Not just the Canary Islands who are sick of tourists (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am off to Tenerife next week so I will report back when I return.

I hope they haven’t put beer prices up as part of their protest
Be careful Chris ... they might use you as an 'example' and burn you at the stake! 😄

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We live on the coast. Most locals dislike tourists. Wish we could charge them to come into town.
Then we go away and don't think we are tourists 🤔
It's certainly what a lot here seem to think. We have a holiday let and a residential let so have a biased opinion but it seems to me that most could see the benefit to the local economy and housing stock of both but not necessarily a private second home only used a few weeks a year the same as a they don't like houses in London being left empty after being bought by overseas investors.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Ahh so the penny is starting to drop, just look at some of the small hamlets in Cornwall nearly all the properties are Holiday Lets, turning them into ghost towns during the winter.
I agree with Northenraider that those in power want to stop people from travelling, just look at all the equation, electric vehicles despite whether you agree with them or not do not have the same distance available without constant recharging as an ICE vehicle, finding a charging point on your travels according to owners is hit and miss.
Diesel and petrol prices constantly on the increase, Ulez and clean air restrictions, add the tourist tax and Voila you have a Don't Travel pattern forming.

Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Twelve months and still learning.
Let the tourist hotspots charge what they like.

It can only increase the number of tourists visiting Grimsby, Rhyl, etc.

Win, win.👍
Oi, don't you mock Grimsby. I'll have you know there are many things to see and do in that town. For instance;

Err ...
Erm ...
Hang on a minute ...

Ah yes, I see what you mean😕

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Venice is a unique place, it makes sense to manage visitor numbers. Go out of season and you’ll have most of the place to yourself. It’s physically easier to set up as limited ways to enter. I doubt it would be easy to implement in bigger cities due to the multiple routes in and out.

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
I remember going on holiday in the 1990s to either Greece or Turkey (?) and being charged about £5 or £10 before the plane landed. The cabin crew came along collecting the money.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back