Motorhome prices are still nuts! (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Our 2013 van is coming up to 5 years of being owned by us.

Out of interest, I put a search in to see how much they were now and managed to find an identical model for mileage and age.

I originally expected to lose about 3k a year in depreciation, which was acceptable based on the fact we use it so much and love having it.

So, how much have we actually lost?

The answer is nothing as it’s the same price as when we bought it. 🫣

That’s nuts!

I know Covid didn’t help, but how can a vehicle depreciate so little? The prices must drop soon surely?

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Prices are starting to make their way back down to the pre covid norm, I would think by the end of the year it’ll be much more sensible. The amount of MHs currently for sale says it all really.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Prices are starting to make their way back down to the pre covid norm, I would think by the end of the year it’ll be much more sensible. The amount of MHs currently for sale says it all really.
I keep thinking that, but they haven’t so far. I keep saying it to friends who have expressed an interest in Motorhomes but they seem to be holding their own.

May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
We bought our van almost 3 years ago, and accepted we were perhaps paying a small premium buying during the COVID surge.

However, checking on values this week for our upcoming insurance renewal, there are currently none of our model for sale on Autotrader for less than we paid for ours (except one which either has issues, is a scam or is mispriced by at least £10k!) - so ours has held its value or possibly even increased by £4-£5k!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
The LHD Challenger Vany we bought in December 2018 (6 month old ex-rental) sold in September 2023 for quite a bit more than we paid. Even the PX prices we were offered were more. Th price of new motorhomes/vans has gone bonkers since Covid. Consequently so have older ones.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Watched an interesting video on this subject the other day...

That video has been out for a while and might be the trade trying to talk the prices down, just look at current forecourt prices and see how things are going.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
We only got ours last summer, and at moment the (2) examples on sale are £5k more than we paid, and arguably worse specified as missing many upgrades the previous owner had made on ours (and some which we got as part of the deal).

I don't mind a £5k paper increase in 9 months, we expected to lose ~10-15K over the next 3 years min.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
That video has been out for a while and might be the trade trying to talk the prices down, just look at current forecourt prices and see how how things are going.

I think you are confusimg it with something else. That video was published/released on 6th may (2 days ago) and it is not talking prices down - it confirms what we are saying - motorhome prices are strong and staying strong. (Anyway, why would the trade try to talk prices down?)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I think you are confusimg it with something else. That video was published/released on 6th may (2 days ago) and it is not talking prices down - it confirms what we are saying - motorhome prices are strong and staying strong. (Anyway, why would the trade try to talk prices down?)
I didn’t watch much of it but looked like a video I had saw before which talked down the rising trend of motorhoming.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
All immaterial to what a van is worth now I think the best way to look at how much it’s lost is to see how much it cost to buy a new one.
My van is probably worth what I paid over 3 years ago but if I wanted a new one I would have to find over a £100k so £30k a year😳😳
Only time you win is when you are selling and not buying another van I think🤔🤔

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Our van is coming up for 4 years old, we bought just before Covid although couldn’t collect due to first lockdown. Someone has the same van but 2 years older with less extras than our advertised for £2k more than we paid for ours, the new model however has gone up by over £20K so I think that’s why the secondhand ones are up.

Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
All immaterial to what a van is worth now I think the best way to look at how much it’s lost is to see how much it cost to buy a new one.
My van is probably worth what I paid over 3 years ago but if I wanted a new one I would have to find over a £100k so £30k a year😳😳
Only time you win is when you are selling and not buying another van I think🤔🤔
Spot on, after 40 odd years in the motor trade one thing held good which was no matter how much you offered them in px it was the price to change that either made the deal or not.

Jul 5, 2022
Bridport, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
30 years
The important thing to remember is the motorhomes you are comparing yours with is the advertised price, the most relevant factor is these motorhomes are still for sale & not sold yet, the price realised when sold is the important factor.

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Just short of 12,000 on Autotrader at the moment. I’m keeping an eye on them and can see the ones that have what a lot of people want, e.g. 9 speed auto seem to sell quite quickly. A lot of vans have been on there over months.
It is true that new prices have continued to rise, above high inflation, and that must affect the second hand market. But I do think prices are beginning to plateau, at least I hope so, for our sake:LOL:

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Interesting video above (I don’t know how to quote :LOL:).What he ignores is inflation, albeit the rises have eclipsed that overall.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
A dealer won't give you the market price as a trade in though. He checks what you paid for it and will offer you lower. :unsure:
If you’re not trading in to the same dealer, just don’t tell em😁😁

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Spot on, after 40 odd years in the motor trade one thing held good which was no matter how much you offered them in px it was the price to change that either made the deal or not.
Even if you're not buying you still lose as the money you end up with won't have the same real value as a result of inflation and loss of interest/investment return you would have earnt bottom line a MH is a depreciating asset
(often quite substantially) So it's costing you to own it Just try and get the best value by using it,as much as possible before the government tax ICE vehicles off the road

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
A dealer won't give you the market price as a trade in though. He checks what you paid for it and will offer you lower. :unsure:
So we traded in at the NEC in October for new van we are picking up next Friday (fingers crossed). Before show we had agreed a trade in price, at the show we went thru the configuration and I told the dealer how much I had to spend to change which is the most important thing. He said have a walk round and he will talk to the manufacturer about what they can do along with what he can do. Deal includes extras on the van from maker plus alarm, tracker, solar and a few other things from dealer.

Upshot is we gout 6k less on trade in than we paid 5 years ago and nearly 7k off new van. We were/are happy with deal as whatever we got it didn't matter as he (just about) matched what amount I told him we had to spend to change.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
The prices can't stay high for ever. The big drop used to be in the first 3 years, you lost 10k as soon as you drove off the forecourt. Then there was a gradual depreciation. That hasn't happened on vans bought new 5 or 6 years ago so when will the big drop come? When a van is reaching the end of its life its worth nothing. The depreciation curve on these vans is going to look interesting.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
A few weeks ago I was talking to the owner of a campsite that has quite a few static caravans.
He said the market for second hand statics had crashed, and quite a few families who purchased during Covid were now selling up due to lack of use.
He said they were getting a huge shock, as some were expecting to get their money back but were now taking a major hit with depreciation.
I expect second hand motorhomes will go the same way over the next year.
A five year old motorhome selling for more than what it cost new is not a normal situation.
As IRHP said, at the end of their life they are worthless, so when will the big depreciation happen?
It has to happen sometime.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
A few weeks ago I was talking to the owner of a campsite that has quite a few static caravans.
He said the market for second hand statics had crashed, and quite a few families who purchased during Covid were now selling up due to lack of use.
He said they were getting a huge shock, as some were expecting to get their money back but were now taking a major hit with depreciation.
I expect second hand motorhomes will go the same way over the next year.
A five year old motorhome selling for more than what it cost new is not a normal situation.
As IRHP said, at the end of their life they are worthless, so when will the big depreciation happen?
It has to happen sometime.
I think statics are different, the ground rent is so crippling for some that people are genuinely leaving due to the ground rent.

Example the in-laws site up near Brid has gone from 4K a year in 2019 to 7K in 2024. Thats a lot if you only use it weekends as many owners do. The in-laws practically live there and it's their gym membership, pool, entertainment, and golf club so for them the benefits are not bad.

However on the owners forum theres a "distressed" van being sold for 20K-40K each week, when new the owner paid 80-150.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019

Out of interest, I put a search in to see how much they were now and managed to find an identical model for mileage and age.

I originally expected to lose about 3k a year in depreciation, which was acceptable based on the fact we use it so much and love having it.

That’s nuts!

I know Covid didn’t help, but how can a vehicle depreciate so little? The prices must drop soon surely?
What something is advertised for and what it actually sells for are two different things as I am sure you are aware. That said, it may be that the Bailey Alliance has a dedicated fanbase that helps to keep prices up whilst other motor homes may be depreciating. Predicting market direction on the basis of one make and model is a little tricky methinks . . . . . That said our Ace Siena seems to be holding the pre-Covid price we paid for it (on there basis of the few that are advertised) so maybe the downward trend in prices is fairly slow.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
What something is advertised for and what it actually sells for are two different things as I am sure you are aware. That said, it may be that the Bailey Alliance has a dedicated fanbase that helps to keep prices up whilst other motor homes may be depreciating. Predicting market direction on the basis of one make and model is a little tricky methinks . . . . . That said our Ace Siena seems to be holding the pre-Covid price we paid for it (on there basis of the few that are advertised) so maybe the downward trend in prices is fairly slow.

I think the issue is the lack of supply on the "new" side. I know we certainally ruled out a New model (we had the money) due to the 1-2 year wait. We still don't disagree with that decision having used the motorhome every other weekend minimum since ownership, and the entire 3 week Christmas break. We're to point we are putting near as many miles on the motorhome as our "daily driver".

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

That’s nuts!

Your Motorhome will have dropped in value against a new vehicle, so if you paid £50k five years ago a new model will probably be £90-£100k therefore your MoHo has devalued by 50%

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back