Jun 21, 2018
Habrough ,N E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
Hi
Got a problem with my awning it appears to be the gearing has gone , and wondered how difficult it is to remove end cap and fit a new gearbox , it is a 4.5m Omnistor on an 2010 Auto trail Comanche ,it is the one that is fitted into a recess so looks a bit difficult to get at , any advice would be appreciated or if anyone knows anyone that does repairs in my area N E Lincolnshire
Thanks
Baza

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Try here.
https://www.roseawnings.co.uk/
Tel. 01202 620427

I have a Comanche as well and had to have the whole awning replaced.
The service I got from them was excellent.

They are not the easiest things to work on, but I saw him replace a gearbox on one while I was at his place getting mine done.
Personally I would drive down and let him do it, as long as you have the time of course.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Much the same for them all get your replacement first and you will see what needs removing/replacing

OP
OP
charliesgrandad
Jun 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
Try here.
https://www.roseawnings.co.uk/
Tel. 01202 620427

I have a Comanche as well and had to have the whole awning replaced.
The service I got from them was excellent.

They are not the easiest things to work on, but I saw him replace a gearbox on one while I was at his place getting mine done.
Personally I would drive down and let him do it, as long as you have the time of course.

Many thanks , but I cant get the awning to latch in at all so a bit of a long way to drive with the risk of it coming out , I have spoken to the man at Roseawnings and he explained how to do it and said it is relatively easy as long as you have someone to help , got my son coming round at the weekend to have a look at it with me , he is quite mechanical .
I have spoken to all the nearest to me mobile motorhome engineers and none of them either want the job or cant do it for at least 6-8 weeks

OP
OP
charliesgrandad
Jun 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
Much the same for them all get your replacement first and you will see what needs removing/replacing

Thanks I have ordered the gearbox .should be here Thursday and as I told knokinonabit my son is coming over the weekend to have a go at it with me

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
charliesgrandad
Jun 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
Bit of a delay in replying, but it went well .
After reading various threads on the forums this if how we did it
Wound the awning out enough to undo the one screw that holds the end cap then by pushing the awning and my son winding the awning back in ,the gearbox would not wind it back in on its own.

As it is a recessed awning we found the 3 fixing points in the lockers , removed all the nuts of the one at the gearbox end and then slacking off the centre and other end till the nuts where just on.

Then to stop the awning rolling out when the gearbox was removed off the end of the roller shaft we eased the awning away from the recess a bit from the left hand side then threaded a couple of long tie wraps round and tightened to stop the awning unravelling

Then while I pulled the awning away from the van so it was far enough away for my son to prise off the end cap , he then undid the 3 screws and pulled off the gearbox assembly , fitted the new gearbox and replaced it back and screwed it back up and clipped the end cap back on (this step took about 6 or 7 minutes )
Then we removed the tie wraps and pushed the awning back in the recess, my son held it while I went inside and replaced the nuts on the left side and then tightened all three fixing points
Then tried the winder , and all was perfect came out easily and locked in perfectly just like when it was new
All in all the job took about 35 mins and we enjoyed a cuppa while we were doing it
Total cost of the job £72.00 for gearbox

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back