138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The question is does it work or is it just temporary. This is for the car and not the MH. Been in for a service and they have found something stuck in the tyre. Its near the edge not in the sidewall as the tyre has only done 5K bit reluctant o fork out for a new one so wondering if pulling out offending object which looks like a nail of some sort and filling tyre with repair goo will do the job.

The garage have not touched the nail and it's still up to pressure so could be that the nail does not go all the way through.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Take it to a tyre repair place, not one of the big tyre centres, if it’s safe to repair they will fix it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The spray can tyre fix stuff is a get you home backup and prevents the puncture being fixed. Many tyre places wont take in a repair/replacement when there is glue in the tyre as it makes a huge mess of their tools etc

either have the puncture fixed properly or use a rubber plug

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Just take it to a basic tyre depot and get it repaired if it's necessary.

I had a screw in a front tyre whilst on holiday in France last Summer, it was leaking so I had to change the wheel in a supermarket car-park for convenience. I then looked for a tyre workshop that obviously by its looks dealt with everyday tyre jobs for farmers, HGVs etc. Apart from having to show the 'lad' how to take the wheel from its carriage the job was done quickly and cheaply (€18) including swapping spare to road going. Far cheaper that most tyre companies here in the UK!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Take it to tyre repair place, our local one charges about £15-£20.
They hate it when the cans of gunge have been used, it's a real pain to clear out so will cost extra.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As Qfour has pointed out the object is close to the edge of the tread...... Regular tyre repair garages won't touch it.
It would be classed as a major tyre repair.

British Standard BSAU159 also defines the requirements for safe minor car tyre puncture repair and its proximity to the sidewall. To remain compliant, we are only able to carry out tyre repairs to the central ¾ of the tyre (known as the minor repair area). If the puncture is situated outside of this area it is deemed too close to the sidewall to guarantee a safe and lasting minor repair.

major-minor-repair-areas.jpg

OP
OP
138go

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
@pappajohn

Thanks for the pictures .. Might be lucky and get away with a repair

tyre.png

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would repair it.

But then, I repair my own.
My 4 wheel trailer has a plug much closer the side than that.....but the tyre had done less than 200 miles and I wasn't binning that.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Sorry just buy a new one . I am a banger runner but tyres are something that i would never skimp on . Even the cheapest chinese tyre would be better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back