Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 30, 2023
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
New to MotorHoming
I bought a Compass Motorhome back in April from a dealer in Nottinghamshire but just realized that I never received the V5C from DVLA.
I know I can apply for a duplicate from DVLA but that is unlikely to arrive before our planned trip to France in 10 days time so I'm faced with the choice of either cancelling the trip or just going anyway and hope I don't get stopped by the police.
What would you do (apart from giving myself a good kicking!) ?

Edit: - Just found it - What a muppet :frowny:

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If it were me, I would make sure I have my bill of sale & insurance and go. If you are stopped, do your best to become the politest, friendliest, most apologetic, most stupid Englishman they have ever met, they'll fine you or they won't, it's only money :D. And compared to the memories you'll have from an overseas trip it's no contest.

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As mentioned elsewhere on the site. Take photos of all your important documents and save them in "whats app" share with your travelling partner or a.n. other.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B578
Exp
Just starting out
DVLA are quite quick when its straightforward. I changed the reg on our van last friday and the new v5 dropped through the door this morning.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Twice with a new van no log book having once been hit inFrance just showed bill of sale and once near Limoges pulled in and. Weighed van 3 days. Old just again showed bill of sale. A French policeman who spoke good English explained it is to prove you have permission to be using the van so either will do I explained to him that the log book only showed the registered keeper who may not be the owner and he said most police know that but that is what they are asked to check

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have been taking vehicles to France and Spain for 50 years, I have never been asked for any documents. Just depends on luck

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just for info if you do have an incident they always want to see the V5 even if you just want a crime report for a theft from a vehicle you won't get one without producing the V5.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It does depend where you’re going of course. We’ve just come across the border into Romania. The guards barely looked at our passports but others in our group had to show V5, drivers licence and were searched.

It didn’t seem to matter whether it was a main motorway border or one of the quieter roads. There are 18 vans. It will be interesting to see what happens when we go into Bulgaria as there’s still a hard land border there as well.

Don’t think you’d have much luck there without a V5.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I bought a Compass Motorhome back in April from a dealer in Nottinghamshire but just realized that I never received the V5C from DVLA.
I know I can apply for a duplicate from DVLA but that is unlikely to arrive before our planned trip to France in 10 days time so I'm faced with the choice of either cancelling the trip or just going anyway and hope I don't get stopped by the police.
What would you do (apart from giving myself a good kicking!) ?

Edit: - Just found it - What a muppet :frowny:
"What would you do (apart from giving myself a good kicking!) ?"

Don't do that.

You'll probably miss! :rofl:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
If it were me, I would make sure I have my bill of sale & insurance and go. If you are stopped, do your best to become the politest, friendliest, most apologetic, most stupid Englishman they have ever met, they'll fine you or they won't, it's only money :D. And compared to the memories you'll have from an overseas trip it's no contest.
Hi.
Snap........ But i call it my.. " Little lost Brownie act. ". Works/worked for me. ( .... and long may it do so :ROFLMAO: 🚛(y) )
Tea Bag

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back