Northern Italy June 2024 (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
Caravanning for 20 years MH from 2022
Hi All - after our successful 18 days in Holland & Belgium earlier this year we are looking at crossing Hull to Rotterdam in June 2024 with 18 days to travel to lake Iseo and then Garda with say 4 days at each area giving us 9 days to make our way there and back. Any ideas on route and potential stops would be gratefully received. This will only be our second overseas trip in the motorhome following our switch from caravanning in Nov 2022.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I have posted on THIS thread about my route from Garda to Zeebrugge if you wanted to have a look. Lots of info on the forum about what you are seeking, have a scout around. Enjoy

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi All - after our successful 18 days in Holland & Belgium earlier this year we are looking at crossing Hull to Rotterdam in June 2024 with 18 days to travel to lake Iseo and then Garda with say 4 days at each area giving us 9 days to make our way there and back. Any ideas on route and potential stops would be gratefully received. This will only be our second overseas trip in the motorhome following our switch from caravanning in Nov 2022.

Seems a long way in a short time to me.

We are in N. Italy now, heading back to S. Poland and reckon to take another 5 days one-way.

Oldham to Italy and back in 9 days sounds a real stretch.

Can't you wait for retirement?

OP
OP
Riggers1
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
I have posted on THIS thread about my route from Garda to Zeebrugge if you wanted to have a look. Lots of info on the forum about what you are seeking, have a scout around. Enjoy
Thank you - will have a look at that

OP
OP
Riggers1
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp

We are in N. Italy now, heading back to S. Poland and reckon to take another 5 days one-way.

Another 3 - 4 years to retirement so need to crack on!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
We did a run down to Venice a few months back and took 10 days to get down there. Could have done it quicker but, it would have been a hard slog in a MH.
In the past have ridden to Northern Italy in 2 ½ days, but that meant a lot of high speed riding and full days in the saddle. Not very relaxing as a holiday & not something Id really want to do in the MH unless really pushed.

Route to Northern Italy was: Harwich Hook of Holand- Bad Camberg- Rothenburg ob de Tauber- Dinkelsbuhl- Nordlingen- Augsburg- Bad Tolz- Hall in Tyrol- Dolomites- Venice.

Came back via Fussen, Ulm & the Mosel.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
We've done it in around a similar time frame due to work holidays.
We travelled via Bastogne on way out for interest and stayed in Luxembourg, (site) then onto Metz,(site but aire outside but couldn't get in due to parked cars) then Colmar (aire) - all for one night then 2nts in Lucern (site) then onto Garda (site).
On the return leg, Garda to Innsbruck (site) to Fussen (aire) to Romantic Road (aire/stellplatz) route ending up at Maastricht (aire) before ferry home.
There's plenty of sites around Lake Garda but we stayed at Peschiera del Garda on a site called Cappuccini which was ideal for us, on the lake shore with beach, swimming pool, Lidl courtesy bus and a stroll into town.
There's an aire in town if you don't want a site.
We did not stop at Iseo but I'm sure others on here will advise you.
Good luck with your planning and do consider Harwich to Hook as a comparison to Hull which can sometimes be expensive.

OP
OP
Riggers1
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
We did a run down to Venice a few months back and took 10 days to get down there. Could have done it quicker but, it would have been a hard slog in a MH.
In the past have ridden to Northern Italy in 2 ½ days, but that meant a lot of high speed riding and full days in the saddle. Not very relaxing as a holiday & not something Id really want to do in the MH unless really pushed.

Route to Northern Italy was: Harwich Hook of Holand- Bad Camberg- Rothenburg ob de Tauber- Dinkelsbuhl- Nordlingen- Augsburg- Bad Tolz- Hall in Tyrol- Dolomites- Venice.

Came back via Fussen, Ulm & the Mosel.
Cheers thank you

OP
OP
Riggers1
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
We've done it in around a similar time frame due to work holidays.
We travelled via Bastogne on way out for interest and stayed in Luxembourg, (site) then onto Metz,(site but aire outside but couldn't get in due to parked cars) then Colmar (aire) - all for one night then 2nts in Lucern (site) then onto Garda (site).
On the return leg, Garda to Innsbruck (site) to Fussen (aire) to Romantic Road (aire/stellplatz) route ending up at Maastricht (aire) before ferry home.
There's plenty of sites around Lake Garda but we stayed at Peschiera del Garda on a site called Cappuccini which was ideal for us, on the lake shore with beach, swimming pool, Lidl courtesy bus and a stroll into town.
There's an aire in town if you don't want a site.
We did not stop at Iseo but I'm sure others on here will advise you.
Good luck with your planning and do consider Harwich to Hook as a comparison to Hull which can sometimes be expensive.
Thanks Gavlad

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Forgot to say, you'll need a vignette for travelling through Switzerland - I got mine on my phone on an app but nobody asked to look at it.
If you travel through Austria, you'll need something similar - we had to get a go-box as our van is 5200kgs but not too sure what requirement is for 3500kgs/less - someone on here will be along and can advise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Riggers1
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
Forgot to say, you'll need a vignette for travelling through Switzerland - I got mine on my phone on an app but nobody asked to look at it.
If you travel through Austria, you'll need something similar - we had to get a go-box as our van is 5200kgs but not too sure what requirement is for 3500kgs/less - someone on here will be along and can advise.
Cheers

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011

It can be done without to much of rush. We regularly travel from the IOM to the Marche region on the Adriatic coast in 4 days comfortably and doesn't involve any night driving but usually the faster roads from the Hook of Holland, Germany and Austria. It is all about what you are comfortable doing I hope you enjoy you trip to the beautiful Italian Lakes.

OP
OP
Riggers1
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
It can be done without to much of rush. We regularly travel from the IOM to the Marche region on the Adriatic coast in 4 days comfortably and doesn't involve any night driving but usually the faster roads from the Hook of Holland, Germany and Austria. It is all about what you are comfortable doing I hope you enjoy you trip to the beautiful Italian Lakes.
Thank you

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back