Nationwide Fee Increase (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
A fiver a month extra...on the back of the insurance change recently makes this look less attractive. Which is a real shame.

Screenshot_20240905-113008_Email.jpg

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Had to happen. So much gain for the fee charged. Once a year they actually give you £100 each dividend as well. This will almost pay the new charge of £18/pm. We just paid the additional travel fee of £90 for the over 70 supplements, Having looked up the cost of 1 year’s travel insurance recently it’s eye watering.
Still great value I say.
Phil

Jan 22, 2024
Wingerworth, Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
I'm a newbie, but owned a caravan about 30 years ago.
A fiver a month extra...on the back of the insurance change recently makes this look less attractive. Which is a real shame.

View attachment 944790
I reckon its still good value. Just the travel insurance and breakdown recovery costs a fortune now - particularly as you get older :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well done - I have not seen this elsewhere. The trouble is the unbundling that closing the account would involve.

First point car cheap breakdown cover!
I paid £18 for a year's breakdown for our car, full cover and then got £5 back from Quidco too. I'm with rescuemycar.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've been relying on it for maybe 10 years and it's still a good deal, plus the convenience of non expiring European breakdown cover (with just one set of T&C's to read) for my 5 vehicles (spanning their dates of manufacture from 1946 to 2014) from one provider instead of the faff with separate annual policies which come up for renewal at different times of the year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Just for clarity. I received an email from Nationwide this morning stating the increase so anyone who is registered with them and has this account will get one or a letter.
The account may still be good value for money, if it suits you / me / anyone else. The critical part will be the travel insurance for us at renewal as like many others we have multiple trips away each year and that looks like it will cost a significant amount going forward. Phones are covered on house policy, we use a Nationwide CC fee free for all transactions abroad so the only real appeal for us is the multiple breakdown cover and travel insurance at sensible cost. We will see how it stacks up next year when travel insurance renews.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We're going to do the sums as the phone cover doesn't really make any difference we only have dead cheap ones anyway the travel we can probably get fairly cheap and probably won't bother with breakdown cover and just pay if we need it

Dec 2, 2009
sussex
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
17 yrs
Just for clarity. I received an email from Nationwide this morning stating the increase so anyone who is registered with them and has this account will get one or a letter.
The account may still be good value for money, if it suits you / me / anyone else. The critical part will be the travel insurance for us at renewal as like many others we have multiple trips away each year and that looks like it will cost a significant amount going forward. Phones are covered on house policy, we use a Nationwide CC fee free for all transactions abroad so the only real appeal for us is the multiple breakdown cover and travel insurance at sensible cost. We will see how it stacks up next year when travel insurance renews.
Just come off the phone to aviva, one 89 day spain trip...over £400, and that only covers the one trip, we didn't progress to what the second trip was going to cost.
Last year was a hundred and something for the trip extension, which covered twelve months, so both our near 90 day trips.
Time to look elsewhere, as it no longer suits our situation.

Edited to add, that figure didn't include health insurance for me, as I've a list of issues as long as your arm, so I take my chances with my ehic, my wife has no health problems.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
Make sure you let Nationwide know the reason before you leave.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2013
Leics.
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Since 2000
We changed our Flexplus account to a Flex account yesterday on the app. It takes a couple of minutes to do and your account number and sort code are unchanged, so Direct Debits etc are still taken.

Last year's cost was around £500 for 3 trips (inc. medical issues for us both), just had a quote for £800 for one trip.
We already have breakdown cover for our car and motorhome covered via warranties so it was pointless paying a monthly fee.

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
Don't suppose they mention how to cancel (as a result of the 38% increase) and whether they will refund any of the pre-paid "add-ons" for medical/extended trip cover which would be valid beyond the 1/12/24 change?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Can I ask who with please?
Through go compare ( the wife did it) she thinks it was with admiral. We haven't taken it out yet we don't need it atm. Strangely enough we're in the process of claiming on the nationwide travel insurance at the moment!

OP
OP
V
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Just come off the phone to aviva, one 89 day spain trip...over £400, and that only covers the one trip, we didn't progress to what the second trip was going to cost.
Last year was a hundred and something for the trip extension, which covered twelve months, so both our near 90 day trips.
Time to look elsewhere, as it no longer suits our situation.

Edited to add, that figure didn't include health insurance for me, as I've a list of issues as long as your arm, so I take my chances with my ehic, my wife has no health problems.
Crikey moses! That is silly money for sure.. I think we paid £120 extra for multiple trips of 60 days this year and we both have a few health issues. So far 3 months in Europe and just heading out for another 3-4 weeks to get our monies worth out of it. Not looking forward to the renewal next March, I think a few of us maybe be changing from them going forward.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Can I ask who with please?
Through compare the markey
We changed our Flexplus account to a Flex account yesterday on the app. It takes a couple of minutes to do and your account number and sort code are unchanged, so Direct Debits etc are still taken.

Last year's cost was around £500 for 3 trips (inc. medical issues for us both), just had a quote for £800 for one trip.
We already have breakdown cover for our car and motorhome covered via warranties so it was pointless paying a monthly fee.
I suspect that's what we'll do we swapped the other way to get the included insurance before!

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I had an email this week from LTSB promoting their travel package (health, loss of phone etc) but it only covered breakdown in the U.K. which wasn't any good for me as I tour only abroad.

Last edited:

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Aviva wanted over £900 for a 90 day extension plus £180 underwriting for the annual policy. Plus they say you are not covered unless you have a return booking from the start.
On our recent breakdown the AA took 7 hours to get to us, the guy said he wasn’t busy so the AA probably forgot about us. Will probably look around next year.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I remember when it first started, you got interest on the balance so it paid for half the £10 fee anyway 😑

I've got 1 van, 2 cars and 3 motorcycles at my address so the breakdown cover is worth it still, then the free debit card withdrawals add up. I'm not happy, but will continue with it for now ☹️

OP
OP
V
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Aviva wanted over £900 for a 90 day extension plus £180 underwriting for the annual policy. Plus they say you are not covered unless you have a return booking from the start.
On our recent breakdown the AA took 7 hours to get to us, the guy said he wasn’t busy so the AA probably forgot about us. Will probably look around next year.
Crikey! Well that is us done then as we never book the return trip till we have had enough.

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Just got a quote for European travel annual policy at £61 a year including the wifes BP medication. Nationwide charge us roughly an extra £50 a year for that alone. I think we're going to be switching
Could you tell me who with please?
Tia Alex

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Crikey! Well that is us done then as we never book the return trip till we have had enough.
On our extended holiday this year, we booked a return trip (Le Shuttle) 90 days from the start, and just changed it when we were ready to come home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back