Northern Spain in Mid September ? (9 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 30, 2023
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
New to MotorHoming
I'm wondering about spending 2-3 weeks in Northern Spain from Mid September (ferry to Santander) and I wondered what weather I might reasonably expect at that time of year.
Also, what is the Northern region (Cantabria, Galicia etc) like as a MotorHome touring destination.
First time driving in/to Spain for several decades hence the numpty questions :rolleyes:
Thanks in advance

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We are crossing early November, a wander through Spain and on to Portugal 90 day trip,we are using CaraMaps app it seems to give a good description of places to stay.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I'm wondering about spending 2-3 weeks in Northern Spain from Mid September (ferry to Santander) and I wondered what weather I might reasonably expect at that time of year.
Also, what is the Northern region (Cantabria, Galicia etc) like as a MotorHome touring destination.
First time driving in/to Spain for several decades hence the numpty questions :rolleyes:
Thanks in advance
Northern Spain is green.
It an Atlantic/maritime climate, so the weather is closer to that of Cornwall than the Costas.

We were there in May this year.
We had rain, mizzel, fog, hail and snow on the higher routes!

We met a group of bikers who were there to drive the routes of the Picos de Europa,
after 3 days they gave up and headed south.

We also did not see the sun until after we left the region, and when we arrived back for the ferry 3 weeks later, it was long trousers back on and digging out the raincoats again!

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're in Galicia at the moment, after coming across from Asturias and Cantabria. I have a thread. Summer in Spain (again). You can find it in my signature.

September can still be quite warm, or then it may be wet. Who knows. It's a lovely 22° with a breeze today right on the coast. But a couple of days ago we got soaked to the skin riding our bikes 🤣.

Have a read of my thread, and my previous ones on northern Spain, and ask questions if you want.

If you get the good weather, it's a fantastic part of Spain to visit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Judith jumartoo and Martin jumar are the ones to ask.
September should be OK....the coastline is somewhat cooler than being 25km inland...the main holiday season is over....places to park are plentiful, it's a very relaxed place to visit...quite stunning...no high-rise hotels geared up to tourism...the food types are varied and very different to the Costas..
For ourselves who live 20 minutes from the Med we still do our summer on the northern coast...it just makes sense to do so...

Lee16

Funster
Sep 14, 2016
Reading
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo
Exp
Since 2015
Weather is mixed right now.
We stayed at San Vicente de la Barquera, would recommend.
Campsite was El Rosal, right by beach and nice walk into town over the bridge.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
We arrived last Sunday and spent two nights in Potes in the Picos de Europa before giving up and heading south to Leon where it is dry and sunny 25 degrees.
Great new free aire, quiet, 30plus pitches well laid out, level tarmac, driveover waste, grey and black dumps, 18 min walk to catherdral, 5 mins to lidl. Great for visiting the city. (Autocaravanas Palomera)
We were going to go along the northern coast, round and down to Porto, but given the rain and thunder cloud on the north, we are reversing our route. Isn't that the benefit of the motorhome/campervan or autocaravavas as the seem to say here..
Great roads, hardly any traffic to speak of, (apart from the road up the gorge to Potes which is being rebuilt.) Scintillating drive south down to Riano, parkups over the bridge.
Ps 9. 20 pm and two more vans have arrived here.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Having just had 3 months in the North it's time to return to the SE...but we are taking a week to get back....stopped off to ride in the PN Sanabria which is wild in places...we stayed overnight on an official MH location and woke to 9°c, a tad chilly so thought I'd fire the heater up ready for the Autumn and winter ahead...
We know that when we get back to base in Murcia it will be 32°c. But our house is Aircon throughout....get some domestic duties done and off again..

Nov 18, 2022
Holmfirth, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 135
Today, Sept 20th, is my first rainy day. Luckily it’s my planning and fettling day! I’ve been hill/mountain-walking for just over a month from Bilbao along the Spanish Pyrenees. (One-day walks, MH based) I’ve never put on my waterproof. The Spanish seem to scramble up 6,000ft peaks in shorts and crop-tops carrying just a bottle of water.
There have been a few overnight showers and the occasional thunderstorm but never a problem.I’ve probably been lucky. Being an ex-redhead I like clouds. And wall to wall blue sky is rather boring, isn’t it?
I am amazed at the lack of wind (the weather, not me!) Only one windy day (Which just happened to be on the col above Nuria - eek!) The same was true on my Spring trip in the North-West.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back