Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
2x100w on roof, wired in parallel.
1x125w stand-alone, "plugged-in" when required.

I've previously connected the stand alone panel to the 100/20 mppt in parallel with the others.

Is this acceptable practice, I ask, belatedly, or should I put in a second mppt dedicated to this panel ?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I'm assuming the stand alone doesn't have its own in built mppt ?

I personally would do the simplest method that makes it easier and potentially offers options. Because my folding panel has an in built, I just added an external Anderson socket wired direct to the battery, so it also works as an external 12v supply if needed.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Depends what voltage the extra panel is. If you want it to work on your existing regulator it needs to have the same voltage rating as the other panels.

My portable panel came with a Chinese regulator stuck on the back but I unwired it and fitted another votronic regulator under the bench seat šŸ‘Œ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Personally I would fit a 2nd controller so as not to have to faff with the existing wiring?
No faff involved. I just inserted one of these in the existing panels' wiring; two in, two out, straight thro' for panels on the roof and using a spare pair for the 'extra'.
Easy make and break - the extra panel is still in it's box when it's bening plugged in ...
Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 15.14.39.jpg

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning oneā€¦
Which controller do you have for roof panels?
Discovered my NDS mppt has a ā€˜spare slotā€™ for an extra panel, so going to try that before splashing out on another mppt. (Adria van)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back