Raleigh Modus with Bosch Hub motor (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 31, 2016
Berkeley, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner MaranoT580
Exp
Loving life and travelling with Jan
Hi, do’s anyone have or had a Raleigh Modus Electric Cycle, Boshe Hub motor. Can you tell me the weight without the battery as I will be lifting it on to the rear cycle rack which is waist height, and is it a good bike 🤔.
Battery is on a rear rack
Thank you in anticipation

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Hoiking my full suspension (non electric) mountain bike on to my chest high rack is a royal pain when I'm knackered after a ride... Doesn't help that I'm a short-arse.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
The weight will depend on what style and size bike, but if it helps mine was a step-through in the large size and it weighed about 25kg without the battery but with (empty) panniers. Its a decent bike: comfy to ride, good range, and nice motor that'll take you up most hills. But its main downside is the weight, plus the step-through with the battery on the back is very tail-heavy so its quite unwieldy to manhandle when needed (eg around town if you need to carry it up/down a few steps).

We also found it wasn't that easy to lift it onto any rack - definitely a two-person job. Not necessarily because of the weight (though that didn't help), but even without the battery its still very tail-heavy and the lack of a crossbar on the stepthrough made it awkward to lift into place. We carried it on two different racks: a Fiamma Pro C - quite high up, always a two-person job, and a chassis-mounted rack - knee-high, much easier with two people, but just about manageable for one strong person.

OP
OP
DAC and Jan
Jul 31, 2016
Berkeley, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner MaranoT580
Exp
Thank you for the answers and more, much appreciated
Kind regards
Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
What age Modus?
I bought one for my wife which she loves. It has the battery mounted on the seat post down tube, and not on the rear rack. It takes her everywhere she wants to go, and I don’t find it heavy to move about. When I put it into my bike maintenance stand I use false crossbar so it’s easier to mount.

Nov 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bürstner 728g
Hi, do’s anyone have or had a Raleigh Modus Electric Cycle, Boshe Hub motor. Can you tell me the weight without the battery as I will be lifting it on to the rear cycle rack which is waist height, and is it a good bike 🤔.
Battery is on a rear rack
Thank you in anticipation
My wife has a Raleigh Motus Tour, step-thru frame. It's heavy! I'd guess about 25kgs. We've taken it on a waist high rear mounted rack on our old motorhome and now on a rack fitted in the garage of our new moho. I always remove the battery before racking it, but it's still blinkin' heavy. Because it's a step-thru, without a top tube, I attach it to the rack using the seat post. Using the seat tube would also be feasible.
At purchase we were told the battery was guaranteed for 500 charges. After only 1250 miles, about 30 charges and at 3 years old we had to buy a new Powerpack 300 battery (£379) as the battery wouldn't charge or power the motor for more than 2 seconds. The battery had been stored appropriately indoors with about 60% charge but hadn't been touched for a year and that MAY have contributed to the failure. Personally, I suspect the internal Battery Management System has failed. Bosch said the guarantee was 500 charges or 2 years so wouldn't replace the battery f.o.c. and the retailer no longer exists. Be warned!
With a new battery, the Bosch motor performs as it should. Good luck with the bike. I would recommend switching the battery on once a month to check it has some charge, but don't store it fully charged.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Mines not the same bike but I charge the battery every 6 to 8 weeks even when not in use and have done for the last 4 years without any noticeable problems

Jul 16, 2020
Hungerford, West Berks.
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo 04
Exp
30+ years
When we switched to e-bikes, one Raleigh Modus and one Gazelle, we switched from using the rear rack on our motorhome and switched to a tow-bar mounted rack.
This means I can just push the bikes up onto the rack, no load on the backwall of the van, no heavy lifting, so much easier all round.
We take the batteries out and keep them inside.
Bikes are about 25Kg each.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DAC and Jan
Jul 31, 2016
Berkeley, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner MaranoT580
Exp
Do you mean Raleigh Motus Tour with Bosch Hub gears?

If so, the Motus grand tour with hub gear change is 25.5Kg complete. The battery is 2.5Kg of this total weight. So 23Kg without battery.
Thank you 😊

OP
OP
DAC and Jan
Jul 31, 2016
Berkeley, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner MaranoT580
Exp
When we switched to e-bikes, one Raleigh Modus and one Gazelle, we switched from using the rear rack on our motorhome and switched to a tow-bar mounted rack.
This means I can just push the bikes up onto the rack, no load on the backwall of the van, no heavy lifting, so much easier all round.
Thank you 😊

OP
OP
DAC and Jan
Jul 31, 2016
Berkeley, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner MaranoT580
Exp
Thank you 😊

OP
OP
DAC and Jan
Jul 31, 2016
Berkeley, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner MaranoT580
Exp
Thank you 😊

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back