Newbie in Germany (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 30, 2024
Dartford, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Conversion
Exp
Since December 2023 (caravans & tents before then)
I’ve scanned a few threads on Germany from other funsters; I’m contemplating an imminent visit to Aachen, the Rhine and the Moselle areas. I’m very used to the relaxed nature of French touring, but I’d love to know how similar Germany is in practice. Do I need to make advance bookings? Is ACSI as good a guide? Can I get by with my few words of German, and a translator on my phone? (“Haben zie ein stellplatz bitte?”)
I’m conscious this is the usual pre-trip anxiety; but knowing that many here will have done the trip, I’d be grateful for advice/ correction/ reassurance.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
All the German you need to know really,
Bier bitte 😁😁

We have traveled to Germany 2-3 times a year now and love the place, on sites the very popular ones near lakes would probably need booking a fair bit in advance but most of the Stelplatz just roll up about 11-00am to get a spot.
ACSI does help as most sites accept out of peak season the site in Lake Titisee accepts it but do not take bookings just turn up.

Brilliant country to visit and most Germans are very friendly😁😁

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
There’s 6900 + stellplatz you don’t need to book just turn up find a spot either someone comes for your money or there’s a card machine 1euro for electric average between 8 and 20 euro but mostly 12to 15 we’ve been going for 30 years in motorhome and 50 motorcycle and camping.

OP
OP
julianbryant
Apr 30, 2024
Dartford, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Conversion
Exp
There’s 6900 + stellplatz you don’t need to book just turn up find a spot either someone comes for your money or there’s a card machine 1euro for electric average between 8 and 20 euro but mostly 12to 15 we’ve been going for 30 years in motorhome and 50 motorcycle and camping.
That’s really helpful - and reassuring!

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Planning an autumn trip to Germany and Poland. Had an ASCI card some years ago, but with mainly off-grid stop-overs did not make much use of it. Thinking of getting a digital version for this trip (which runs for 12 months from date of issue, unlike the annual card option).

Two questions, if anyone can help please. Firstly, is the discount card likely to be worthwhile in Germany and/or Poland?
Secondly, they are now advertising a Motorhome version (only 6 Euros more), which claims to give detailed information about some 9,000 motorhome pitches in Europe. If anyone has made use of this, does it give any worthwhile information beyond that available on (for example) Search4Sites?

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Re the ASCI card it depends where you are heading.
Some areas have loads of site with the discount some not so.
The id card is worth having as it's fairly common for sites to hold onto your id and I'm not a fan of them having passport.
The extra just gives info on stellplatz locations.
We have had the card for years, sometimes it saves us a lot sometimes we have not used it.
If you plan to just use stellplatz I would not bother.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We did the Moselle and Romantic Road last year, you may find the travelogue below useful.

In summary we used mainly Stelplatz because they are cheaper than ACSi and on the whole in better locations. We couldn't see any appreciable improvement between them and the few campsites we used, despite the sites costing a lot more. On the Moselle there are loads of stelplatz and they are all right on the river bank. We made no advance bookings and were travelling around the time you want to go. We don't speak German and at times it got interesting because a lot of Germans don't speak English, but Google translate on signs was our friend.

We found Germany to be very motorhome friendly and also inexpensive. The food is a bit heavy and mostly uninspiring, but then the beer is good. So is some of the wine despite what Lenny might tell you. We went almost to tick it off, but returned saying we will definitely go back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
julianbryant
Apr 30, 2024
Dartford, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Conversion
Exp
Time for a report back. It would appear campsites (which I prefer) in the middle Rhine and Moselle are pretty full: receptionist advised making a booking. “Everyone is here for the wine!” Trier was full. In Rüdesheim I had to move pitch for a longer stay. And loads of Danish, and some Swedish units, few Dutch or British. No French.
Also found out German slang for VW camper is ‘bulli’, going way back: a contraction for the terms for work van and people carrier. Had me properly foxed, so I googled it.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Planning an autumn trip to Germany and Poland. Had an ASCI card some years ago, but with mainly off-grid stop-overs did not make much use of it. Thinking of getting a digital version for this trip (which runs for 12 months from date of issue, unlike the annual card option).

Two questions, if anyone can help please. Firstly, is the discount card likely to be worthwhile in Germany and/or Poland?
Secondly, they are now advertising a Motorhome version (only 6 Euros more), which claims to give detailed information about some 9,000 motorhome pitches in Europe. If anyone has made use of this, does it give any worthwhile information beyond that available on (for example) Search4Sites?
Search for sites is not worth it in Germany.
You will get up to 20 times more reviews on camper contact. Spielplatz app does the same as cc.

Germany is just as easy as France for aires/stellplatzes but a bit more organized in parking. In France you can always seem to squeeze an extra 10 vans into a non CCP aire 🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back