djburns

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Font Vendome
Exp
5 years
Hello, my van has NE 274 control unit, 80Ah gel battery and 100w solar panel. I'm looking to change battery for 100Ah Lithium and use a combined B2B/ solar Energy unit. Can I run this along side the control unit or bypass what appears to be a VSR in the control unit? The solar currently seems to run direct to the leisure battery, but I can't find a solar controller anywhere. Any thoughts? Cheers

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
If it's any help, in our Florium, it's well hidden in the cupboard where the microwave is, above the fridge/freezer/oven unit.

OP
OP
djburns

djburns

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Font Vendome
Exp
5 years
I may have to unscrew a few panels...I've also made contact with Delta conversions who handle Nordettronic in the UK.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
Mine is behind the drivers seat low down on the side of the single seat ( Fiat Pergaso 740 )

Attachments

• IMG_4991.JPG
    IMG_4991.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
djburns

djburns

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Font Vendome
Exp
5 years
Ok, so I've found the solar controller in a boxed off space behind the cool panel. It's a simple 10amp PWM unit. I've also found the solar controller output fuse and which wire runs to the leisure battery. So my plan now is-

Solar. Combine the wires into and out of the existing solar controller and remove it. Run the positive into the solar terminal on my new Renergy 30Amp combined B2B solar controller.

Leisure battery charging. Move starter battery supply on J1 on Nord unit to starter battery input on Renergy unit. Take output from Renergy unit through 40 amp fuse and then connect to J1.

And that should be it. I've read that the RE1 relay wiring is good for 70amps and I'm hoping any charging output from the Renergy should be enough to open the circuit through the relay. The alternative could be just be as above but take charging supply straight to the LB and leave the Nord unit J1 terminal disconnected but does that affect anything on the Nord unit apart from no display of starter battery voltage?

Any thoughts?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Hello, my van has NE 274 control unit,
Which distribution/fusebox does it have? If it's the NE 356 then it's possible to disable the split charge relay by adding a jumper wire, no need to disconnect J1.

OP
OP
djburns

djburns

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Font Vendome
Exp
5 years
Which distribution/fusebox does it have? If it's the NE 356 then it's possible to disable the split charge relay by adding a jumper wire, no need to disconnect J1.
Hello, It's a NE185/NE355 I think, but I'd be interested to hear about disabling the split charge relay. At the moment I have gone for connecting the van battery input lead directly to the B2B, leaving the J1 van input terminal completely clear. It seems to be working OK except that the Nord display doesn't display van battery voltage. Reads 0.00v

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
It's a NE185/NE355 I think,
Can you post a photo of the fusebox? I asked Delta Conversions about disabling the split charge relay on the NE356, and they came back with a detailed method, including exactly how to connect a B2B, including the D+ control signal. Apparently you can add a wire between Jumper 6 (J6) and Jumper 7 (J7) which will disable the relay.

The diagram is for a Nordelettronica B2B, but if you already have a different B2B then the wiring is much the same. I have no connection with the company, but it may be useful to know that Delta Conversions supply Nordelettronica units, kits and parts, and info about them too.
NE356 and DC-DC connections.jpg

OP
OP
djburns

djburns

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Font Vendome
Exp
5 years
Pretty sure I have the NE355 and I have found the manual with diagram. It says you can jump J14 to J15 for DC-DC charger. So I'll have another look. I have spoken to Delta

Attachments

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back