New LPG tank operational (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
As promised we are back up and running with our brand new tank .
Probably going to look at installing another tank next year so we have a back up 👍

IMG_1547.jpeg

IMG_1570.jpeg

IMG_1569.jpeg

IMG_1546.jpeg

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Where is it located ?
Opening Hours ?

Also as a suggestion, leave the installation of the second tank for at least 2 years.
As they have a life of 20 years it means when you need to replace your new one you will have enough of a time gap that you dont need to do both at the same time, and install in such a way that either tank can with minor modification be the master tank.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Makes me wonder what happens to all those LPG tanks/Pumps ripped out of Garages like Shell have done.
They must have had years life left in some of them, I hope they were re-utilised somewhere, but wouldn't hold my breath on that.
LES

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Where is it located ?
Opening Hours ?

Also as a suggestion, leave the installation of the second tank for at least 2 years.
As they have a life of 20 years it means when you need to replace your new one you will have enough of a time gap that you dont need to do both at the same time, and install in such a way that either tank can with minor modification be the master tank.
Have you not noticed the Avatar :LOL: :LOL:

I suspect its in Thirsk, somewhere near Autogas 2000.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Where is it located ?
Opening Hours ?

Might be worth trying to rearrange the following words into a common phrase! 😆

"Eggs, suck, granny, your, teaching, to"

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Makes me wonder what happens to all those LPG tanks/Pumps ripped out of Garages like Shell have done.
They must have had years life left in some of them, I hope they were re-utilised somewhere, but wouldn't hold my breath on that.
LES
Probably just leave them in place and seal the filling / delivery points.:unsure:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Probably just leave them in place and seal the filling / delivery points.:unsure:
LPG tanks are not placed underground like fuel tanks in garages. You will notice they were normally stood on stands at the side or rear of the garage, enclosed behind safety barriers & fences. They when de-commissioned would have been loaded on the back of a lorry and taken away....but where I wonder, and what happened to them?
LES

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
LPG tanks are not placed underground like fuel tanks in garages. You will notice they were normally stood on stands at the side or rear of the garage, enclosed behind safety barriers & fences. They when de-commissioned would have been loaded on the back of a lorry and taken away....but where I wonder, and what happened to them?
LES
Probably just scrapped,

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I was just there this afternoon buying a new pigtail, which Chas (Basildog ) kindly fitted for me too in the price. Saw the new tank but we didn’t need a top up this time. But we’ll call in again before we set off on our European trip, fingers crossed, in September.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
68 pence a litre near us.
Bit pricey.
It does amuse me when someone spends good money to offer a service and someone else is so quick to criticise the cost that’s so small difference
I certainly would be happy to spend £1 a litre to have access to LPG
Good for you Basildog well done for offering a service

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Filled up on the Belgium/French border on the Belgium side at €0:51 a litre 2 weeks ago. I always thought Luxembourg was the cheapest for fuel, but that doesn’t include LPG which was €1:63 a litre a few weeks back. Adblue was a similar price, but Diesel was okay at €1:49

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Have you not noticed the Avatar :LOL: :LOL:

I suspect its in Thirsk, somewhere near Autogas 2000.
I agree, but from the Avatar it could be in anywhere, although probably in the UK.
A bit like organising a piss-up in a brewery, but neglecting to mention the location or the date.

There is no mention of 'Thirsk', which as it means 'Marsh' in Old Norse and there are many places with that name in the old Viking realm especially Scotland.

So a new LPG facility, probably somewhere in the old Danelaw, which may or may not be open 24x7.

As a potential punter I'm not going to be exploring an individual possible site.
I'll just use MyLPG.EU to fine LPG when I need it
(This site is now listed on MyLPG.eu)

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
It does amuse me when someone spends good money to offer a service and someone else is so quick to criticise the cost that’s so small difference
So I fill up 42 litres for £28.56, bit of a no brainer to me.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't see It as being a criticism, more an observation and opinion.

It depends on where you are as to whether the cost is reasonable or not, the sellers will pay different prices to the suppliers depending on where they are, how much they turnover etc so in some areas it could indeed be a heck of a lot cheaper than others. Our local Morrisons is currently charging 99.7p a litre so £1 isn't expensive for us but obviously if you're in a cheaper area it will seem a lot, if your in an area where the usual charge is £1.20 a litre then £1 is a bargain.

Regardless if you need it then you have to pay whatever the rate is or risk all the goodies in your fridge spoiling or even worse no way to boil a kettle for a morning cuppa! :eek:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I checked last year on LPG availability for another Funster that was travelling Scotland, so few and far between you might say. The LPG place on an industrial estate north of Ullapool was charging £1.48/Ltr, so as Minxy says its all about supplying gas to far out places, like Ullapool, I think they were the only supplier also, so can charge what ever is needed to cover costs with profit.
There are other places in Scotland that are much cheaper, but the Ullapool place stuck in my memory for obvious reasons.
PS: They are probably taking advantage of the people travelling to the Hebrides needing to fill up before they go. Not certain whether there is any LPG on the islands these days, there was one garage on Lewis, but I think I heard they are or were short supplied or empty.:unsure:
LES

Last edited:

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I checked last year on LPG availability for another Funster that was travelling Scotland, so few and far between you might say. The LPG place on an industrial estate north of Ullapool was charging £1.48/Ltr, so as Minxy says its all about supplying gas to far out places, like Ullapool, I think they were the only supplier also, so can charge what ever is needed to cover costs with profit.
There are other places in Scotland that are much cheaper, but the Ullapool place stuck in my memory for obvious reasons.
PS: They are probably taking advantage of the people travelling to the Hebrides needing to fill up before they go. Not certain whether there is any LPG on the islands these days, there was one garage on Lewis, but I think I heard they are or were short supplied or empty.:unsure:
LES
Scotland is not confined to the West Coast and Outer Hebrides. I find LPG is more readily available in the cities than it is “down south”. We even have running water and electric now 😜😉

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
The going rate in the south of England is around the £1 mark or slightly over with outlets fairly few and far between. There seems to be a cluster around the west Midlands where the going rate appears to be around 80p plus or minus with a multiplicity of outlets..

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
I suspect Charlie would need to charge many times more than the £1 a litre if he actually tried to make a ‘profit’ on lpg sales. It is offered as a service. It’s not that easy to find lpg much under £1 a litre these days unless you happen to be near somewhere that supplies taxis or the like.

OP
OP
Basildog

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I suspect Charlie would need to charge many times more than the £1 a litre if he actually tried to make a ‘profit’ on lpg sales. It is offered as a service. It’s not that easy to find lpg much under £1 a litre these days unless you happen to be near somewhere that supplies taxis or the like.
Yes the company mentioned as having cheap LPG is actually a fuel distributor .
They have their own depot with massive storage capacity and they operate a fleet of lorry’s, they almost certainly buy millions of litres unlike us small businesses that have to purchase it from these distributors who obviously add a profit.
I won’t go into the exact figures but for us to sell at £0.68 per litre we would be losing approximately £0.20 per litre then add expenses and wages.
We could probably find an alternative cheaper supplier if we only make the decision based on price , but as our current supplier is extremely reliable and hasn’t once let us down over the years we prefer to put service over cost.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Carvers service is actually pretty impressive. We've moved to them for our bulk tank refills.

Its not that hard to find lpg for sub 80p around West Midlands but its a long way to come from Yorkshire.

Mar 12, 2021
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
carthago e line 64xl
Exp
Brown hills is £1.20 a litre on the web site so£1.00 is reasonable and you get good service at basildogs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back