Planning and Sharing Routes with Google Maps (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Quite a few folk use Google Maps for navigation. It isn't perfect and won't know the size of your MH and will take you on obscure short cuts but it's free and will automatically re-route around traffic jams.

I've been using it exclusively for the last few years but only in a very limited way in the sense I would tell it where I wanted to go and then just let it decide how to get there.

On our current trip we spent a few days following the Charente River in France and my basic approach wasn't ideal. This was because it's focus on the destination meant we missed parts of the river as it meandered through the French countryside.

The answer was to work out how to add waypoints, or intermediate destinations. Then, because this was easier to do on the larger screen of my tablet, how do I copy the route to my phone which sits on the dashboard while driving?

This post is my explanation of how to achieve this. I should emphasise, other navigation programs are available. :) This is for Google Maps only and the example device is Android.

Let's assume you want to drive to an aire. In this example I'm using the Camping-Car Parks app but most other apps have the same feature of taking you directly from the app to Google Maps.

Here's a screen from the CCP app.

Screenshot_20230915_130123_CAMPING-CAR PARK.jpg

Note the "Let's go" button in the upper right. If you click this it will take you to Google Maps.

Screenshot_20230915_163714_Maps.jpg

The red pin is the aire I want to go to. You don't have to do it this way. If you find where you want to go on Google Maps you can click on the place to create a "Dropped pin". Whichever way you do it the next thing to do is click on the "Directions" button in the bottom left.

Screenshot_20230915_163959_Maps.jpg

So there's your route. You could just click on "Start" and let it lead the way but suppose we want to go to a supermarket first?

In the top right of the screen above there are three dots on the line marked "Your location". Click on these dots to reveal a new menu.

Screenshot_20230915_164252_Maps.jpg

This is where the clever stuff is. :)

If you click on "Add to home screen" it will place an icon on your device which will recall this route. But in this example we want to add a stop or waypoint.

So click on "Add stop" to take you to this page.

Screenshot_20230915_164651_Maps.jpg

This has added a "Choose stop along route" line. Clicking on this takes you to this page.

Screenshot_20230915_164855_Maps.jpg

This gives you the option to enter an address but I use the "Choose on map" option. When you click on this it takes you back to the map but with a red dropped pin in the middle of the screen.

Screenshot_20230915_165053_Maps.jpg

It helps at this point if you know where you want to stop because you are going to move the map until the red pin is over it. :)

Here I've found a supermarket.

Screenshot_20230915_165333_Maps.jpg

Click "OK" in the top right and this adds the stop to the route.

Screenshot_20230915_165442_Maps.jpg

You can additional stops and these can be re-arranged by dragging them using the two horizontal lines symbol.

Once complete you can press "Done".

Screenshot_20230915_165732_Maps.jpg

You could just press "Start" in the bottom left and it will start navigating but what if you want to send this route to another device?

The answer is to click on the three dots in the top right and open up this menu again.

Screenshot_20230915_165938_Maps.jpg

This time you select "Share directions".

Screenshot_20230915_170138_Maps.jpg

This screen offers options to copy the route to the clipboard or, in my case because I use Gmail, a direct link to Gmail. Whichever way you get there I just create an email to myself which contains a link to this route.

Having sent the email I open it on my phone, click on the link and Google Maps opens with this route already set.

I'm sure everyone does it this way but it was new to me. :)

I've used this method for a few trips recently and it has worked well. My only complaint is when you have reached a waypoint it doesn't automatically then switch to the next destination until you press the "continue" button which appears on the screen. This is a bit irritating but can be lived with.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've been doing something very similar with Google Maps for a while. I saved the Shared Link in a Google Sheets spreadsheet of our planned itinerary. Then, each morning of our holiday, I'd open the spreadsheet on my phone, click on the link, which would open it in Google Maps, hit Navigate, then plug the phone into the dash for Android Auto to do it's thing.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've been doing something very similar with Google Maps for a while. I saved the Shared Link in a Google Sheets spreadsheet of our planned itinerary. Then, each morning of our holiday, I'd open the spreadsheet, click on the link, which would open it in Google Maps, hit Navigate, then plug the phone into the dash for Android Auto to do it's thing.
I'm not that organised but I can see how that would work very well. :)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the useful navigation tips and your time detailing it all.
I'm sure it'll be very helpful to many.
Google maps really is quite a powerful app with many good features that aren't always obvious.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I also use Google maps to plan routes on a MacBook, then send to my phone and save. Been doing this for the last couple of years. now.. Google maps are excellent.

I have a Garmin Camper 660 lying in a drawer unused.. for me it is old tech, using Google maps is so much easier, you can navigate straight out of a phone app such as Camper Contact .. no more mistakes entering co-ords or having to upload a stack of POIs that may be out of date, doing map updates etc . You can also just search on Google for whatever or wherever you want to go .. and just press Go

Am now planing to buy a cellular iPad, mainly for planning and navigating ..a 10" screen will be better than my 6"iPhone screen.

I read so many posts with discussion on "what is the best sat nav" when most if not all already have it in their pocket !

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I've been a fan of Googles products for a while. They seem, to me at least, to be no nonsense do what it says on the tin type of products. Like you I use this function in maps, their photos platform is well documented on this forum and I use Google Sheets for all my self employed tax stuff. Google Drive is solid enough and their pixelbook (chromebook) is a really nice bit of kit also.

When I was doing takeaway delivery Google Maps is quick enough to be able to enter the address then check for a streetview to see what door you should be looking for before parking up.

Only black mark I have against them is the way they treat small businesses. My sister had some right bother with them taking down legitimate reviews for no reason.

Anyways, nice post DBK I'm sure people will find it very informative.

Reactions: DBK
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I use a 9" tablet to navigate used longways up, this year I put on my new prescription sunglasses and the screen went black, their polarised, and I didn't want to turn the screen, so I drove with my normal glasses with non polarised sunglasses on as well.
I now have a pair on non polarised prescription sunglasses.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I use Google Maps from my phone with Android Auto on my Sony 9" head unit. But as backup, I've got a Lenovo Tab M9 tablet which also has Sygic Truck. The tablet is cheap, bright, pretty fast and light enough that it'll hang off a magnetic mount on my dash.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have a Garmin Camper 660 lying in a drawer unused.. for me it is old tech,

I have an unlimited data package with Three and use Apple and Google maps in the UK.

But I love my Garmin when over the water and travelling every day. I can squirt the precise route I want to take to the machine. And then let it guide me without being charged 2 quid a day by Three Mobile and have the maps eat my data as I travel.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Quite a few folk use Google Maps for navigation. It isn't perfect and won't know the size of your MH and will take you on obscure short cuts but it's free and will automatically re-route around traffic jams.

I've been using it exclusively for the last few years but only in a very limited way in the sense I would tell it where I wanted to go and then just let it decide how to get there.

On our current trip we spent a few days following the Charente River in France and my basic approach wasn't ideal. This was because it's focus on the destination meant we missed parts of the river as it meandered through the French countryside.

The answer was to work out how to add waypoints, or intermediate destinations. Then, because this was easier to do on the larger screen of my tablet, how do I copy the route to my phone which sits on the dashboard while driving?

This post is my explanation of how to achieve this. I should emphasise, other navigation programs are available. :) This is for Google Maps only and the example device is Android.

Let's assume you want to drive to an aire. In this example I'm using the Camping-Car Parks app but most other apps have the same feature of taking you directly from the app to Google Maps.

Here's a screen from the CCP app.

View attachment 809330

Note the "Let's go" button in the upper right. If you click this it will take you to Google Maps.

View attachment 809335

The red pin is the aire I want to go to. You don't have to do it this way. If you find where you want to go on Google Maps you can click on the place to create a "Dropped pin". Whichever way you do it the next thing to do is click on the "Directions" button in the bottom left.

View attachment 809336

So there's your route. You could just click on "Start" and let it lead the way but suppose we want to go to a supermarket first?

In the top right of the screen above there are three dots on the line marked "Your location". Click on these dots to reveal a new menu.

View attachment 809337

This is where the clever stuff is. :)

If you click on "Add to home screen" it will place an icon on your device which will recall this route. But in this example we want to add a stop or waypoint.

So click on "Add stop" to take you to this page.

View attachment 809339

This has added a "Choose stop along route" line. Clicking on this takes you to this page.

View attachment 809340

This gives you the option to enter an address but I use the "Choose on map" option. When you click on this it takes you back to the map but with a red dropped pin in the middle of the screen.

View attachment 809342
It helps at this point if you know where you want to stop because you are going to move the map until the red pin is over it. :)

Here I've found a supermarket.

View attachment 809345

Click "OK" in the top right and this adds the stop to the route.

View attachment 809365

You can additional stops and these can be re-arranged by dragging them using the two horizontal lines symbol.

Once complete you can press "Done".

View attachment 809384

You could just press "Start" in the bottom left and it will start navigating but what if you want to send this route to another device?

The answer is to click on the three dots in the top right and open up this menu again.

View attachment 809385

This time you select "Share directions".

View attachment 809386

This screen offers options to copy the route to the clipboard or, in my case because I use Gmail, a direct link to Gmail. Whichever way you get there I just create an email to myself which contains a link to this route.

Having sent the email I open it on my phone, click on the link and Google Maps opens with this route already set.

I'm sure everyone does it this way but it was new to me. :)

I've used this method for a few trips recently and it has worked well. My only complaint is when you have reached a waypoint it doesn't automatically then switch to the next destination until you press the "continue" button which appears on the screen. This is a bit irritating but can be lived with.

Great post, so much better to tell the SatNav where you want to go, rather than have it surprise you (y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Is it possible to send the route to copilot?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
But I love my Garmin when over the water and travelling every day. I can squirt the precise route I want to take to the machine. And then let it guide me without being charged 2 quid a day by Three Mobile and have the maps eat my data as I travel.
Fair point...

I will pull mine out of hibernation and update the maps.. never know when it may be needed.. 👍

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I will pull mine out of hibernation and update the maps.. never know when it may be needed.

I'm told that Google maps only uses between 5 and 10mb an hour, I know it's not much but, can add up. It's nice to have the Garmin on the dash costing me nothing (y)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Is it possible to send the route to copilot?
I haven't looked at that. The link Jim posted includes the step "export as kml file" which you can't do directly from Google Maps anymore, although you could in an earlier version.

It may be possible to do it using Google Mymaps but after a quick fiddle just now I couldn't work out how to add the route to Mymaps, which would be the first step needed.

There may also be third party apps which could take the URL, which is how the route is shared, and then created a file in the format required.

If there is a Co-Pilot forum it would be worth asking there.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I have an unlimited data package with Three and use Apple and Google maps in the UK.

How do you send a precise route to the Garmin please? I can send co ordinates, but one of my pet hates with the Garmin is never quite knowing where it’s sending me! I’d love to plan the route on my iPad & send it over to the Garmin Camper! Can that be done?

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
How do you send a precise route to the Garmin please? I can send co ordinates, but one of my pet hates with the Garmin is never quite knowing where it’s sending me! I’d love to plan the route on my iPad & send it over to the Garmin Camper! Can that be done?
There's a thing called Garmin Basecamp which can be used to plot a route and then squirt it into a Garmin GPS. I've not used it but I would check first if your Garmin GPS is compatible and then what systems Basecamp will run on. :)

Last edited:

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I’ve just discovered Garmin Drive app, & thought yippee! Too soon, I’m afraid as ours is a Camper 770, & is not compatible! 😤

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I’ve just discovered Garmin Drive app, & thought yippee! Too soon, I’m afraid as ours is a Camper 770, & is not compatible! 😤
Garmin is champion at creating dozens of slightly different products with overlapping but slightly different functionality. Each with their own ecosystem of supporting software, apps, cradles and cables.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back