Need to increase 12v capacity (34 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 4, 2010
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
DETHLEFFS C CLASS
Exp
To any member who may be able to help.
I have a large solar panel est 110watt and 1 domestic battery which is not proving sufficient when I am not on a site. Any suggestions please as to how to increase the capacity of my 12v system? Unfortunately there is no space for an additional battery and no space on the roof for an additional solar panel.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
To any member who may be able to help.
I have a large solar panel est 110watt and 1 domestic battery which is not proving sufficient when I am not on a site. Any suggestions please as to how to increase the capacity of my 12v system? Unfortunately there is no space for an additional battery and no space on the roof for an additional solar panel.
The answer is to get a lithium battery, same size, more capacity. Probably a new solar panel and mppt controller too

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
A bigger ah lithium may well be the same size as existing battery or a same size lithium. We replaced a lead acid with 230 ah lithium, instead of 100 ah and it still fits under the passenger seat in our Ducato van.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
As above plus maybe folding solar panel
or a portable generator.........

o.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
A bigger ah lithium may well be the same size as existing battery or a same size lithium. We replaced a lead acid with 230 ah lithium, instead of 100 ah and it still fits under the passenger seat in our Ducato van.
And a 100Ah lead acid only has about 50Ah of usable capacity. Whereas a 230Ah lithium battery can use pretty much all of its charge.

And lithium is more efficient too, so for every Ah you put in it, you get quite a bit more of that Ah back than you would with lead acid. So each bit of charge goes further.

And finally, lead acid has to trickle charge once it gets to about 3/4 full. So the sun might be out, but you can only put a few amps into the battery. So it might have clouded over before it's full. Meanwhile lithium can be charged at full speed until it's nearly full.

However, unless your van is only a few years old, you probably need to update your mains charger, solar charger and put a B2B charger in the feed from the alternator on order to support lithium. So for older vans, it's not a simple change.

Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
I would beg to differ. You have a small Solar panel. Sorry.

You need more useable storage and much more solar.
Turn to 12v for as much kit as you can, ensure you minimise power used at 240 and increase capacity.
Lots of great stuff on here to guide you.

Tony

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not much you can do about solar other than a portable folding panel, but another battery or two can go anywhere if the inter-connecting wires are big enough.
Under bench seating or maybe under wardrobe floor if it's a false bottom.
But....no matter how many batteries you have you still need a way to charge them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back