Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Just before I go ahead and buy - is nitrogen worth the extra……has anyone else ticked this box and felt any apparent benefit?

IMG_9198.jpeg

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
As a fire precaution for aircraft, wheel fires, although not that uncommon, may be due to the high landing speeds and pilots needing to apply full braking on landing or anti- skid faliour. Also you know the nitrogen is dry so less risk of the alloy wheels corroding.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Even though nitrogen passes through the tyre wall slower than does oxygen, it still passes through. So at some point the tyre will have to be inflated which will mean taking it somewhere where it can be inflated with nitrogen - not very practical.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How are you going to adjust your tyre pressures on a trip?
Offen adjust mine both up & down a couple of times sometimes more often on a 6-7 week trip as temperatures vary.

Upvote 0

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
I believe Hydrogen is more stable on pressures ie: when the tyres get hot they do not vary so much in pressure like tyres filled with air🤔🤔
I’m not sure about that. Gay-Lussac’s law states that for a given volume (for example inside a tyre) the pressure is directly proportional to the temperature for an ideal gas which nitrogen, oxygen and hydrogen all approximate to under normal conditions. So no matter which gas you have in your tyre, the pressure will rise by the same as the temperature increases.

One reason why the pressure may not increase so much with hydrogen is that it probably leaking like a sieve out of the tyre. Hydrogen is a much smaller molecule than oxygen or nitrogen and will have much less trouble finding its way out between the polymer molecules in the tyre

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back