Permanent rear view camera. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Our A class having no rear window and being concerned at how close some driver seem to get these days thought I would supplement the reversing camera which only looks back about 8 ft with a permanent one. As the van is 5 years old and still has a damp warranty till it’s 10 I wanted to fit it without penetrating the body. It’s already got to go in for damp found in thhe boot at the last check, considering it had no inner seals fitted to the doors and a lot of moaning to get burstner to supply the seals FOC. It wasn’t about the cost its the principle. Anyway enough of the moan. Bought a wireless one from Amazon as did not want the hassle of getting the camera lead all the way to the front so bought this one.

It states that permanent use could shorten the life so decided to run a power cable up to the front so could turn it on when needed. A thin power wire is much easier to handle than a data one. The number plate is in a body moulding that does not enter the main body so drilling a hole above the number plate wont effect the damp warranty, along the chassis to the drop vent under the oven, up through behind the cupboards and along to the overcab bed clipped it to the wire that goes to the lights so no drama and across to the monitor which is mounted under the overhead bed. Easy to reach to turn on and off so long run small sliver button just in front of the monitor. On a dual carriageway or motorway not so bed but ideal for narrow roads.
1725797755966.jpeg
\\
1725797791767.jpeg

1725797868427.jpeg

1725797910695.jpeg

1725797950402.jpeg

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Well done good installation.
I have a cheap rear view camera sending video to a 'normal' monitor clipped to the rear view mirror.
This is on constantly.
5 years ago the monitor failed. I replaced it with one from Ebay, cost me £18.
It's still going strong.
Based on this I don't think there is at least for me any serious concern with the monitor being on permanently. The monitor I bought is identical to those sold at around £100.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I fitted a dual lens camera to my previous van. The reversing view was a wide angle similar to that one. But even cars a few lengths back were just dots. The other 'rear view' lens was considerably narrower and gave an image much closer to a rear view mirror. It was wired so the rear view was on permanently on a monitor and the downward facing reversing lens appeared on my radio when I hit reverse.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you have DRLs and the rear side light is on all the time couldn't you just feed from the live for that?
Your power lead should have a low ampage fuse where it joins the existing wiring.

OP
OP
Bessy765
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have no rear DRL’s and the wiring for the monitor and camera are protected via a 1 amp fuse, it is also in the book of words that the life of the camera may be shortened if left permanently on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I fitted a Du Du Bell rear view mirror camera which is also a dashcam having a from view camera and it records both front and rear cameras output
but for us the main thing is a permanent rear view mirror great as our solid back wall doesn't help visibility even though the C class comes with a rear view mirror bonded to the windscreen the perfect mount for the dashcam/mirror

2019-12-10 - 14;34;57.jpg

OP
OP
Bessy765
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We needed to have a seperate set up rather than a combined front and rear camera as dash cams are illegal in Portugal and we spend a lot of time there. Having already been warned once by a Portuguese policeman not worth the risk although I think the rule is daft.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back