Quick getaway to Spain (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2009
leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2009
We are thinking of getting away for 5 weeks down to Spain in our motorhome. Just looking for sun. Have toured Europe before but only in summer months. Thought we would cross to Calais and follow previous advice from funsters on route down and through Vielha Tunnel. Weather forecast looks OK for going next week but a little bothered about the return via same route in the middle of February. I know we can't tell what the weather will be like then but has anyone any advice. How much time should I give for the return. can the roads be blocked, if so for how long?. We have 4-5 weeks. are we being daft?

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I can only comment on returning from the Costa Blanca area, personally I wouldn’t use that route as you could run into snow in February. Whilst I have encountered snow coming up via Pamplona and Donostia the Spanish are extremely good at keeping the motorway open, particularly as this is the main route for lorries.

As far as time is concerned, roughly 1,000 miles to Calais so it depends on how far you want to travel per day. I now tend to do 300 ish so around 3 days but it can be done quicker if you want to push on.

OP
OP
MikenSue
Aug 21, 2009
leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for that help. We were hoping to get down to the Cost Blanca area. We have never driven to Spain before and thought we would just go down the coast, hopefully to Costa Blanca. I think dependent on roads used 300 miles is plenty for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Think you need to allow more than 3 days to get back that time of year i'd allow 7 days and just meander back hit snow or icy roads and 300 mls a day will be hard work

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Did this journey in 4 days comfortably, crossing via the tunnel at 0930 am . Arrived Javea 2.00pm 4th day. We were caught on the N10 80km and no overtaking for vehicles over 3.5 tons limits. Might go back towards Toulouse to get the free A20 north . Came down this way last time , less goods traffic .

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Looking a google maps it calculates 16 hours, so allowing a gas stop say 17 hours - leave calais at midnight, arrive in time for dinner:)

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
It's nice down here on the Costa del Sol right now, 15C clear blue skies. However it was windy this morning and still breezy now.

We're planning on drifting northwards in late February but having got caught last year in snow we will be sticking to the autorutes Valencia, Zaragoza, Pamplona,San Sebastian, Bayonne, Bordeaux.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
IMV that a lot of distance to cover with only 4-5 weeks to do it in, you'll spend a lot of time travelling - we've just come back from Spain's north east cost on a route travelling via Narbonne, Beziers, Millau, Clermont Ferrand, Vierzon, Chartres up to Rouen, Abbeville, Boulogne Sur Mer then to ET at Coquelles and it was tiring and took 4 days although we did have a vet visit one morning for the dogs' PP check, add to that the distance to get down to the Costa del Sol, so that's probably a week gone, and another week to get back unless of course you hit the peage motorways and that will hurt your wallet at lot ... you might therefore get a relaxing 3 weeks down there, but having to travel for a week solid at each end isn't my idea of a break. Of course this assumes you don't get any bad weather holding you up.

However, if you were able to go via Santander or Bilboa on the ferry, obviously that would cut down the travelling time considerably but will DEFINITELY hit your wallet!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You will be surprised how much you can see and do in 5 weeks,,,Four days down is very very easy and that gives you a good 3 and a half weeks on Costa Blanca..Go for it,,,but cross the border on the Med and you will have no snow worries,,Good luck,,BUSBY.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
At this time of year it's always a gamble on where to cross, my choice is further North at the Somport tunnel BUT you need check weather conditions as you get close. Back up and safer route is crossing at Irun..
Reduced daylight, crap weather and using non toll roads will slow the journey But we have done winter trips down to Benidorm from the Midlands with 3- 4 night stops, just me driving and keeping to daylight hours..
Has to be Valencia and south for any decent weather this time of year.
So as Busby says you can get 3 - 3 and a half weeks in on the Costa Blanca.

Dont underestimate the distance, Be prepared and stocked for poor weather also water as places like Aires could be turned off.
Using tolls will be fast but hurts the wallet, be aware of all the new lower speed limits and overtaking restrictions based on vehicle weight..

Safe trip.. We hope to be down there but not till late February..(y)

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
The free app infocar will give you updates on road conditions, live app very useful

OP
OP
MikenSue
Aug 21, 2009
leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for all the useful advice. We have a young dog who wasn't too happy with our last crossing Dover/Calais so don't want to risk a longer crossing still. Was looking at the Funsters vet map and it looks like we have many options for vets capable of doing pet passport for us as we travel back through France. Any thoughts?.
It seems we have more travelling routes than I thought, so probably will see what the weather is like just before returning to see which route to take. Not used Infocar before but looks good.

OP
OP
MikenSue
Aug 21, 2009
leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2009
Couldn't download Infocar but found another. Hope to keep off peage as much as poss but willing to if needs must. Especially if weather poor.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back