NC 500 Scotland best time to go? (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Thinking of doing the above (and an organised tour of Orknies ) .What is best time to go and are there any campsites as SWMBO is coming with me?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thinking of doing the above (and an organised tour of Orknies ) .What is best time to go and are there any campsites as SWMBO is coming with me?
Plenty of campsites. We used C&MC Brora and Dunnet Head plus independent site at John o’Groats and a nice one somewhere near Loch Ness where we had our own toilet/shower cabin on pitch.
There is another C&MC site in a lovely location just outside Oban but we wildcamped.
We went first two weeks in September and only had a midge attack once at a CL in shores of Loch Eribol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
When it’s slashing it down, there won’t be as many bikes to battle with:whistle:

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Between April and early May or mid September to October. You will avoid the crowds and the pesky midges .

Whenever you go it is busier than 5 years ago so be cautious on single track roads.

Lots of campsites all around the NC 500 but some may be closed early or late season. Considerate off site camping is allowed in Scotland. Pubs and Inns usually allow you to use their car parks if you support the restaurant

Try doing the route anti - clockwise, just as good and you will miss the traffic doing the route the popular clockwise direction.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
We went last April and enjoyed great weather and the route was fairly quite. There are campsites and a few MH stopovers cropping up however part of the enjoyment of the NC 500 is the beautiful views you get by responsible wild camping!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I've taken the van to Scotland 3 times and always in May - weather is good then! We did the NC500 the 'wrong' way round, I think that way the roads are quieter.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We're planning on doing it in September so I shall keep an eye on this thread for more info and advice.

MO2HOM

Free Member
Feb 14, 2016
South West
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
5 years
On our way home from doing the NC500 plus the Isle of Skye in our 7m motorhome. We went anti-clockwise. We’ve had the most amazing time, all weathers thrown at us every day. The scenery and wildlife is superb. For us this was the time to go, whilst quiet and few others on the road. Have taken two weeks to do it, so very relaxed. Finding a good choice of campsites that are open at this time of year was more challenging. Plenty of wild spots if you want them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back