken out, was definitely turned off however split in pipe at neck.
No smell of gas in cupboard.
My theory bottle was off but residual gas up towards hob escaped from split?? Is there enough in that wee tube to make the whole van smell?
Thanks so much for supporting me with this everyone, now off to get phone charger. 👍🏻
Yes and it will linger for a while, thats what its designed to do.
Get a new hose, they should have a date stamp along its length

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Krazykate
Feb 26, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
Since 2010.
Yes and it will linger for a while, thats what its designed to do.
Get a new hose, they should have a date stamp along its length
2011😱😱😱 So new hose and new bed conversion and new bike rack and new Fiamma awning and find new ways to make bread n water!! 😂 Thanks everyone!
Seriously... is there anything else is a must???

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Newbie question... if I disconnect the bottle (I believe it's the opposite thread turn) does it self seal at the bottle side?
There is a valve screw on the top of the gas bottle. It will indicate the correct way to turn it to isolate the bottle. Do that before doing anything else. TBF once you heave isolated the gas bottle, no gas should go anywhere into the MH. Then seek assistance from a qualified gas installer. I hope that you get sorted soon.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back