PVC on display at the NEC....too cheap?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Browsing the Motorhome show at the NEC Yesterday.
Nearly all the PVC's were priced between 70 and 80 K.
The layouts were almost identical - with only minor variations.
Except one.
The Auto-trail Expedition 67. Pretty similar layout to many others, BUT over 15K cheaper than it's nearest rival.
I gave the van a really good look over and failed to see any obvious difference in quality, with many of the fittings - cooker, sink, bathroom, etc almost identical to those in other vans. Same base unit of Fiat Ducato as the others too.
It seems a really good deal.
I am very tempted to go for this van. Am i missing something?. Why that huge disparity in price?.
Surely no amount of "extras" the other vans might have had could amount to 15K?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
L
Browsing the Motorhome show at the NEC Yesterday.
Nearly all the PVC's were priced between 70 and 80 K.
The layouts were almost identical - with only minor variations.
Except one.
The Auto-trail Expedition 67. Pretty similar layout to many others, BUT over 15K cheaper than it's nearest rival.
I gave the van a really good look over and failed to see any obvious difference in quality, with many of the fittings - cooker, sink, bathroom, etc almost identical to those in other vans. Same base unit of Fiat Ducato as the others too.
It seems a really good deal.
I am very tempted to go for this van. Am i missing something?. Why that huge disparity in price?.
Surely no amount of "extras" the other vans might have had could amount to 15K?
Looks ok to me maybe it's been introduced since they have been struggling to sell them at list prices

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson S697
I watched a couple of show videos the other day and had to rewind one when the chap was mentioning prices of these and I thought he had been incorrect...turns out he wasn't. (I even double checked on autotrader...sad I know)

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
The Expedition does have similar layout to the V-Line but there are key differences to keep the price down. Tiny gas bottle inside rather than underslung tank. Microwave missing (actually I think that's good). No solar. No awning. No panoramic front roof window and simpler ceiling lining withoit the little stowage pockets. Essentially it keeps it all basic rather than the bling of the other vans. That could for some be a good thing, allowing say you to do your own upgrades to say power such as lithium rather than having to pay for a pants system that still wasn't up to it in the more sophisticated van.

But seriously do look at the build quality of any Autotrail vehicle. They couldn't even get good ones to the show. I saw in one V-line 540 the bathroom wall panel mastic seals had already split and that was only the Wednesday :(

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I understand that the 2025 Rimor Horus 38 PVC is being shown at the NEC. Guide price £55,595.

Having seen a review on Youtube (but not seen the van in the flesh) the quality looks acceptable for an entry-level PVC.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Expedition
Exp
Since 2015
When I bought my 67, I viewed it as a starter van that I could modify into something that met my requirements. I didn't want to spend money on things I didn't want or need, like TVs, awnings and panoramic windows.

I knew exactly what I wanted it for, 10 -15 trips to Aberdeen a year for the football and short jaunts to France & Spain in summer. I also take it to The Alps for skiing so I was I knew I would have to add an underslung LPG tank, extra insulation and beef-up the electrics (thanks Vanbitz and Autogas2000). I've added a raised fixed bed with a proper mattress which has increased my storage space. I've also added a tank heater and extra insulation to the fresh water.

I've probably spent about 5K on it but it now fits me like a glove.

For me, it's a good basic van with similar build quality to other vans I've owned but I can see that if you like the trimmings, it's probably not for you.

If you're on Facebook, there's an Expedition Owners group who are great for modification ideas.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
There’s a few panel vans that are cheap now- Benimar are doing cheap Pvs now also Joa ?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We saw a nice Giotti on Thursday. We were quite impressed with the quality.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back