Oil change urgency on Hobby T500 (Transit chassis) - Advice sought (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
I bought this 2007 Hobby T500 with 96k km on the clock (60 k miles) late April. I have since done 2.6k km - so about 1,800 miles half of it. in the last few days

Literally as I was boarding the outbound Newhaven ferry on Tuesday a message flashed up "I(nfo)" and then something like "Oil service needed" (No prior warning.)

The van had a new clutch fitted by my dealer before it was advertised for sale early this year. So circa 3,000 miles since the clutch was fitted which presumably required an oil change (?). So my thoughts were to book the van in for an oil change on my return after a fortnight with circa 2,000 miles likely to be clocked up on this jaunt. However in the 750 miles crossing Europe since Tuesday the van has started smoking badly in particular on steep gradients under load (But next to nothing to see when cruising on the motorway). That was very evident on a detour forced on me in the Black Forest where the B500 was closed forcing a 30k detour culminating in a 8 km 1 in 5 ascent to get back on the B500!!

I assumed when the message first flashed up that it was mileage based but now I wonder if a sensor is telling me the air filter is badly clogged. The van is now saying something like "oil service due". So a bit more peremptory than the first message.

I am currently in Switzerland and plan to cross the Alps to Lake Como on Monday before retracing my steps back to the UK with another another weekend with family in Switzerland after Lake Como and then straight back to Dieppe and a further 275 miles to get home.

So my question: Am I safe to drive on and put up with the embarrassment of a smoking motor or do I pay Swiss prices for an oil change on Monday?!!!

The van is generally in good nick and there is absolutely no loss of power associated with the smokey exhaust I just feel embarrassed by the sight of it.

Thanks in advance for replies!

OP
OP
PlacidoD
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
It will have had a service before I bought it. And it came with a full service history. But that is in my study at home rather than in the van!

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2019
North East, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Could it be an EGR pipe leaking - I had this on a Ford Mondeo where the pipe had cracked, and when you accelerated up a hill, it would produce lots of black smoke.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It will have had a service before I bought it.
If you know that it had a full service then they did not reset the light . That is easily doneçTurn on ignition to position 2 but do not start.Hold accelerator & brake pedal down together for around ten seconds or until the display deletes the " oil service needed now" banner. When it does ,turn off & back on again ,start & the oil light will have been reset.
And it came with a full service history.
(y)

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Smoke and any other problems will probably not be due to not having an oil change, as gus-lopez said oil reset probably not done on the last oil change, it happens a lot even at good garages…

By the sounds of it you are putting some miles on it and it could have been sitting around or not many miles done in the few years before you bought it and your blowing out the accumulation of soot and carbon buildup, I’d give it an Italian tune up with some fuel cleaner in the tank such as Millers diesel additive…👍🏼

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlacidoD
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
Maybe it is coincidence but the problem has occurred since the warning light came on at Newhaven! There was absolutely no sign of smoking in the 1500 miles or whatever of use before the current problem (Mainly motorway and flat D roads near Dieppe). The steep climbs on the B500 in the Black Forest really set it going (especially the forced diversion).

I strongly suspect the air filter has not been changed but my under-bonnet skills are very limited.

No way can I get hold of anybody in Switzerland on a Saturday. So it will be a weekday next week before I can get anybody to look at it.

I plan to travel to a Sosta at Colico on Monday where I will stay 3 nights. So I am thinking to add the additive and look to get an indy garage in or near Colico to do an oil service while there (ideally at 09:00 on the Friday just before I head back to Switzerland). Anybody got any recommendations for a garage at or near Colico or enroute there (e.g Chiavenna). Equally anybody know of who to avoid!!!

I am aware of one garage on the main road into Colico from the North. I can enquire online of them today to set the ball rolling to check whether they can cope with a SWB 6 metre Transit motorhome.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Usually, just a few screws to remove the air box cover.You may have some stowaways who had taken up residence in the air box, that seems to be a favourite for mice. Can you post up a photo of the engine bay showing the air filter drum?
Mike.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlacidoD
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
Usually, just a few screws to remove the air box cover.You may have some stowaways who had taken up residence in the air box, that seems to be a favourite for mice. Can you post up a photo of the engine bay showing the air filter drum?
Mike.
Will do once I am done with a family breakfast!

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
The airfilter is on the right hand side low as you look into the engine bay. The air filter is a tall drum shape. The lid is held on by 4 Phillips screws which may be corroded and difficult to remove, however they are only into plastic so can’t be rusted in!
On my first airfilter change I found the body of a mouse in it!

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I think many things are possibly getting confused here.

Start with the basics.
What colour smoke and when?

I’m assuming black smoke and when on steep inclines, which will be more air intake and boost based.

Or is it blue smoke which would point more towards engine.

I think the service light isn’t really relevant

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlacidoD
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
I think many things are possibly getting confused here.

Start with the basics.
What colour smoke and when?

I’m assuming black smoke and when on steep inclines, which will be more air intake and boost based.

Or is it blue smoke which would point more towards engine.

I think the service light isn’t really relevant
Most definitely black smoke and on inclines especially steep inclines under load at lower end revs. Zero smoke on the level when cruising eg at 2,500 revs which is my normal motorway cruising speed (circa 67 mph). It was virtually not noticeable when I first landed at Dieppe but very gradually became more visible over the next couple of days and then almost suddenly became visible big time on the steep inclines of the B500.

When I picked up the van on 3rd May I gave it half a tank of BP Ultimate on a near empty tank as a present! It has been stored on my drive apart from a few UK trips plus one week local to Dieppe. Each trip to Newhaven-Dieppe involves a 275 mile each way trip to/from the ferry so that should have "cleared he tubes"!

P.S. Thanks all for your continued support! Much appreciated!!

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It seems odd that it has had a " full service" but you suspect that the air filter needs changing! I'd look at the air filter and if it clearly hasn't been changed get a service done by someone you trust when you get back. Meanwhile I'd check the oil level and just keep it topped up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlacidoD
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
A potentially interesting discovery when I popped the bonnet. (At home the front end is on ramps to store it more or less level so difficult to peer in): The air intake pipe to the left near the oil filler cap which I think is feeding the turbo was disconnected. That means that the turbo was drawing in air from a very hot engine compartment rather than from in front of the radiator and it was VERY hot yesterday on the B500 (Circa 33C!). I have now re-attached it. It is just a push fit. I might add some gaffer tape later.

Might that explain my symptoms?

Photos now attached. The van is VERY clean under the bonnet and does not look at all neglected. Photo 4 is the air filter into the turbo which I have taken out - clean as a whistle!

Oil level looks OK. If I am not doing an oil change before a return to the UK I will top it up with likely less than 1 litre while out here.

It is not obvious from the V5 photo but the original purchase invoice shows that the chassis date is Autumn 2006. So I am not 100% clear whether this is a Mk 6 or Mk 7 Transit. Maybe my photo details will tell someone?
20240831_112056.jpg
20240831_112056.jpg

20240831_112024.jpg

20240831_114608.jpg

20240831_112357.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I strongly suspect the air filter has not been changed but my under-bonnet skills are very limited.
That is easy then.assuming front wheel drive.
Open bonnet. Air filter is the black box directly in front of you.On the right there is the hard plastic pipe to the turbo.It has two 'overcentre 'clips, undo them & push to the right. Then on the main body there are 3 more over centre clips two at front & one on the left. Undo those.The top of air filter can then be lifted upwards at the front as the back has hook in lugs.

The airfilter is on the right hand side low as you look into the engine bay.
No that is a ducato this is a transit base

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
That is the underneath of the filter & should be spotless .It is the other side that also needs to look clean
The air intake pipe to the left near the oil filler cap which I think is feeding the turbo was disconnected.
No that is the main air intake pipe to the filter. The air then goes through the filter exits on the right down the hard plastic pipe to front of turbo & then comes out at the base of turbo via the large pipe on the right over the gearbox & down to the intercooler ,which is underneath the radiator. It then emerges underneath at the opposite end on the left & comes up entering the inlet manifold.there is a switch on this that senses if the air is restricted usually due to a blocked filter
That means that the turbo was drawing in air from a very hot engine compartment rather than from in front of the radiator
possibly could be the problem but mine is modified in that I have removed the complete air filter inlet on left & air filter box & have a pipe attached from the clipped part on the right hard plastic pipe across engine to roughly where that loose rubber pipe of yours is & the K&N air filter takes in air there.

That is the diesel filter on the left in photos the white can at the back left. It has a detector on it,that yellow thing. that shows if it is starting to get blocked.All you should see on the sight glass is the spring & the red bit should be at the back

Did someone mention the turbo waste gate? If stuck open/partially open then that would be a source of heavy black fumes when accelerating or pulling hard. If you have a small shifting spanner it is possible to attach it on the left hand side & pull to the right. or/& spray with some release oil or something similar.It can be done "as is" but for you it would be far easier if you removed that large plastic piece that is holding the white 'pollen filter' It is just the two 8mm headed nuts on the left & right & then wobble it off

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlacidoD
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
Guy,

You will gather from my photos above what I have done so far.

Looking again under the bonnet the air filter at the top feeds the turbo. As I said above that is as clean as a whistle (both sides). The disconnected pipe goes through the centre of the big box and I suspect is the direct air feed to the engine block? Edit: I stand corrected. You tell me it goes to the intercooler. That makes sense.

Will investigate the yellow bit on the left.

Where will I find the wastegate?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
That is easy then.assuming front wheel drive.
Open bonnet. Air filter is the black box directly in front of you.On the right there is the hard plastic pipe to the turbo.It has two 'overcentre 'clips, undo them & push to the right. Then on the main body there are 3 more over centre clips two at front & one on the left. Undo those.The top of air filter can then be lifted upwards at the front as the back has hook in lugs.

No that is a ducato this is a transit base
Yes sorry my van is a Citroen with a Ford 2.2 puma engine!

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2018
Gt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
10 yrs
I bought this 2007 Hobby T500 with 96k km on the clock (60 k miles) late April. I have since done 2.6k km - so about 1,800 miles half of it. in the last few days

Literally as I was boarding the outbound Newhaven ferry on Tuesday a message flashed up "I(nfo)" and then something like "Oil service needed" (No prior warning.)

The van had a new clutch fitted by my dealer before it was advertised for sale early this year. So circa 3,000 miles since the clutch was fitted which presumably required an oil change (?). So my thoughts were to book the van in for an oil change on my return after a fortnight with circa 2,000 miles likely to be clocked up on this jaunt. However in the 750 miles crossing Europe since Tuesday the van has started smoking badly in particular on steep gradients under load (But next to nothing to see when cruising on the motorway). That was very evident on a detour forced on me in the Black Forest where the B500 was closed forcing a 30k detour culminating in a 8 km 1 in 5 ascent to get back on the B500!!

I assumed when the message first flashed up that it was mileage based but now I wonder if a sensor is telling me the air filter is badly clogged. The van is now saying something like "oil service due". So a bit more peremptory than the first message.

I am currently in Switzerland and plan to cross the Alps to Lake Como on Monday before retracing my steps back to the UK with another another weekend with family in Switzerland after Lake Como and then straight back to Dieppe and a further 275 miles to get home.

So my question: Am I safe to drive on and put up with the embarrassment of a smoking motor or do I pay Swiss prices for an oil change on Monday?!!!

The van is generally in good nick and there is absolutely no loss of power associated with the smokey exhaust I just feel embarrassed by the sight of it.

Thanks in advance for replies!

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We had a similar problem last year. Black smoke and the oil service warning.
Ours is a transit.
Cause was a split in the turbo pipe, once replaced no problem. The pipes not too accessible and the replacement is not cheap for the genuine article though cheap 'equivalents' are on ebay.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2013
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
im a newbie
Smoke and any other problems will probably not be due to not having an oil change, as gus-lopez said oil reset probably not done on the last oil change, it happens a lot even at good garages…

By the sounds of it you are putting some miles on it and it could have been sitting around or not many miles done in the few years before you bought it and your blowing out the accumulation of soot and carbon buildup, I’d give it an Italian tune up with some fuel cleaner in the tank such as Millers diesel additive…👍🏼

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlacidoD
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
We had a similar problem last year. Black smoke and the oil service warning.
Ours is a transit.
Cause was a split in the turbo pipe, once replaced no problem. The pipes not too accessible and the replacement is not cheap for the genuine article though cheap 'equivalents' are on ebay.
I negotiated a 6 month warranty so if that is my problem I should be covered.

Can you help with where I will find that pipe? And are there any tell-tale symptoms that might identify that as the problem (e.g listening for a sucking noise or looking for signs of a split)? Maybe I can put some gaffer take or the like on as a temporary fix?

Diesel fuel filter and sensor (the yellow thing on the left) look fine. Fuel looks clear and the red bit is clearly visible!.

I am still searching for the wastegate!

So the general consensus is that I am causing no engine damage by driving on and sorting this at my regular garage at home? I can put up with the embarrassment of black smoke if I have to and try and avoid steep hills (though that is slightly problematic in the Alps!!!)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back