New compressor fridge - is this a weird noise? (1 Viewer)

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Hello
Day 1 of new thetford compressor fridge (Adria twin).
As well as usual ‘hum’ there is this strange ‘scrunching’ noise on left side, mid fridge.
Also seems to be present when other ‘hum’ presumably the compressor, turns off, but then stops after about 15s as well.
Any suggestions?
Hope it can be heard in video.

Attachments

• 73489286070__586DD81F-C0D0-4F13-A07B-33D7875A6819.MOV
    1,019.6 KB

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sounds weird to me.

Hopefully someone knowledgeable can help

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
our compressor fridge is with a front opening door - the picture suggests yours is top opening? Ours sounds nothing like that - the hum, yes but not the crunching noise.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Which model Thetford and does it have the drain tube attached or rely on the internal drip tray instead?

OP
OP
I
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Fridge seems to working ok, hoping it’s the coolant settling, or something similar…?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2017
Buckinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 164
Hello
Day 1 of new thetford compressor fridge (Adria twin).
As well as usual ‘hum’ there is this strange ‘scrunching’ noise on left side, mid fridge.
Also seems to be present when other ‘hum’ presumably the compressor, turns off, but then stops after about 15s as well.
Any suggestions?
Hope it can be heard in video.
It might be a heating element to the freezer that stops ice forming inside the freezer box. We have a Smeg fridge freezer and when we first heard this crunching crackling noise I thought it was on its way out. I found out that this is perfectly normal.
Maybe it's the same with your compressor fridge?

OP
OP
I
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Thetford T2138, looks like a wee drip tray at the bottom.
The noise definitely continues after fridge turned off, so I don’t think it’s the fan.

IMG_9025.jpeg

IMG_9026.jpeg

OP
OP
I
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
It’s a front opening door, freezer at the top.
When fridge turned off, it gets quieter for a bit and then eventually seems to stop.
our compressor fridge is with a front opening door - the picture suggests yours is top opening? Ours sounds nothing like that - the hum, yes but not the crunching noise.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
It’s a front opening door, freezer at the top.
When fridge turned off, it gets quieter for a bit and then eventually seems to stop.
We've been running a 2152 for the past year, it certainly doesn't make anything like that noise.

Is this a new fridge?

Cheers
Red.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The timing of the noise is spot on for refrigerant flowing through, if you can hear it, it usually stops a few seconds after the compressor stops. But it doesn't sound like any refrigerant I've heard, sounds like a paper label catching the condenser fan round the back 🤔

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Could it be gas caught in the pump? Isn't the valve supposed to keep the gas on the evap side? So maybe some gas has leaked?

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Ian, I hope you get on better with your Thetford than the Dometic compressor fridge that came with our new van - not had a compressor before.

Cannot run on gas; blows cold air into the van (not good in winter); freezer compartment ices up very quickly despite Dometic doing a 'fix' on this, and temperatures all over the place (we monitor them with permanent wireless probes). In one evening, the freezer temperature can vary between -19 and -2. Lastly, it's noisy, although we are starting to get used to that.

I don't know if this is supposed to be progress, but I'd rather have an absorption fridge!

Apr 20, 2009
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2008
We have an Adria Twin with the compressor fridge. It gurgles and sometimes sounds like a dog lapping water. I understand that these noises are from the refrigerant gassing in the coils - as it is supposed to. We have got used to the noise!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
one evening, the freezer temperature can vary between -19 and -2.
The plant is working well, it's just a control problem. Is it a digital thermostat? If so check the differential setting.

Another thing that springs to mind is when the freezer thermostat is in the fridge part, in a cold van the fridge won't cut in because the ambient temperature is close to the fridge temperature... and everything in the freezer defrosts 😢

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
The plant is working well, it's just a control problem. Is it a digital thermostat? If so check the differential setting.

Another thing that springs to mind is when the freezer thermostat is in the fridge part, in a cold van the fridge won't cut in because the ambient temperature is close to the fridge temperature... and everything in the freezer defrosts 😢
Trust me, we have gone into great detail on this, with the Dometic workshop at Tewkesbury as well.

One of the problems is that the freezer compartment comes as just a removable shelf with a door - no separate sides and back. It didn't fit that well so the cold freezer air was escaping into the fridge and the whole thing ices up. Dometic put a rubber seal around the shelf which made the seal slightly better, but still not good.

The fridge has 5 levels. Put it on level 3 and you get a great consistent fridge temperature (2 - 5 degrees), but lousy freezer temperatures. Put it on level 4 and you get better freezer temperatures, but the fridge temperatures go down to 0 to -3. It looks to me a fridge where the freezer compartment is an afterthought that wasn't designed well. Perhaps better to take it out and do without - we are considering this.

Perhaps Ian can do similar tests with his Thetford, and we can compare.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Trust me, we have gone into great detail on this, with the Dometic workshop at Tewkesbury as well.

One of the problems is that the freezer compartment comes as just a removable shelf with a door - no separate sides and back. It didn't fit that well so the cold freezer air was escaping into the fridge and the whole thing ices up. Dometic put a rubber seal around the shelf which made the seal slightly better, but still not good.

The fridge has 5 levels. Put it on level 3 and you get a great consistent fridge temperature (2 - 5 degrees), but lousy freezer temperatures. Put it on level 4 and you get better freezer temperatures, but the fridge temperatures go down to 0 to -3. It looks to me a fridge where the freezer compartment is an afterthought that wasn't designed well. Perhaps better to take it out and do without - we are considering this.

Yeah I converted my 3 way fridge to compressor and don't miss the freezer at all. You can always take a freezer box if you want 👍

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017

The Thetford has a dedicated fixed freezer compartment with separate temperature controls for freezer and fridge.

Cheers
Red.

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
I have the same van and the same fridge as you. I have also the same gurgling sound.
I sleep in the fridge side and know very well the cycle😆
After the compressor stops, then the fan stays on for a while, with that gurgling in the background, then everything stops a few minutes untill the compressor fires again.
So, I'd say there's nothing wrong with your fridge.

Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
Have you thought it might be little mice running around trying to keep warm :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back