Reason to be careful with gas… (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Well it takes a surprisingly small ratio of lpg to air to be explosive.

What worries me are the people I see filling cylinders with no protection. One drop of liquid propane on your skin will gas off at normal temperatures instantly. In doing g so, it expands in volume exponentially in an instant. This results in flash freezing skin and flesh to minus 200 degrees. It will burn to the bone, killing the flesh. Nasty stuff LPG if you are not careful

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
I understand why many, many folk prefer Gaslow or an underslung tank: cheaper to refill, the underslung tanks save room inside the van, and so on.

But I used to have one and hated it - where I live/usually travel LPG filling points are not common and despite always wearing gloves (TheBig1 ) I never enjoyed refilling the tank. Did not ever have a nasty blow-back but just the pressure release after a successful fill was unpleasant enough.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
A vast volume of built up gas, which hasn't dumped to fresh air...perhaps filling cavities and being undetected for some time...would be a strong possibility ....just waiting for a source of ignition to complete the explosive process...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
What worries me are the people I see filling cylinders with no protection. One drop of liquid propane on your skin will gas off at normal temperatures instantly. In doing g so, it expands in volume exponentially in an instant. This results in flash freezing skin and flesh to minus 200 degrees. It will burn to the bone, killing the flesh. Nasty stuff LPG if you are not careful
But you need to distinguish between one drop and one bucketful. A one gram drop of propane has the cooling power of 428 joules, which is about the same as the heating power of a one gram drop of boiling water. I wouldn't want a bucketful of boiling water over me, but a one gram drop I reckon I could survive.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I do hate refilling, I get so nervous I faff it, hate the blow back when you release. And am never sure that the quarter turn has locked it securely, and if I faff it, have to replace the hose on the cradle and start again.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
A one gramme drop of liquid propane is energy dense and becomes a bucket of propane gas
One gram of liquid propane extracts 428 joules of heat from its surroundings when it turns into propane gas. It's still one gram of gas, even though it probably does fill a bucket.

Look up 'Latent Heat of Evaporation' in this properties table:
It's 428000J/kg, ie 428 joules per gram

For comparison, the specific heat capacity of water is 4200 J/kg/°C, so one gram of water cooling from 100°C to 0°C gives out 4.2 x 100 = 420 joules.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
One gram of liquid propane extracts 428 joules of heat from its surroundings when it turns into propane gas. It's still one gram of gas, even though it probably does fill a bucket.

Look up 'Latent Heat of Evaporation' in this properties table:
It's 428000J/kg, ie 428 joules per gram

For comparison, the specific heat capacity of water is 4200 J/kg/°C, so one gram of water cooling from 100°C to 0°C gives out 4.2 x 100 = 420 joules.
That's true but I suspect if I was injecting boiling water into a tank with a fitting like that I would want to wear gloves ( I actually wore leather gauntlets for increased coverage). I think a lot more people would intuitively use gloves if it was pressurised boiling water! I wish we had the French fitting instead it seems a lot more secure and less fiddly.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Our nearest LPG is Podimore. Our filler has always been on the passenger side and that pump is always temperamental. Often won’t work at all but the nozzle from the other side is long and always works so no problem. BUT on the way to Bridlington last year the passenger side seemed to connect and started working, suddenly LPG shot out over my hand. Very painful burn. Lucky I had long sleeves and a jacket.

Where were my leather gloves? Barely 1 foot away in the passenger side door pocket of course.

The other side worked fine as usual. I reported it but they couldn’t care.

I did like Turkey where they filled it for you.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Podimore is my nearest that I can rely on to actually have lpg when you get there. Even the guy that will do it if asked has problems actually connecting, the gun seems to not fit that well. I didn't realize the other side was long enough to fit, I've always used the left side filler. Lower Weare did not have any LPG last time I tried after a 30 mile detour! So annoying!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The main thing that is dangerous is an LPG system fitted by an amateur and not inspected by a professional. Second is an old system never serviced. The risk of leakage and carbon monoxide seem to be ignored by most people until something goes wrong.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Podimore is my nearest that I can rely on to actually have lpg when you get there. Even the guy that will do it if asked has problems actually connecting, the gun seems to not fit that well. I didn't realize the other side was long enough to fit, I've always used the left side filler. Lower Weare did not have any LPG last time I tried after a 30 mile detour! So annoying!
Glad I’m not the only one! Yes the hose is really long. It was a few years back when a really nice Polish chap in an LPG car came to my rescue. I used to try to use the one a couple of hundred metres from the Sparkford roundabout but that’s gone now.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I wonder what they were doing to leak that much gas? I assume US RVs have similar safety features to our side of the pond. So what failed? Or what were they doing?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm not keen on those, there's an even chance the jet will go inside the glove and fill it up with LPG, worse than having no glove I think.
That's why I had the gauntlets. I think it's pretty unlikely you could get liquid gas inside there unless there was a big spill so you'd be in big trouble anyway.

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Lower Weare is my closest and I did get caught out once when they had none but that was about 9 months ago and continued for a few weeks. Recently they have had a regular supply and didn't anticipate any further supply issues.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Lower Weare is my closest and I did get caught out once when they had none but that was about 9 months ago and continued for a few weeks. Recently they have had a regular supply and didn't anticipate any further supply issues.
I'm intending to try them again next week, on the way back from my habitation at the dealership in Brent Knoll but will phone first!!

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
LPG etc has a lower explosive level of around 4% in air. Then it has to have an ignition source.

There is a perfume added to it such that we can smell any leak at levels which are parts per million (ppm)

Roughly 1% is 10000 ppm

So we would smell a leak well below it’s it becoming an explosion risk

Whilst not necessarily LPG, In terms of natural gas that we have at home, pressure below 100mbarg create an explosive zone of negligible extent I.e. don’t worry about it.
So long as there is a reasonable degree of ventilation.
Which is why the gas bottle locker has ventilation panels.

So for it to build up it has to be a leak into an enclosed space and not be noticed which it why it is extremely rare.

So chill out.
I do.

I use lpg and I undertake the risk assessments as part of my everyday job

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I was just about to put Cola into my waste tank. So I'd better be careful I don't connect the LPG filler down there too!
😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back