Old CBE panels preventive maintenance (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
On a previous thread John Russell detailed the problem he had when the battery on his CBE panel leaked killing the 12v power and damaging the PCB, this has prompted me to take a look at mine and I recommend everyone with an older panel has a look at theirs. Ifyou catch it before it does any damage then its fairly easy to do, possible to do it yourself but I decided to get a local techie guy to do it.

This is my panel

20230817_072657.jpg

( This is post)

On the back is a battery, the blue thing, and you can see its starting to leak ( It is 20 years old afterall)
20230809_093453.jpg

This has soldered in tabs, so the answer is to cut the battery out, solder a pair of wires and a plug onto the tabs and connect a battery pack.

20230816_184945.jpg

So you end up with a separate battery in a holder that should last a good long time but in any case is unlikely to leak onto your PCB. Cost of the whole job for me was £60 most of which I suspect was labour.

Well worth thinking about if you have an older MH with an electronic panel
JockandRita Flairy Northernraider nicholsong

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
On a previous thread John Russell detailed the problem he had when the battery on his CBE panel leaked killing the 12v power and damaging the PCB, this has prompted me to take a look at mine and I recommend everyone with an older panel has a look at theirs. Ifyou catch it before it does any damage then its fairly easy to do, possible to do it yourself but I decided to get a local techie guy to do it.

This is my panel

View attachment 795932

( This is post)

On the back is a battery, the blue thing, and you can see its starting to leak ( It is 20 years old afterall)
View attachment 795933

This has soldered in tabs, so the answer is to cut the battery out, solder a pair of wires and a plug onto the tabs and connect a battery pack.

View attachment 795934

So you end up with a separate battery in a holder that should last a good long time but in any case is unlikely to leak onto your PCB. Cost of the whole job for me was £60 most of which I suspect was labour.

Well worth thinking about if you have an older MH with an electronic panel
JockandRita Flairy Northernraider nicholsong
Mine is a very basic panel not sure if it has a battery in it. But uncle Lenny HB is revamping my electrics soon so he'll be able to advise if mine has a battery .
20230730_142213.jpg
20230730_142915.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
Any panel which keeps its settings when switched off will have a rechargeable battery, and as Lithium's didn't arrive until 2010s, older vehicles used NiCads which eventually leak as mine and Jon's did.

The leaking exudate travels down the soldered tabs onto the PCB where it will gradually eat through the copper traces below the battery.

When that happens, the panel will fail, and as these traces can be the size of a hair, repairs are not easy.

If there's a NiCad battery in your electronics, replace it with a sealed Lithium battery before it causes serious damage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
Any panel which keeps its settings when switched off will have a rechargeable battery, and as Lithium's didn't arrive until 2010s, older vehicles used NiCads which eventually leak as mine and Jon's did.

The leaking exudate travels down the soldered tabs onto the PCB where it will gradually eat through the copper traces below the battery.

When that happens, the panel will fail, and as these traces can be the size of a hair, repairs are not easy.

If there's a NiCad battery in your electronics, replace it with a sealed Lithium battery before it causes serious damage.
Agree about older panels.

The latest CBE PC380 panels appear to use a super capacitor. And this seems to fail.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

John Russell, I know this is an old thread John, (and jongood ), but can I ask where you found the equivalent sealed lithium replacement battery please? I have found replacement NiMH batteries.

I'm having problems with the panel, and that NiMH battery is now showing signs of leakage, but powder as opposed to liquid at this stage.

Cheers for now,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
John Russell, I know this is an old thread John, (and jongood ), but can I ask where you found the equivalent sealed lithium replacement battery please? I have found replacement NiMH batteries.

I'm having problems with the panel, and that NiMH battery is now showing signs of leakage, but powder as opposed to liquid at this stage.

Cheers for now,

Hi Jock, I've just seen and answered your post on FB assuming you hadn't found this thread. If its leaking then I would change the battery asap. I ddcided it was a bit too tricky for my soldering abilities so got a local "fixit" guy to do it for me. If you can't find one then pm me and I will see if you can post it directly to him, hes done a few jobs for me.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Jock, I've just seen and answered your post on FB assuming you hadn't found this thread. If its leaking then I would change the battery asap. I ddcided it was a bit too tricky for my soldering abilities so got a local "fixit" guy to do it for me. If you can't find one then pm me and I will see if you can post it directly to him, hes done a few jobs for me.
Thanks Jon, much appreciated. (y)

Cheers,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back