Pet passport in France, sorry for another post but could really do with the help! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Maralions

Free Member
Jun 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
Renault master
Hi all,

We'd really appreciate a little advice regarding getting our dog a passport. We're currently in France (near Carcassonne) and will be returning on the 1st. Our van broke down so we have been in a mess the past fortnight and all our plans changed from getting a passport in Spain, which seemed easier.

We would like to get one for our dog, and have heard good things about the vets in Buchy. We can stop there on Friday and book an appointment. We need a tapeworm thing anyway.

Forgive the questions, but I'm finding the whole thing quite confusing. Can someone possibly answer:

• Can we use our UK address? If not, we have a friend in Spain who is the dog's 'second dad' who's address we can use. Is this ok, or do we need a French address?
  • We have been here nearly a month but don't have the 3 month visa
  • We haven't registered with ICAD, is this a problem?
  • Does anyone have any experience with the vets in Buchy and if this would be possible? If not, is there a recommendation for a vet roughly between Carcassonne and Calais?

Sorry again if some of this has already been answered, I have had a look at some threads but just really not sure about the current situation. We don't have good internet so struggling a bit.

Thanks so much everyone! maz you seem to be really up on this, could you possibly help?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Try the vet in la fleche, very accommodating.

Give campsite address if needed.

If you get rabies jab get 3 year one and you will have to use AHC to get back.

OP
OP
M

Maralions

Free Member
Jun 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
Renault master
Thanks very much. He has his 3 year jab from the UK - is this not transferable? So we'd have to get another one?

By campsite do you mean just use a French campsite and avoid giving the UK or Spanish one?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks very much. He has his 3 year jab from the UK - is this not transferable? So we'd have to get another one?

By campsite do you mean just use a French campsite and avoid giving the UK or Spanish one?
Some vets will transfer, when reggie got a PP they wouldn't so we got another one and as it was basque region it only lasted a year so we got a 3 year one in jaca last year.

Yes give camp site address if they insist on a French one.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
No its not transferable Do not let your English vet put anything in the passport! if you get one . You will have to get another rabies jab by the vet abroad, wont do any harm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
we don’t have experience of Buchy vet for passport other than having tapeworm treatment on Monday and that was 35€ for a 7kg dog.
I’ve found you get a better response from if you use Facebook messenger

OP
OP
M

Maralions

Free Member
Jun 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
Renault master
Great. La fleche is a little far for us (we are a bit stuck with the van and trying not to drive too much at one time with the dog). But if it's the best place we will give it a go!

Mandatory picture of our good boy.

1000028485.jpg

OP
OP
M

Maralions

Free Member
Jun 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
Renault master
Thanks Manic, I will message them. Should I be transparent about being from the UK and not having the visa or is there anything I need to be colourful about or not share?!

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi all,

We'd really appreciate a little advice regarding getting our dog a passport. We're currently in France (near Carcassonne) and will be returning on the 1st. Our van broke down so we have been in a mess the past fortnight and all our plans changed from getting a passport in Spain, which seemed easier.

We would like to get one for our dog, and have heard good things about the vets in Buchy. We can stop there on Friday and book an appointment. We need a tapeworm thing anyway.

Forgive the questions, but I'm finding the whole thing quite confusing. Can someone possibly answer:

• Can we use our UK address? If not, we have a friend in Spain who is the dog's 'second dad' who's address we can use. Is this ok, or do we need a French address?
  • We have been here nearly a month but don't have the 3 month visa
  • We haven't registered with ICAD, is this a problem?
  • Does anyone have any experience with the vets in Buchy and if this would be possible? If not, is there a recommendation for a vet roughly between Carcassonne and Calais?

Sorry again if some of this has already been answered, I have had a look at some threads but just really not sure about the current situation. We don't have good internet so struggling a bit.

Thanks so much everyone! maz you seem to be really up on this, could you possibly help?
Hi Maralions and welcome to the Fun!
:welcome3:

I'll try and answer your questions but, as with most things Pet Passport, it can get complicated. As you say, it is easier to get a Pet Passport in Spain than France.

1. There is no legal reason why you can not use your UK address however many French vets will insist that you must have a French address. Some will be happy with any French address eg a campsite. Others will say you must be a French resident or own a holiday home or must be staying in France for more than 3 months. These are all misinterpretations that stem from the badly-worded 'Br*x*t statement' on the I-cad website but unfortunately arguing the toss is unlikely to get you anywhere. A Spanish address is unlikely to sway any of the vets that want a French address.

2. Forget about any visa. This might sway a vet who maintains that you have to be in France for more than 3 months in order to get a Pet Passport, but they would still be wanting a 'proper' French address.

3. Some, probably most, vets will insist that you have to be registered with I-cad before they will issue a Pet Passport. This is not a legal requirement unless you are staying in France for more than 3 months.

4. I have never used the vets at Buchy. I know that a fair few Funsters use them for the worming treatment but I don't recall anyone getting a Pet Passport from them. I have a list of French vets that have relatively recently issued Pet Passports to Brits that I pass on to subscribing members. This list has been compiled mainly from Facebook posts so if you do not wish to subscribe then the information can be found there, albeit with a lot of trawling.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
You can have a Pet Passport issued on the basis of transferred vaccination details but this needs to be done properly. Unless you really understand the process it is safer to get another rabies vaccination at the time that the Pet Passport is issued.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back