New Symbol (1 Viewer)

Feb 17, 2014
Lossiemouth, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Symbol
Exp
Since 2014
At present I'm looking at buying a new Symbol but I've read a lot of negatives regarding the internal Whale submersible pump fitted in the water tank.

Is it as bad as painted or just because more people tend to post on a forum when they have problems?

I suppose what I'm looking for are comments from current owners who've had no problems to give a bit of balance.

This is the main thing that's putting me off from buying.

Feb 15, 2022
Crieff, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2014
I've only my experience on other forums, you will find people looking for help and so read about more issues than compliments. If I paid attention to all the negative posts about items I own I would not have my car, my motorhome, my TV etc.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
If that’s your only worry buy the an and replace with another type of pump. It should be the layout o the van that you need to get right.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
A pump is a £50 replacement part.
My van is 2018 and I'm on my third pump and have a spare in the toolbox.
It's very low on my priority list.

I'd be looking at the base vehicle first (Mercedes, Fiat, Iveco, Citroen, Peugeot, Ford, etc. probably in that order)
Then looking at the quality of the top (German, French, Italian or British, again, in that order)
Then once you had your top decided, chose the manufacturer(s), Hymer, Delitlef, Burstner etc.
Then choose your length (Under 6m, under 7m, under 8m, etc)
Then start looking at layouts, which in turn can influence all the decisions above,
which may mean starting again!

Remember to stir budget into the mix !

All M/H's suffer from known faults or design issues.
Ideally you need to know what they are before you start.
Some items (such as water pumps are easily fixable and upgradable.
Whereas the known issue with Fiat gearboxes on vans of a certain age can cost thousands

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A pump is a £50 replacement part.
My van is 2018 and I'm on my third pump and have a spare in the toolbox.
It's very low on my priority list.

I'd be looking at the base vehicle first (Mercedes, Fiat, Iveco, Citroen, Peugeot, Ford, etc. probably in that order)
Then looking at the quality of the top (German, French, Italian or British, again, in that order)
Then once you had your top decided, chose the manufacturer(s), Hymer, Delitlef, Burstner etc.
Then choose your length (Under 6m, under 7m, under 8m, etc)
Then start looking at layouts, which in turn can influence all the decisions above,
which may mean starting again!

Remember to stir budget into the mix !

All M/H's suffer from known faults or design issues.
Ideally you need to know what they are before you start.
Some items (such as water pumps are easily fixable and upgradable.
Whereas the known issue with Fiat gearboxes on vans of a certain age can cost thousands
On your choice of base vehicles our ford has been reliable for the past 8 years with one recall for a remap. The Fiat you list as your preferred choice seems to have had a lot more problems mechanically especially with the electronics. I think your preference could be summed up more succinctly as you would prefer the most expensive in all categories!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back