MOT issue on possible new van (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 3, 2024
Greater Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I found out today you can check any vehicles MOT history and and faults/ recalls it failed on.......

So I just checked one that I'm quite keen on, and it had an MOT done in January when it was clocked at 18k miles and then when it had done another 60 miles, it had another one done 4 months later in April.

Should I smell a rat?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
More likely someone trying to sell with a new MoT, or a potential buyer insisted on it.
You can see if any advisories on the MoT history.
(Lights, tyres, suspension, etc don't matter, as they are easily fixable, however rust, emissions etc are potentially expensive to fix)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2024
In a tin box
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
As others have said, there are potentially legitimate reasons for this.

I'd ask the seller the question either face to face or on a phone call and see if the reply rings true. Email would give a dodgy person time to think of an answer...

If you still have doubts then I would check the VIN on the V5 against the vehicle and also do a check for outstanding finance.

If it still doesn't feel right then just walk away.

From what you've said though there isn't anything that would immediately ring alarm bells for me. Do your due diligence and you should be fine.

It's the "it only needs a new tyre to get through MOT" sellers that I walk away from. If that's really all it needs, then why haven't you done the work and sold the vehicle with a full MOT on it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Although it’s probably as above, I’d check it doesn’t have a major issue not covered on MOT, the dealer may have tested it for sale then buyer withdrew, make sure you check the hab area too as this can be more costly than an mot failure

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back