New MH and off to Italy. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 592
Hi Everyone.

Just new to Motorhome Fun and already loving the site, the people, the banter and of course the very wise advice.

We’ve just bought our Bailey 952, 4 years old but new to us. Already, with advice from here, realise we need a few things if we want to keep it safe. Locking wheel nuts, steering lock, door locks and a few top tips. I guess we were just so excited we didn’t think of these things.

Hey Ho, not damping our spirits as we are planning to drive to Italy for a 2-3 month break. Trying hard to absorb all the info about tolls, vignettes, ULEZ etc and of course reading about fellow MH adventures.

Just wanted to tip our hats and of course any advice will be greatly appreciated as there is no time wasted on a recce.

Well off to start buying some safety gadgets followed closely by everything we require for Europe.

Can’t wait and loving this life already.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Welcome! :welcome3:

We did Italy earlier this year (for the third time). Loved it.

You are doing the sensible thing with some planning - tags, vignettes etc. Don't be afraid to ask some questions!

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Kiko Mizuhara Hello GIF

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi Everyone.

Just new to Motorhome Fun and already loving the site, the people, the banter and of course the very wise advice.

We’ve just bought our Bailey 952, 4 years old but new to us. Already, with advice from here, realise we need a few things if we want to keep it safe. Locking wheel nuts, steering lock, door locks and a few top tips. I guess we were just so excited we didn’t think of these things.

Hey Ho, not damping our spirits as we are planning to drive to Italy for a 2-3 month break. Trying hard to absorb all the info about tolls, vignettes, ULEZ etc and of course reading about fellow MH adventures.

Just wanted to tip our hats and of course any advice will be greatly appreciated as there is no time wasted on a recce.

Well off to start buying some safety gadgets followed closely by everything we require for Europe.

Can’t wait and loving this life already.
Welcome and get an alarm fitted which has an internal siren if visiting Italy!

I exaggerate somewhat but after our first trip I had an alarm fitted. But we drove down right to the end and stopped in a few odd places. If you are just staying in the north it's no different to anywhere else.

I love a Italy but be prepared for the drivers!

OP
OP
K
Aug 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 592
Welcome and get an alarm fitted which has an internal siren if visiting Italy!

I exaggerate somewhat but after our first trip I had an alarm fitted. But we drove down right to the end and stopped in a few odd places. If you are just staying in the north it's no different to anywhere else.

I love an Italy but be prepared for the drivers!
Hi DBK.

Thankyou for your input and advice.

I have heard the drivers are a bit crazy but luckily I’ve spent some time in North Cyprus so I’m ready for them. 😂😂

I am a bit confused on the “internal” alarm though, could you expand a little on that please?

I’ve got an extra hab door lock, wheel lock, ratchet strap between passenger door and driver door and the van is fitted with an alarm and immobiliser and I honestly thought that was over the top but I’m certainly open to words of wisdom.

Thank you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi DBK.

Thankyou for your input and advice.

I have heard the drivers are a bit crazy but luckily I’ve spent some time in North Cyprus so I’m ready for them. 😂😂

I am a bit confused on the “internal” alarm though, could you expand a little on that please?

I’ve got an extra hab door lock, wheel lock, ratchet strap between passenger door and driver door and the van is fitted with an alarm and immobiliser and I honestly thought that was over the top but I’m certainly open to words of wisdom.

Thank you.
What I meant was an internal siren. These generate so much noise no thief can remain in the vehicle unless they remembered to bring ear defenders. Most people ignore vehicle alarms going off so these are not much of a deterrent to a thief.

You can add locks and these will also be a deterrent but they can easily force open a plastic window to gain entry.

Fitting some sort of key operated safe bolted to the floor for passports and a back-up credit card is useful too.

OP
OP
K
Aug 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 592
Just a thought but do have a refillable gas system along with adapters for European travel
Hi Neil.
Thank you for your interest.
Yes I have the gaslo system but not the euro adapters. Good point. 👍
I’ll order one now.
After a quick look, I think it is the M22 I need but not sure about the bayonet as well.
I’ll check the van before ordering.
Thank you.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi Neil.
Thank you for your interest.
Yes I have the gaslo system but not the euro adapters. Good point. 👍
I’ll order one now.
After a quick look, I think it is the M22 I need but not sure about the bayonet as well.
I’ll check the van before ordering.
Thank you.
You can get sets of three gas adaptors which don't cost much and will cover virtually everywhere.

But you will probably have to search out a garage off the motorway to buy LPG. The motorway service areas have LPG pumps, which are manned and they don't sell gas "for cooking" in my experience. I believe it is down to different taxation rates for domestic versus propulsion use.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Welcome. Italy is great. The drivers are nuts and they will squeeze a MoHo into spaces you wouldn’t think possible😳 So if you stay on any Sostas always park to give yourself some space but not enough they will park there!
Oh get some Mirror Guards!

Last edited:
OP
OP
K
Aug 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 592
Just a thought but do have a refillable gas system along with adapters for European travel
Hi Neil.
Just bought some today. Thank you.
Is it worth/legal to put a Yale lock on the gaslow cupboard or are the two Bailey locks sufficient? Probably worrying over nothing. 🤔

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi Neil.
Just bought some today. Thank you.
Is it worth/legal to put a Yale lock on the gaslow cupboard or are the two Bailey locks sufficient? Probably worrying over nothing. 🤔
I don’t have any extra security apart from the two existing Pilote locks but if you feel it necessary you could add some extra security

Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria
Benvenuti :hi2:

Take care when in Lombardy particularly around Milan area They have an outbreak of Legionnaires which they suspect may be in the area's water system
Legionnaires disease

Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
look at a acsi card it may save you some £ on sites if you stay out of season.

OP
OP
K
Aug 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 592
I don’t have any extra security apart from the two existing Pilote locks but if you feel it necessary you could add some extra security
Thank you.
I’m not sure if it’s legal to put another lock in the gas cupboard as it’s all sealed so like you, I’ll stick with the two Bailey locks. Thanks again.

OP
OP
K
Aug 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 592
Benvenuti :hi2:

Take care when in Lombardy particularly around Milan area They have an outbreak of Legionnaires which they suspect may be in the area's water system
Legionnaires disease
Thank you.
I’ll fill up with water before Milan rather than run the risk
look at a acsi card it may save you some £ on sites if you stay out of season.
Thanks Roy.
I’ll have a look at that today as I’ll be over there until late November.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Warning board (reflective type) for anything mounted on the rear of the MoHo, still required in Italy i believe. Not sure if that will apply to you.

IMG_0402.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back