Northern Spain and Portugal (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Hi, we are off on a six week tour of France, northam Spain and Northern Portugal, in just over a week's time .
We have never been to Northern Spain or Portugal any recommendations where to visit we like mountains and the coast,not into cities
France will be a slow drive through taking about a week
We will be using ares most of the time and will be off Grid
Thanks Kev

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Thanks, I will take a look at Jumar' postšŸ‘ kev

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kamperkev
Dec 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Thanks Gary, if you and Tam need a break from the traffic on Monday we are about nine miles from junction 25 M5
At ilminster drop in for a coffee.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
If you like mountains you should visit the Pico's in Spain, the Northern Coast of Spain is a must, lots of beautiful beaches, Cathedral Beach should be on the your list. You should look at Jumar's post as he is currently travelling the Northern Coast of Spain.
100% agree with this. The Asturian and Galician coast is lovely. Cathedral beach still rates as one of our favourite park ups ever. Great hiking in the Picos. Expect some rain going into September.

Upvote 0

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Brother in law and family just returned from Galicia (non MH hol) and found much antipathy towards tourists. Many restaurants flatly refused to admit them, saying they were full, despite obvious empty tables. They are just an ordinary quiet family with two kids.

They did enjoy the local almond cake though!

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Take waterproofs!

The above is not entirely tongue in cheek. We love northern Spain but it gets Atlantic weather.

This is Cabo FinistĆØre, the most westerly point of mainland Spain. Our van is in there somewhere. :)

TGTS-7_html_78133a02.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Hi,

We are doing a very similar trip. It you are in to festivals and enjoy wine a good stop on the way down might be Cheverny which has a great little wine festival on 7th September. Free park up for the night as well. Itā€™s also Rioja Harvest Festival in Logrono between 18th and 21st September just south of Pamplona. Enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If you like mountains you should visit the Pico's in Spain, the Northern Coast of Spain is a must, lots of beautiful beaches, Cathedral Beach should be on the your list. You should look at Jumar's post as he is currently travelling the Northern Coast of Spain.

Hmmm jumartoo's thread, please šŸ¤£. Thanks Just smiffy

Upvote 0

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Brother in law and family just returned from Galicia (non MH hol) and found much antipathy towards tourists. Many restaurants flatly refused to admit them, saying they were full, despite obvious empty tables. They are just an ordinary quiet family with two kids.

I find this very hard to believe. We're in Galicia right now and haven't met any negativity at all. In fact we were offered free coffee at a bar when we stopped nearby to look at a river.

Do your family speak Spanish to ask why they were refused? They appear to be holidaying at peak times here and the tables were most likely to be reserved. It's been busy here with Spanish August holidays and eating out is big on the Spanish daily itinerary.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
If planning a meandering type trip, Portugal might be a bit far in the time available. You'd be surprised how the time runs away with you. I would second the recommendation of Laredo though. Camping Playa del Regaton is nice. I did a month trip last year and that was as far as we got despite having ambitions further west.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kamperkev
Dec 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
If planning a meandering type trip, Portugal might be a bit far in the time available. You'd be surprised how the time runs away with you. I would second the recommendation of Laredo though. Camping Playa del Regaton is nice. I did a month trip last year and that was as far as we got despite having ambitions further west.
Hi, we have never been to Portugal so we are only going to the north, not sure how far we will get, we are not ones to be too organised
Thanks Kev

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Valladolid, Salamanca, Ciudad de Rodrigo, ValdoviƱo, Cudillero, Santiago de Compostela, Combarro, Laredo. San Vicente de Barquera.
Costa Nova, Aveiro, Caminha.
Spot on. Add to this list Braga, Barcelos, Coimbra, Porto, and the Douro valley villages, wonderful.
Phil

Upvote 0
Aug 3, 2024
Greater Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
An hour west of Bilbao is a small town called Noja which has a great campsite with spacious pitches and only yards from the beach.
The mountains are behind you with the sea in front of you. Last time we went (a few years ago) was at the start of September, which coincides with the migration of many birds of prey from northern Europe back to Africa. One day I looked up and there must have been 30+ eagles above me.
Have a great trip.

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No

What a shame, I have found Spanish people to be unfailingly friendly and kind.

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
I would also recommend San Sebastian, as you cross from France into Spain. Fantastic, laid back city, with historic old squares and a huge beach front and promenade - but didn't mention it earlier, as the OP indicated they didn't want to do cities.

Upvote 0
Dec 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout

Found just the opposite when I was there last October. Just before I left a small fishing port one morning I went into a local bar for an espresso,as I sat down with it the bartender summoned me back,pulled out a carrrier bag from under the bar and cut me a generous wedge of cake. Despite only knowing a few phrases of Spanish I find most people are friendly all along that northern coast. I shall be back there in a few weeks time.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We are off to Portugal soon and most of these are on our list of possibles, but need to have a closer look at Braga and Barcelos. Useful tips.
Both have good free aires (2 years ago). Coimbra has one right on the opposite river bank with a foot bridge to the small university city. In fact most of Portugal aires are free and search for sites app will show them.
Phil

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
An hour west of Bilbao is a small town called Noja which has a great campsite with spacious pitches and only yards from the beach.
The mountains are behind you with the sea in front of you. Last time we went (a few years ago) was at the start of September, which coincides with the migration of many birds of prey from northern Europe back to Africa. One day I looked up and there must have been 30+ eagles above me.
Have a great trip.
Excellent information. Thanks. We are heading off in that are later this year and will follow you recommendation.

Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Expect some rain going into September.
September??!! We went with a trailer tent in July/August about 25 years ago. As we drove into the town near where we were camping (Llanes, I think) we wondered why all the beach shops had ponchos on display. We soon found out why! It was often fine in the morning and rained later. But it was great - and weā€™re currently on our way there!

As for hostile responses in Galicia, there was an article in the Grauniad last weekend about this. It said rising temperatures in the South are meaning an influx of tourists from Madrid to Galicia and there is something of a culture clash, with the visitors mocking the Gallego language, demanding free tapas with a drink like they are used to in Andalucia, etc.

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
September??!! We went with a trailer tent in July/August about 25 years ago. As we drove into the town near where we were camping (Llanes, I think) we wondered why all the beach shops had ponchos on display. We soon found out why! It was often fine in the morning and rained later. But it was great - and weā€™re currently on our way there!

As for hostile responses in Galicia, there was an article in the Grauniad last weekend about this. It said rising temperatures in the South are meaning an influx of tourists from Madrid to Galicia and there is something of a culture clash, with the visitors mocking the Gallego language, demanding free tapas with a drink like they are used to in Andalucia, etc.
Yes - I was perhaps just understanding the issue. The north west of Spain is by far the rainiest part, and green and lush year round. Best take a brolly!

Upvote 1
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Hi, we have never been to Portugal so we are only going to the north, not sure how far we will get, we are not ones to be too organised
Thanks Kev

And thatā€™s the best way to enjoy a trip, go with the flow, thereā€™s plenty of Aires to stay at mostly free and loads on P4N and SFSā€¦

Go where it takes your fancy, a much more enjoyable time then having to plan and organise as something invariably goes wrong and throws the holiday outā€¦ tend to see much more with this attitudeā€¦.šŸ˜Ž

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kamperkev
Dec 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Thanks for all the replies it's been very helpful we will be sailing from Newhaven then following the coast to Caen visiting some of the Normandy beaches before turning south, probably take a week going through France before we get to Spain
Thanks Kev

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New
Look at camp site at Saintes,a good stop over 60 mile north of Bordeaux.The town is very surprising with Roman architecture.In Spain try to get to Segovia,a very surprising city again with an amazing Roman aquaduct and great cathedral and castle.Good connection to Madrid by train

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back