Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Do you change your oil as per the service interval of do you carry out interim ones ?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I do one every year or 10k, regardless of any schedule and I’ve never had a problem with engines wether high miles or not…

Throughout my knowledge of people with very high miles they have always done the same…

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
10k will cover us - cheers all

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Most motorhomes won't go far enough to get engine wear. It's more likely to breakdown from a failed airbag ECU, dpf, gearbox, clutch, any number of sensors, engine warning lights etc etc. Oil is the least of our worries. 2 years with a decent oil will be fine.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I watch lots of 'merican auto mechanic channels on YouTube. It seems their cars turn their oil to sludge if they don't change it weekly. I know they drive further, but they seem to do changes every 5000 miles. What's with that?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Engine oil, wether you like it or not still degrades if left sitting in an unused vehicles, maybe even more than if used..
IMO engine oil in a relatively low mileage moho should be changed more than Mr White Van Mans highmileage Ducato..
As stated I have always changed my oil annually along with service and MOT..
And will continue to do so..
45+ yrs driving high and low mileage vehicles and never had any engine failures.
How much for annual oil/filter change compared to engine replacement...

Toskana75

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 75fl
Exp
Since 2007
I watch lots of 'merican auto mechanic channels on YouTube. It seems their cars turn their oil to sludge if they don't change it weekly. I know they drive further, but they seem to do changes every 5000 miles. What's with that?
Different climate and temperature most warm countries oil changes are done twice as much as ours

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes,I've always wondered what that was all about?
Different climate and temperature most warm countries oil changes are done twice as much as ours
But they do it in states with climates colder than the uk?

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Don’t think the fuels over there carry the detergent levels used in European fuels. That could have something to do with it I guess?

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I don't think anybody's ever not bought a vehicle because it's had an excessive amount of oil changes. I bulk buy my oil and it gets a yearly swap out along with oil,and diesel filters.The air filter gets a by-annual change with the airline blasted through it from the inside on it's second year. The bl@@dy awkward cab filter gets every other year as well. I'm comfortable with this regime, which is what it's all about.
Mike.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Engine oil, wether you like it or not still degrades if left sitting in an unused vehicles, maybe even more than if used..
Yes a lot more degradation/ consumption of the aditives mostly due due oxidation and reactions with absorbed water (condensation, not a closed system) can lead to a very corrossive medium over the winter months.

IMO engine oil in a relatively low mileage moho should be changed more than Mr White Van Mans highmileage Ducato..
If the engine is run upto temperature (+20m) all the water is driven off and oil is kept at its optimum for longest and thus lubricate and move all bits that need moving. Else the other option is not to run and drain the corrosive medium before spreading it around. Ie change the oil before running it for the first time. The only real debate is what period should this be, fortnightly or is monthly acceptable.

As stated I have always changed my oil annually along with service and MOT..
I change anualy and a monthly maitenance run.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The divided opinion on this subject encouraged me to do a bit more digging on the internet. I have reached the conclusion that both sides of the argument are correct. If your engine has been run from new on fully synthetic oil then the manufacturers recommended service schedule will be fine. If your engine has been run at anytime on conventional or semi-synthetic oil then more frequent oil changes might prolong engine life. The first question should probably be what type of oil are you talking about.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back