People complain about English roads ... try SW Scotland! (18 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having just had a month's trip to SW Scotland we found many of the roads much worse than during our last trip in 2022, lots more pot holes and what's worse is that many roads had been 'surface dressed' without fixing some of the bigger holes first! The worse by far though are roads which have had a tarmac-mix surface put on them, the look nice and 'shiny' but the truth is they are horrendous as whichever 'muppet' was contracted to do them didn't know that when laying, and levelling/tamping, you do the latter running with the road direction, instead many had been done across the road so you get miles and miles of ripples with no way to do a reasonable speed and certainly not the max speed limit unless you want to lose your fillings! I thought for one minute we'd detoured and were on our way to Grimsby on the A180 which is horrendous due to the concrete 'ripple' surface.

We love SW Scotland (this was our 5th trip) but have to say the roads have seriously put us off doing another as they were just so awful to travel on.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Was a bit surprised myself Minxy when we were there earlier this year. sister who lives there says some have improved 🤣
We cut our break short but only because our leisure battery failed, very small compartment and, other than changing to solar, we had to source the same battery as was in.
will probably be back next year as missed out on seeing a lot of the family and got a lot of stick for it too.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Living in Dumfries I can 100% agree with you, I cycle over 100 miles a week so totally get where you’re coming from. Some of the pot holes are quite deep and with the rain we’ve had recently they’re also quite dangerous, if they want to promote the area they need to fix the roads.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If only those in charge in Scotland had had the opportunity to run a motorhome for a while and see what it was like in real time, they could have spent some of their stash sorting the roads out, oh wait a moment......:whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
carado
Exp
If only those in charge in Scotland had had the opportunity to run a motorhome for a while and see what it was like in real time, they could have spent some of their stash sorting the roads out, oh wait a moment......:whistle:
That one was a drive Queen :love:

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
There at the moment and whilst there are far fewer potholes the road surface makes for uncomfortable driving. Add to that the odd unmarked and well disguised bit of subsidence and “we have liftoff”.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Not just south west Scotland. The roads are awful round here as well. Obviously the huge agricultural vehicles take a toll but repairs are of the cheap and careless variety so don't last.

Aug 16, 2024
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
dipping a toe
Been travelling to the republic of Ireland for nearly 30 years, when I first went it was noticeable that the roads were inferior to those of the UK. Some 25+ years on, its noticeable that the situation has been reversed.

May 2, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Frontier
Exp
I'm a newbie
Been travelling to the republic of Ireland for nearly 30 years, when I first went it was noticeable that the roads were inferior to those of the UK. Some 25+ years on, its noticeable that the situation has been reversed.
We noticed roads in Northern Ireland are like being on a roller coaster with so many dips, as soon as you are South, the roads make for a much smoother ride.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Southern Ireland used EU money for road building. Unfortunately NI money allocation didn’t get past London

Nov 18, 2022
Holmfirth, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 135
When I’m rolling smoothly along the narrow back roads of the Spanish Pyrenees and hauling the van round the 180° bends to the next mountain pass, it makes me laugh to think of Scottish roads. They are so pathetically bad by comparison.

May 2, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Frontier
Exp
I'm a newbie
Southern Ireland used EU money for road building. Unfortunately NI money allocation didn’t get past London
Son and DiL live North and they are so used to the roads they don't notice it as much as we do when in their car and being launched off the back seat at every dip!🤣

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back