New Malibu PVC on Mercedes Sprinter Base (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
This looks interesting...

6.4 m PVC on a 6m Sprinter van that's been cunningly extended.

Malibu Genius

Last edited:
OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
The Fiat Malibu vans have also had a make-over ..

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
"World Premiere" of this innovative "Genius" model will be at the October MC Show at the NEC! Good to have something launched first in the UK for those who don't go to the Dusseldorf Show.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
A bit like the La Strada Nova but thats a coachbuilt body.

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
No mention of an All Wheel Drive version which is a shame as the Sprinter AWD van is rather good.

Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
No mention of an All Wheel Drive version which is a shame as the Sprinter AWD van is rather good.
Should have gone to spec savers:
Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 11.07.47.png

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Has an interesting solution for carrying bikes - I like that they are securely hidden inside the van but the downside is removing the front wheel every time.

If anyone would like to lend me one of these for 12 months I'm sure I could do an in depth review eventually!

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
I assume the Merc version is going to carry a significant cost premium, but against a Fiat 6.4m what extra do you get for your money? The narrow bodied Merc has always felt compromised and I think we’re adopted more due to availability rather than suitability. The Ducato in its 10th incarnation looks smart, and is still the benchmark for practicality IMHO.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Nice van, they are many looking to downsize, if the Shower room/wc is as good as it looks that will win favour, rear wheel drive with 180PS & 8 speed proper auto box, means it will fly along and should be very quiet also as Carthago/Malibu have great robust cabinetry.
Brace yourself for the price release!:eek:
LES

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Nice van, they are many looking to downsize, if the Shower room/wc is as good as it looks that will win favour, rear wheel drive with 180PS & 8 speed proper auto box, means it will fly along and should be very quiet also as Carthago/Malibu have great robust cabinetry.
LES
I’m guessing £110 - £140 k range depending on spec.

Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
I'm hoping it's less than that. They are probably going to price it right to take on Hymers market place. Hymers Free S Campus is a 5.93 metre, 2WD van, without pop top and it starts at £67,560. The Grand Canyon S is their cheapest 4×4 at £89,570. Maybe there will be options for the engine power too, ranging from 150 to 190 bhp. The base vehicle should be a lot cheaper than those figures you've quoted but they'll get you with the options. I'm thinking all those windows around the bed and the wash room window will be extra.

I've got a Ducato 600 dbk on order. It starts around £61k ort, I've got mine up to £91k. They definitely got me with the options but that's the spec I like and it will be a lovely van.

Hopefully more information will filter out of Dusseldolf in a months time. Then, hopefully, it will debut for the British market in October at the NEC. Maybe it won't. The Eriba car campervan still isn't available in this country. I hope Malibu take the initiative and pip Hymer/Eriba at the post by showing the lovely Genius in Birmingham. I'm interested in possibly upgrading my order if the pricing is right and it hasn't got a stupid options range like the Hymers.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
LES
8 speed !?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
So Merc do Sprinters in 5.3m, 6m, 7m and 7.4m lengths. So Malibu decided they need a 6.4m variant to match the Ducato, so grafted an extension? I wonder if a 7m would have been about the same price and weight?

Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
So Merc do Sprinters in 5.3m, 6m, 7m and 7.4m lengths. So Malibu decided they need a 6.4m variant to match the Ducato, so grafted an extension? I wonder if a 7m would have been about the same price and weight?
Maybe one of Malibu's reasons they have chosen a Mercedes base is because Stellantis is way behind in production and they might be losing sales with a two years plus waiting list. I'm not sure how long the wait is for a Mercedes.

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
I saw the prototype when doing the factory tour last June. They let us have a peak to the interior, but couldn't enter nor take pictures.
Not a great fan of the Malibu vans distribution and solutions, but they look very well done. Quallity all around.
And, hey, this is a Sprinter :giggle:
I highly recommend the factory tour in Aulendorf.

Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
I saw the prototype when doing the factory tour last June. They let us have a peak to the interior, but couldn't enter nor take pictures.
Not a great fan of the Malibu vans distribution and solutions, but they look very well done. Quallity all around.
And, hey, this is a Sprinter :giggle:
I highly recommend the factory tour in Aulendorf.
I worked in BMW and Honda in Swindon and loved working in light industry. Everything moving, it hardly ever stops. Lots of skilled people with their head screwed on. If I get the chance,I'll take the factory tour. Thanks for the tip.

Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Feels to me like it's adding a lot of cost and complexity. And probably weight too.
Like the Mercedes Hymer's. I've configured a few and before you know it, it's in excess of £100k and there's little left for your personal payload.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I think it's the wheelbase ... the 6m Sprinters are very nimble but the 7m Sprinters are a longer wheelbase which is noticeable when driving and parking. I think the Hymer ML-t is on the shorter wheelbase 6m Sprinter chassis - so it's 7m motorhome with a noticeable overhang but quite nimble as long you remember where the rear is!

Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
LES
Looks like 93,000 euros

Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I think it's the wheelbase ... the 6m Sprinters are very nimble but the 7m Sprinters are a longer wheelbase which is noticeable when driving and parking. I think the Hymer ML-t is on the shorter wheelbase 6m Sprinter chassis - so it's 7m motorhome with a noticeable overhang but quite nimble as long you remember where the rear is!
I love the SWB sprinters, when they work, , Im in my 4th.

Rear Wheel Drive. 7G-Tronic Auto. Like driving a huge E-Class.

But I think you can only buy SWB RWD AUTOS in certain markets now,Germany for example.

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
I've just bought a brand new Malibu Diversity GT Skyview 640 LE K after seeing one in the flesh at their factory last year, I also ticked practically every available optional extra except auto box, (don't like automatic in a camper van) I insisted on the manual 180bhp and price came in at £104k currently touring around Europe at the minute and put about 4,000 miles on it so far but what a van & what an engine! by far the best engine I've ever had in a camper I've got a trailer & 300cc Vespa currently on tow with it too and you wouldn't even know it was on in spite of some seriously steep & twisty mountain roads the torque just goes on, but as others have said glad to see Carthago being forever innovative with their productions, 🙂

Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
I've just bought a brand new Malibu Diversity GT Skyview 640 LE K after seeing one in the flesh at their factory last year, I also ticked practically every available optional extra except auto box, (don't like automatic in a camper van) I insisted on the manual 180bhp and price came in at £104k currently touring around Europe at the minute and put about 4,000 miles on it so far but what a van & what an engine! by far the best engine I've ever had in a camper I've got a trailer & 300cc Vespa currently on tow with it too and you wouldn't even know it was on in spite of some seriously steep & twisty mountain roads the torque just goes on, but as others have said glad to see Carthago being forever innovative with their productions, 🙂
Struth, £104k. That's a very high spec. I do like the LE K. I've got a DB K on order, coming in at £91k and i thought that was a high spec. I want to 180bhp engine too. Very interesting about the manual gearbox. I'm a little concerned that mine will eventually be a series 10 with the new 8 speed gearbox. Seems like everyone loved the old ZF 9 speed. It could be the new box is just as good. I didn't know you could spec the manual box with the 180 bhp engine.
I used too shout at the automatic gearbox in the Daf CF tractor unit as I drove off the Botely roundabout on the A420. Wretched thing used to block change from 8th to 10th then struggle up the hill. I'm not a big fan of the automatic gearbox. (I could probably live with Porsche's PDK in a new 911 though😁). Maybe it's an good idea to change the order. Maybe I'll get a chassis number sooner as most people want the auto.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back