Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
I read many a post about how great Euro roads are. I disagree, I went to the Spa F1 and I think I still have some fillings left in! Lots of tar filled cracks which in the sun melt and suck your tyres in whatever direction they are going, lots of concrete sections of road that just shock everything and yes flaming big pot holes too. Glad to get back on UK roads.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
I read many a post about how great Euro roads are. I disagree, I went to the Spa F1 and I think I still have some fillings left in! Lots of tar filled cracks which in the sun melt and suck your tyres in whatever direction they are going, lots of concrete sections of road that just shock everything and yes flaming big pot holes too. Glad to get back on UK roads.
Some Non Toll roads in the Algarve are DIRE to say the least :LOL: UK hasn't got first place for potholes at the moment!

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
That's because you went to Belgium where Pot holes were invented, the roads in other European countries are significantly better.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Belgium is certainly not typical of EU roads, they're amongst the worst.
Some feel like they were bombed in WWll and not yet repaired

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Belgium is certainly not typical of EU roads, they're amongst the worst.
Some feel like they were bombed in WWll and not yet repaired
5 years ago, I'd agree. But they've done a lot of maintenance. And we haven't. Some counties are worse then others, but overall I think the UK is easily worse than Belgium now.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
My cruise control drops out on bad potholes. On the last 2000 mile trip around France, Belgium, Holland, Germany it dropped out once in Belgium. It dropped out 10 times between Dover and Lincolnshire (6 times going out 4 times coming back).

Apr 20, 2022
Brighouse, UK
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 155 2016
Exp
Since 2020
I have to admit some of the roads through towns in france this year were poorer than last year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Having recently done about 1000 miles on French roads, the absence of potholes was startling to someone used to UK roads, probably spending too much attention on trying to avoid them.

I came across only 2 bad stretches of D roads with a few potholes. Isolated examples, not typical of well-maintained French roads and motorways.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I have to admit some of the roads through towns in france this year were poorer than last year.

Because they are maintained by the communes? Communes who are starved of cash by Macron?

On the other hand, there is plenty of cash for new traffic calming chicanes, ramps / speed tables, and 30 kph urban speed limits everywhere. A bit like Wales ... :rolleyes:

Priorities, eh.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back