Newbie empty nesters needing new fun lifestyle hobby

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Newbie, hired a motothome once
Hello all
As recent empty nesters we need a new mutual hobby. Wife and I have just returned from hiring a MH for 4 days and we're still talking to each other! We loved it. Can't believe you can find beautiful peaceful off grid park ups (used park4night app) with priceless views for free. Who new being able to have hot shower and cook roast lamb dinner in a lay-by could be so rewarding! Also tried a night in a C&C club site. Amazing quality facilities. Looking to share our experiences and need to learn and ask questions from all the experts on here as we want to find a used MH to buy asap. We tried an end fixed bed layout but feel on reflection we would prefer an end lounge that converts to bed and possibly with a pull down bed also in case we fall out! All advice and comments will be gratefully received. Did anyone else start singing 'On the Road Again' by Canned Heat first time they went motor homing? lol.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
s
Exp
Since 2007
Hi and welcome (y)(y)

exiting times!

take a breath
as you have already established, the real important bit is to decide which layout is going to best suit your needs
then how much storage and payload are you needing

search, buy, enjoy.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Go and see as many as you can, there are so many different types and lay outs , make a list of must have, would be nice and don’t want don’t rush and you have a good chance you will get what you want.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MARZ4
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Hi and welcome (y)(y)

exiting times!

take a breath
as you have already established, the real important bit is to decide which layout is going to best suit your needs
then how much storage and payload are you needing

search, buy, enjoy.
Exactly Phill what we are talking about. The fixed bed layout gave little 'lounging space' but a nice garage underneath. Pros and cons will all layouts I'm sure. Being able to lie on 2 long settees would suit us better we think like with a u shaped end lounge. We will hire one to try out soon to see how easy or not the conversion to the bed is. For payload we are thinking we would want space for 2 electric bikes, body boards and golf clubs so is this possible with and end lounge layout we are wandering? But yes exciting times for sure. Thanks for your warm welcome here.

OP
OP
MARZ4
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Go and see as many as you can, there are so many different types and lay outs , make a list of must have, would be nice and don’t want don’t rush and you have a good chance you will get what you want.
Thanks for the great advice PaulyP, really appreciated. Apart from autotrader adverts can you suggest other websites worth browsing in our search? Cheers.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
s
Exp
Since 2007
Exactly Phill what we are talking about. The fixed bed layout gave little 'lounging space' but a nice garage underneath. Pros and cons will all layouts I'm sure. Being able to lie on 2 long settees would suit us better we think like with a u shaped end lounge. We will hire one to try out soon to see how easy or not the conversion to the bed is. For payload we are thinking we would want space for 2 electric bikes, body boards and golf clubs so is this possible with and end lounge layout we are wandering? But yes exciting times for sure. Thanks for your warm welcome here.
we have had the U shaped lounge van and sure enough lounging on 2 large settees was very nice, particularly in early and late season in the uk when you are less likely to sit out. Travelling around sunnier climes you are likely to spend most of your time outside. so its, how and where are you most going to use your van.
We got fed up with cushion shuffling and even the better seat cushions can be a bit lumpy as a bed. So we then opted for fixed beds, end bathroom layout, which seems to suit us . well, we have had it for the last 11 years and not even considered changing.

But as you rightly say everything is a compromise.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Thanks for the great advice PaulyP, really appreciated. Apart from autotrader adverts can you suggest other websites worth browsing in our search? Cheers.
Google local motorhome dealers and then look around their stock, you need to see them in the flesh, is the shower big enough, can you sit comfortably on the loo, what would it be like stuck inside in really bad weather, all things to be considered.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
:welc:
They say the the motorhome which is a keeper is the 3rd one. Ours is the 2nd so that dispels that. Whatever you get for the first one you will learn from. Avoiding taking too much "junk" but we all collect it.
If you get chance take time to tour around. We do mini trips staying in pub car parks and using a site every 4 days to empty the toilet and grey water tank and fill up with water. Get solar panels then you are not reliant on hook up.
If you are retired the world is your oyster. We spend January, February and March in Spain warming our old bones.
With a motorhome you have more choice and a chance to meet many new friends.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
For payload we are thinking we would want space for 2 electric bikes, body boards and golf clubs so is this possible with and end lounge layout we are wandering? But yes exciting times for sure. Thanks for your warm welcome here.

Don’t fixate on having to have a large enough internal storage space to take the bikes. We’ve come from a lifetime of camping and our requirements were (in order) a fixed double bed, reasonable seating/eating space (cook, eat and lounge about outside whenever possible), and some storage.

The bikes travel on a Thule tow bar mounted rack (as they did before) so the reduced height storage due to the fixed island bed above in our Adria Compact SC is a non-issue for us.

Good luck in your search.

OP
OP
MARZ4
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Google local motorhome dealers and then look around their stock, you need to see them in the flesh, is the shower big enough, can you sit comfortably on the loo, what would it be like stuck inside in really bad weather, all things to be considered.
Great advice. Thank you

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Welcome onboard guys, the round of motorhome shows are over for this year, but the Caravan Camping & Motorhome Show will be at the NEC in February next year which will have a good selection of vans with different layouts to give you a chance to make a better informed decision on which layout to go for.

OP
OP
MARZ4
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Don’t fixate on having to have a large enough internal storage space to take the bikes. We’ve come from a lifetime of camping and our requirements were (in order) a fixed double bed, reasonable seating/eating space (cook, eat and lounge about outside whenever possible), and some storage.

The bikes travel on a Thule tow bar mounted rack (as they did before) so the reduced height storage due to the fixed island bed above in our Adria Compact SC is a non-issue for us.

Good luck in your search.
Many Thanks Orion. Agreed that bike racks are popular for a good reason and will be on our essential must have features.

OP
OP
MARZ4
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Welcome onboard guys, the round of motorhome shows are over for this year, but the Caravan Camping & Motorhome Show will be at the NEC in February next year which will have a good selection of vans with different layouts to give you a chance to make a better informed decision on which layout to go for.
That's a great shout thank you. Will book some tickets to that asap.

OP
OP
MARZ4
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
:welc:
They say the the motorhome which is a keeper is the 3rd one. Ours is the 2nd so that dispels that. Whatever you get for the first one you will learn from. Avoiding taking too much "junk" but we all collect it.
If you get chance take time to tour around. We do mini trips staying in pub car parks and using a site every 4 days to empty the toilet and grey water tank and fill up with water. Get solar panels then you are not reliant on hook up.
If you are retired the world is your oyster. We spend January, February and March in Spain warming our old bones.
With a motorhome you have more choice and a chance to meet many new friends.
Yes that's exactly the way we want to be able to go off grid for 3 or 4 days at a time. We need to investigate what solar and battery set up meets our requirements. I'm sure there are some threads on here that detail this aspect of motor homing. I've paid my subscription now so will peruse the resources section.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
That's a great shout thank you. Will book some tickets to that asap.
If you have or intend to join the CCC or CAMC, then they usually offer a discounted ticket price for the NEC show.
May not be the case for all, but we get a 10% discount with our motorhome insurers by being a CCC member.

davidroxburgh

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You may want to research dealers with a good second hand stock. Although they are not everyone’s cup of tea Travelworld are a large dealer not too far from you. Brownhills and Oaktree Motorhomes too.

Looking at new vans is not as easy as it once was. Many dealers want pre-arranged appointments. Hence my suggestion of second hand vans. Select Motorhomes in the West Country have a good selection but I should confess my own van is there! Simon Jones the owner is a Funster.

Practical Motorhome Magazine do include a table at the end of each issue that lists a certain style of van. It may be worth your while doing a digital subscription and printing out those tables so you build up a good overview.

We found out best van at No 3. No 4 is only because of age and the need for a smaller vehicle. I hope that may help.

Good luck!

David

OP
OP
MARZ4
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
If you have or intend to join the CCC or CAMC, then they usually offer a discounted ticket price for the NEC show.
May not be the case for all, but we get a 10% discount with our motorhome insurers by being a CCC member.
Yes we joined the CCC. Saved £8 on a stop over last week. You say we can get other discounts. wow thanks for this knowledge. We'll buy you a drink one day. Everyone is so helpful on here. Great community, So glad we joined(y):wine:

OP
OP
MARZ4
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
You may want to research dealers with a good second hand stock. Although they are not everyone’s cup of tea Travelworld are a large dealer not too far from you. Brownhills and Oaktree Motorhomes too.

Looking at new vans is not as easy as it once was. Many dealers want pre-arranged appointments. Hence my suggestion of second hand vans. Select Motorhomes in the West Country have a good selection but I should confess my own van is there! Simon Jones the owner is a Funster.

Practical Motorhome Magazine do include a table at the end of each issue that lists a certain style of van. It may be worth your while doing a digital subscription and printing out those tables so you build up a good overview.

We found out best van at No 3. No 4 is only because of age and the need for a smaller vehicle. I hope that may help.

Good luck!

David
Super helpful David . Many thanks

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Huh, from my experience you'll not have time on your hands. The nest may be empty but feathered fledglings don't have phones, email, WhatsApp, unreliable cars............
Mine must think that now they've gone I'm looking for things to do.

And......Welcome!
need to learn and ask questions from all the experts on here as we want to find a used MH to buy asap.
In the 'Resources' section there's a downloadable 'Motorhome Buyers Guide' that you may find useful.

OP
OP
MARZ4
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Huh, from my experience you'll not have time on your hands. The nest may be empty but feathered fledglings don't have phones, email, WhatsApp, unreliable cars............
Mine must think that now they've gone I'm looking for things to do.

And......Welcome!

In the 'Resources' section there's a downloadable 'Motorhome Buyers Guide' that you may find useful.

Tell me about them Spriddler! Would it be wrong to sell our house without telling them our new address?!
Downloaded the MH buying guide. Wow, What a gem of a resource for free. Already on page 20. So useful. Won't be parting with any cash yet until we have our must have checklist. This will definitely keep my emotions in check and encourage the scientist logical part of my brain to engage but I do enjoy spontaneity so always in conflict, lol.

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
No longer have one
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Hello all
As recent empty nesters we need a new mutual hobby. Wife and I have just returned from hiring a MH for 4 days and we're still talking to each other! We loved it. Can't believe you can find beautiful peaceful off grid park ups (used park4night app) with priceless views for free. Who new being able to have hot shower and cook roast lamb dinner in a lay-by could be so rewarding! Also tried a night in a C&C club site. Amazing quality facilities. Looking to share our experiences and need to learn and ask questions from all the experts on here as we want to find a used MH to buy asap. We tried an end fixed bed layout but feel on reflection we would prefer an end lounge that converts to bed and possibly with a pull down bed also in case we fall out! All advice and comments will be gratefully received. Did anyone else start singing 'On the Road Again' by Canned Heat first time they went motor homing? lol.
Great song to sing. I now have an earworm😂. Welcome

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Hello and welcome. I always have Willy Nelson's On the Road Again going round my head, but there's room for Canned Heat too !

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
w2f

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun