Jaymo5

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
I'm a bewbie
I am looking to buy my first motorhome . I have done a bit of research and realise I cannot get all that I want . It looks as though ALDE heating is the best however how effective is TRUMA 4 heating ie hot air for a van approx. 7m long .

Cheers

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Depends on which Truma system is installed in a 7 meter van. I have a 7.14 meter van which has a Truma Combi 4 which is 4 KW and its not up to the job when the temperature drops below freezing. I have had it checked out so its not a mechanical problem. Truma said for a van of 7 meters it should have a combi 6 KW system. I have solved the problem by fitting one of these Chinese Eberspacher type diesel heaters which heats the van up pretty quickly. Only does heating, not hot water.
If the 7 meter van has a 6kw heater then I think it should be fine.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We've had 2 vans with Truma, 2nd one was 7.5 metres long, and 2 vans with Alde. Would never go back to Truma. The plus of Truma is it heats up quickly, but also loses heat quickly and you get cold spots. However with Alde, although it takes a while to heat up the whole van is lovely and toasty and it retains the temperature for a good while even when the heating has been turned off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
We have truma 6 in a aclass 7.5 metres long.it gets very warm quickly we just have a couple of cold spots at the front.truma is good on gas crap on leccy.our new van comes in about 3 wks that has alde so wait and see which is the best.i think alde depends on how its installed if not enough radiators or not in right places it might struggle also truma boiler should be in the lounge area of a van with alde it dosnt matter.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
If you can get a van with the Alde heat exchanger fitted you will have the best of everything.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Had a Truma 6 , very noisy when in full gas useless on leccy just Luke a big fan heater when you turn it off the cold returns quickly, now on Alde with heat exchanger, excellent and it works just as well on leccy.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
When choosing a van I think the type of heating it has comes much lower down the priorities. By the time you’ve selected the base vehicle, layout and payload you’re unlikely to have any choice about the type of heating. The better the insulation, the less power you’ll need to keep it warm but 4kW is clearly going to be less effective than a 6kW one. Both blown air and wet systems have their own special advantages but the differences in terms of heating ability are small. Get some thermal screen covers if you plan use it in extreme cold. Truma weigh less, so tend to be all you can get in 3.5t vehicles. Alde tends to be used in heavier (and more expensive) vans. Both types can be installed poorly, so that heat is not distributed evenly, and that is something you tend not to discover until after the event.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have 6Kw Truma in our 7.6m MH and its absolutely fine, heats up quick and no cold spots (A class). Good on gas but rubbish on electric (only 1800w) though in Spring and Autumn if not too cold the electric will keep things warm after using gas for the initial heat up. Fairly noisy when putting out a lot of heat.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't think the Combi 4 will be powerful enough in a 7 m van. We have had 6.9, 7.2 & 7.5m vans all with Combi 6 they have been fine.

OP
OP
J

Jaymo5

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
I'm a bewbie
Response has been great and very helpful . First time using the forum and will certainly use it again . Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond , much appreciated

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have Truma 6 in our 6.5m a class Hymer which heats double floor compartments and also vents into windscreen and side window areas so no cold spots, very efficient and quiet.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
A question often asked.

I have had both and would have blown air. Unless I was going to use waste engine heat and fit a heat exchanger. This could then be linked to a Diesel heater giving you four heat source options on the ALDE. Gas, Electric, Diesel, Engine Heat or a combination.

By that I mean, for boost, you could have the ALDE using Gas and the Diesel Heater boosting via the heat exchanger.

I have seen a Frankia with Both ALDE and Truma Blown fitted!

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Ours has diesel heating.
Heats the van , saves the gas ( can only carry one bottle).
Just posted to make sure you’re aware of it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've had 2 vans with alde and 5 vans with truma.

I have to say I prefer the truma , less hassle and I found it warmer. The hymer I have now with truma is much warmer than the Frankia I had with alde. Less cold spots and better water heater too.

Opinions vary though many prefer alde

But I think I'd avoid a van that had it again

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Truma 6 heater here in a 7.1 metre mh, heats up the van good (on gas) and the noise is dependent on how cold the mh is ( the colder it is the faster the fan blows), also every mh is different in the way they are insulated, so some will heat up easier than others and also hold the heat better than others.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back