Our costs of a 10 week trip to Greece via Adriatic ferry (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just in case this might be of use to any others planning a trip to Greece, these were our costs.

We started from Katowice and distance was 1,500km to Ancona, so adjust for travel from elsewhere.

We also have >3.5t so GO box across Austria and back cost us about €175. From UK there is a route across W. Austria that avoids M/Ways.

We drove just under 5,000km. The ferries took us another 2,400km.

Our route was Katowice-Ancona-Patras-Peloponnese-Piraeus-Patmos and return same route.

The ferries Ancona-Patras (camping on board) and return €900 and Piraeus-Patmos return incl cabin on return €700 (incl 30% discount as same company as Adriatic route).

We normally wildcamp/aires, but this time we did a couple of campsites but total cost was €30 incl all services.

Apart from the above our total expenditure, with many meals out, was €4,400

So with ferries included the 10-week trip cost us €6,035.

No judgements please on expenditure. This post is just for information.

[EDIT] P.S. On the island average price for rooms only in Sept was €50pn for 2 persons, so a 3-week stay would have cost €1150 plus all the extras for breakfast, coffees/beers compared with a MH, so the €700 for ferry was cheap in comparison.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Just in case anyone is considering Italy-Greece, I've just booked a Black Friday deal with Grimaldi Lines for September. Brindisi-Igoumenitsa, €350 for 2 people, outside cabin and 6.4m van. They don't do camping on board, hence the cabin. Offer ends on 27th (today!) Its a saving of over €100 for us.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
It's a bit strange but although we have booked with Grimaldi Lines it is actually a Minoan Lines ship (Kydon Palace) we will travel on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
nicholsong

Thanks for sharing the information.. looks like a fabulous trip..

I plotted your route on a Google map and it's an interesting choice using two longish ferry trips..

can I ask why, rather than an overland route ?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996

I plotted your route on a Google map and it's an interesting choice using two longish ferry trips..

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's a work in progress! the plans keep changing. Basically after we've been to the Caravan Salon in Dusseldorf, we'll make our way down to Italy, to Motefiascone at Lago de Bolsena where my wifes sister lives. After that we will make our way down to Brindisi for the ferry on 16th September. We were last in Greece for the Olympics and Covid thwarted our plans to go there, twice in more recent times. We both decided to retire for our jobs in the education sector this Christmas so this will be our first chance to go away outside the dreaded school holidays on a big trip. Problem is without that restriction we have been a bit overawed by having so much choice! We are thinking a couple of weeks in Greece then Albania, Montenegro after that. Then head back up. Or.... we might go into Albania for a bit then ferry back to Brindisi then down to Sicily. We made ourselves make a ferry booking this last weekend to stop us dithering. The only thing missing now is our camper. We have an Adria Twin 640 SLB due soon. We ordered it at the Birmingham show in October 2022. After a few delays we do now have a chassis number and have been told deliver is the beginning of January.
sorry.. confused..

why you are replying to the question I asked the OP :unsure:

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
nicholsong

Jim 'n Jan

I had not seriously considered overland to mainland Greece because I thought getting fully comp insurance for the Balkans was a no-no, but since back I have discovered my Polish insurance does provide that for all 'Europe', plus Morocco, Israel etc. So maybe next time.

On way back we also went to stay with a Polish friend in Italy who had sorted out our RHD registration in Poland.

Second ferry trip was to an island !!!! ;) :LOL: Both ferries are becoming a bit routine for us now, but ferries have been a routine for me in Greece for 40+ years.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Seems a reasonable cost for a 10 week holiday.

We've done 3 X two month trips in the last 3 years.

France/Spain £4500
Germany/Italy - right down to Sicily £4760
The Balkans inc. Bosnia/Serbia/Montenegro £4165

This was using the cheapest Dover - Calais ferry crossing and very few toll roads.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Seems a reasonable cost for a 10 week holiday.

We've done 3 X two month trips in the last 3 years.

France/Spain £4500
Germany/Italy - right down to Sicily £4760
The Balkans inc. Bosnia/Serbia/Montenegro £4165

This was using the cheapest Dover - Calais ferry crossing and very few toll roads.

Seems similar since we did 10+ weeks to your 2 months and I was costing it in Euros compared to your pounds.

We had to use GO box over Austria(expensive) and we did use Italian Autostrada, (but not so expensive.)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back