LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
We have come to the opinion we think we could get on with a paddleboard.

We think we want one which would carry the pair of us c150 kgs and whether that would be both standing up or not or one sat down doesn't overly concern us. We presume you can both sit on them and use them in a canoe style as well with the picnic in a waterproof rucksack.

Is there a paddleboard size that we would need ?
Are the ones from Temu cost effective ? I.e. the same as Amazon only cheaper.

We see their use as when we are parked by lake or river with the motorhome as don't want to transport them too far. Sea usage is not discounted.

What other things do we need to consider (we are both relatively strong swimmers)

Rollingwheels

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2021
Fordingbridge, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2002
Another option worth considering is a fold up kayak we have two and they fold down small enough to go in our garage along with our bikes, they are a lot easier to control than a paddle board especially if you are considering sitting on it rather than standing up and they do a two person one also.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Another option worth considering is a fold up kayak we have two and they fold down small enough to go in our garage along with our bikes, they are a lot easier to control than a paddle board especially if you are considering sitting on it rather than standing up and they do a two person one also.
We have an inflatable canoe but never really used it.
Might consider giving it another go.

Jun 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
My advice would be what ever - take some lessons, as you will be surprised when you have the correct process re standing, paddling, turning it will help you when out on the water.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Very interesting I’ve never heard of this before 👍

Dec 9, 2017
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Amudsen
Paddleboarding is my job.
Strange I know that someone can make a living from this 😊 I won’t recommend a brand as I don’t know your budget. The budget really does make a difference. My recomendation If your going to look at one the brands on Amazon to carry two people is to get one that will inflate to 20psi.

I would get two smaller boards and paddle together.

Also before buying one many UK centres run ‘taster’ sessions with a qualified instructor where you can see if it’s for you.
At our own centre this is only £39 for two hours and is money well spent before investing.

Paul

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021

This can help you choose what you need

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Having had a paddle board for several years I would advise if you want two of you on the water then get 2 boards or a blow up kayak for 2. 2 people on a paddle board is just for a carry on. One unbalances the other.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
What do you want them for?
Just messing about on water, or to get somewhere?

If you want to get somewhere then there are touring bards which are far better for travelling.

A good board is not a lite as you may think, it does not pack that small and other kit is required to. Such as pump, paddle, ankle strap. The pumping up takes time, and or power. They need a lot of air, and quite a high pressure (18-20psi). 12v, battery, and manual available. You also want a pump that vacuums it out too.

There are seats available that make them more canoe like but for this use a different paddle is required.

We have recently got a pair, and I’m still trying to work out why. Sitting down makes more sense.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
What do you want them for?
Just messing about on water, or to get somewhere?

If you want to get somewhere then there are touring bards which are far better for travelling.

A good board is not a lite as you may think, it does not pack that small and other kit is required to. Such as pump, paddle, ankle strap. The pumping up takes time, and or power. They need a lot of air, and quite a high pressure (18-20psi). 12v, battery, and manual available. You also want a pump that vacuums it out too.

There are seats available that make them more canoe like but for this use a different paddle is required.

We have recently got a pair, and I’m still trying to work out why. Sitting down makes more sense.
More for getting to do something on a lake and/or getting to the nooks and crannies of the lakes/rivers. I think I need to revisit our inflateable canoe. I know its missing the keel thing but I must be able to get one of them

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
More for getting to do something on a lake and/or getting to the nooks and crannies of the lakes/rivers. I think I need to revisit our inflateable canoe. I know its missing the keel thing but I must be able to get one of them
Replacement keel must be easy to get as they are often lost, and also come in different flavours depending on what you are doing.
I would have preferred canoes, but I got the PBs for nothing, so worth a play.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Does anyone make inflatable windsurfers do you think? I did a lot of windsurfing back in the day but there's no room for a rigid one in the van.

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Not a paddle board but this is my inflatable Kayak. Sevylor Madison. Had it yonks. Been all over with it from the Scottish islands to the med. Its pretty battered now but I love it. If there are two of you I would reckon its more practical than a paddle board. Plenty of space to pack stuff for a picnic and store a dry bag. The whole thing goes in a bag and I can carry it on the scooter. Double skin and really tough.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Does anyone make inflatable windsurfers do you think? I did a lot of windsurfing back in the day but there's no room for a rigid one in the van.
Have a look at wingsurfing/wingfoiling....its not quite the same but looks pretty similar (to us non-experts!) and the equipment is inflatable.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Not a paddle board but this is my inflatable Kayak. Sevylor Madison. Had it yonks. Been all over with it from the Scottish islands to the med. Its pretty battered now but I love it. If there are two of you I would reckon its more practical than a paddle board. Plenty of space to pack stuff for a picnic and store a dry bag. The whole thing goes in a bag and I can carry it on the scooter. Double skin and really tough.

We ve got the 3 person version. I couldn't remember the name of it.

I ll find a keel for it over winter I think and re try that.

I found it a tad annoying as I used to canoe. But if I lower my expectations it should do the business and save me some money as well

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Paddle boards look great but having tried one they're not the easiest things to use in anything but calm weather and on calm water (unless you intentionally want to get soaked!). For me this would prove restrictive as I like it when it's a bit rougher so I can bob up and down over the waves ... I even chase the large cruise liners and commercial boat on canals etc to go over their wakes! :giggle:

Paddle boards also come in various types/sizes so you'd need to choose carefully that what you buy is the right one, I wouldn't go for a 2-person one as I think that's asking for trouble ... and arguments.

If you do decide to go the kayak route and get another one more suitable (ie 2 instead of 3 seater), then have a look at Gumotex ones, not sure if they still do the 'Twist 2' but I have the Twist 1 and it's very compact for storage and extremely manoeuvrable so a lot of fun, they have a skeg so track well too. Quality and use wise as they are single but very thick skinned (multilayer) they tough, easy to dry off (although not necessary) and store away unlike many which are the bladder type (internal bladder inside a zipped cover) which can take days to dry out properly ... been there, never again!

If you search under my user ID and Gumotex you'll find loads of info.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
What make is your inflatable?
Mike.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Paddle boards look great but having tried one they're not the easiest things to use in anything but calm weather and on calm water (unless you intentionally want to get soaked!). For me this would prove restrictive as I like it when it's a bit rougher so I can bob up and down over the waves ... I even chase the large cruise liners and commercial boat on canals etc to go over their wakes! :giggle:

Paddle boards also come in various types/sizes so you'd need to choose carefully that what you buy is the right one, I wouldn't go for a 2-person one as I think that's asking for trouble ... and arguments.

If you do decide to go the kayak route and get another one more suitable (ie 2 instead of 3 seater), then have a look at Gumotex ones, not sure if they still do the 'Twist 2' but I have the Twist 1 and it's very compact for storage and extremely manoeuvrable so a lot of fun, they have a skeg so track well too. Quality and use wise as they are single but very thick skinned (multilayer) they tough, easy to dry off (although not necessary) and store away unlike many which are the bladder type (internal bladder inside a zipped cover) which can take days to dry out properly ... been there, never again!

If you search under my user ID and Gumotex you'll fihttps://www.coastwatersports.co.uk/pro-flash-200-high-pressure-person-inflatable-kayak-pump-package-p-20410.html?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjNS3BhChARIsAOxBM6rRMZhATkglljdJB30yjaBmZ-S5cuQMv2q3gWBujmC_GFlclUPfzrgaAubXEALw_wcBnd loads of info.
+1 Gumotex. Also,
These are not Nitrilon, but a very tough PVC. I had a single version, and just picked up a double for a steal £509.00, which was a one off really great price. Can be used as dry or wet boat with screw out bungs in the floor. Tips the scales at a reasonable 17kg.
Mike.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Forget about 2 adults on a paddleboard it will be a PIA.
I ended up with one by accident bought it for my daughter as a birthday present but unknown to me here hubby got her one so I kept it for myself.

If is good fun but limited by conditions, if it's windy you often go backwards and have to kneel down to paddle back against the wind. Only useable on rivers with very slow currents unless there is someone to transport you back.
Only used mine once at home this year as its been too windy all year.

My £300 Amazon Goosewing job is as good as daughter's £400 Two Bare Feet but hers looks posher. A friend has £800 one and he reckons mine is better on the sea. I think it's pot luck with the cheap ones.

I have a two wheel trolly I strap it to, for getting down the beach 200yds as the crow fly but 500 yds around the road & of course an electric pump.

grasscutter & his other half Paddleboarder are into quite serious paddleboarding.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Forget two of you trying to stand on one paddle board. If you are just going to play around the two of you could sit on one and paddle about quite slowly.
For a starter boards the Lidl Mistral boards are OK.
Decathlon itwit boards get reasonable reviews.
Mid range boards will be in the region of £400.
Top end boards like Red Paddle or Starboard will be £800+
Depending where you are going to learn you probably will need wetsuits ( you fall off a lot when learning).
Also if going out of your depth you need to learn how to get back on a board.
A PFD ( personal flotation device) that’s not too bulky should also be considered.
What starts out as a bit of fun can become addictive.
We take our boards with us all over Europe.
Please don’t look at boards like the Temu ones or really cheap Tesco/The Range they really are only fit for children to play on.
IMG_2996.jpeg
IMG_0516.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I have a couple, I used to teach kayaking and canoeing to a fairly high level so I knew what I wanted.

I have the cheapest two bare feet one and another from Decathlon, not sure who makes it, but the two bare feet one is much, much more stable. Width really matters, however, the wider it is, the harder work it will be to paddle.

Also, the paddle makes a huge difference. I like the stiff carbon fibre ones, shaft and blade with a big blade. You do need to try a few though to see what suits.

I didn’t want an expensive one, it gets rolled up wet and stays that way for months, so far I have had them for 4 years and they are still going strong. Electric pump helps, but is slow and noisy.

I love doing trips on them, however, if the wind is over 10mph ish, I don’t even bother. They are awful in anything but calm days and very hard work.

My advice if you already have a canoe would be to keep it. It can do much more than the paddle board in a much bigger range of weather.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I think the canoe will be tried again. I probably expected too much from it.
We have bouyancy aids which came with the canoe but I dont think I would bother with them, certainly not for canoeing in the inflatable and probably not for SUP.
Really not concerned about falling into the water and we have wetsuits (5mm) from our surfing days and I have white water and surf canoed and was a lifeguard instructor and Paula was a lifeguard, and owing to how we would use these inflatable toys. I just cant foresee how a bouyancy aid would be of use to us. (yes I know I could fall off and hit my head etc but that hasnt happened and is highly highly unlikely to happen in a canoe on a lake as I think they are basically impossible to roll.

I get the width side of things from surfing as I had a 10 foot 6 long board (as I was rubbish at it !) But I did have a 7 foot 2 malibu where I could still do things on it, but I was a much better body boarder

Thanks for everyones input

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I think the canoe will be tried again. I probably expected too much from it.
We have bouyancy aids which came with the canoe but I dont think I would bother with them, certainly not for canoeing in the inflatable and probably not for SUP.
Really not concerned about falling into the water and we have wetsuits (5mm) from our surfing days and I have white water and surf canoed and was a lifeguard instructor and Paula was a lifeguard, and owing to how we would use these inflatable toys. I just cant foresee how a bouyancy aid would be of use to us. (yes I know I could fall off and hit my head etc but that hasnt happened and is highly highly unlikely to happen in a canoe on a lake as I think they are basically impossible to roll.

I get the width side of things from surfing as I had a 10 foot 6 long board (as I was rubbish at it !) But I did have a 7 foot 2 malibu where I could still do things on it, but I was a much better body boarder

Thanks for everyones input
I would strongly advise a PFD for any water sports.

Having been to more drowning incidents than I care to remember, the common theme in all of them, is that they weren’t wearing a PFD of some sort. As soon as you go sub surface, we can’t find you very easily if at all.

I know they are a faff and hot, but the alternatives are worse.

It isn’t just about falling in and hitting your head, you might have an equipment failure, or bad weather, or a medical episode.

I know I am dull, but I wear mine always.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back