Most Surprising Upgrade? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
What upgrade have you carried out on your Motorhome that surprised you how pleased you were afterwards?

I have two that come to mind...
1) I fitted a steering column mounted remote control for the radio. Only cost around £15 but every time I drive the Motorhome I use it and find it so handy and far more useful than I expected :) I'd get another one in a flash if I changed motorhome or it broke.

2) Snipe auto-seeking Satellite System. Never thought about getting a TV Satellite Dish, but had a chance to buy a used one for around £70 and it took only the space of an existing 30W Solar Panel which I could relocate elsewhere on the roof, so decided to give it a go.

Snipe System (bottom right corner)
by David, on Flickr
Needed a small repair and some cable, so maybe cost about £120 in total including stuff like Sikaflex.
I just love how I can press a button and leave it to find the Satellite instead of twisting the TV Aerial around watching for the LED to go from amber to green-ish. Not sure if I would pay the cost of a new Snipe, but for what it cost me, worth every penny and more.

Oct 14, 2011
Chichester,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Wildax Hi Top
Exp
Since 2002
I have a Snipe2 satellite dish which just fits neatly on the front of my 5m camper.I had an Avtex tv connected to it which was OK. A couple of weeks ago I decided to buy a Cello smart tv. It is brilliant.
I couldn’t get it to lock on at first as there was a software update for the Snipe.As a solo traveller I am looking forward to using it in France next week as the weather forecast looks dismal.

Oct 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
What upgrade have you carried out on your Motorhome that surprised you how pleased you were afterwards?
Upgraded the manual gearbox to the Fiat 9 speed automatic :giggle::giggle::giggle:

It did involve a change of motor home at the same time, but everything else on this motohome is almost exacly the same as the previous one. So despite a number of "glitches" along the way, the only thing we notice now is this superb 9 speed automatic. All we have to do is steer.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Small table.

VW camper van, came with a table big enough for 4, pain in the neck to use and work around.

The current table was supposed to be a part of the double bed, but after putting an ebay transfer map of the UK and covering in protective film, and a new mount for the existing pole, it's perfect. Just wide enough for a plate, and long enough to fit two plates and drinks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010

I have two that come to mind...
1) I fitted a steering column mounted remote control for the radio. Only cost around £15 but every time I drive the Motorhome I use it and find it so handy and far more useful than I expected :) I'd get another one in a flash if I changed motorhome or it broke.
Hoovie - I'm interested in what steering wheel remote system you use?
I've fitted an old Sony joystick control that kinda works with my new Pioneer head unit but always looking for a better solution 👍

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ecoflow delta 2.
Only just put this in after a lot of arguments on here about if they are any good.
It's a complete game changer, only used it for three days yet but done everything but the water heater with it, it would also run the water heater but thought that's a bit much to expect of it.
Pulled on to this site last night with electricity included and charged it back up in less than an hour.

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Marquart Stoßdämpfer - Made more difference to the ride/handling than I expected on our Iveco, coupled with setting the torsion bars correctly and using the correct tyre and airbag pressure, these made the most difference.....

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Marquart Stoßdämpfer - Made more difference to the ride/handling than I expected on our Iveco, coupled with setting the torsion bars correctly and using the correct tyre and airbag pressure, these made the most difference.....
I fitted them a couple of years ago and yes a game changer also front air pressure 5 bar 65 psi tyre pressure 🙂

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
AL-KO levellers, use them every time we stop, for herself and the wheelchair it is a game changer when moving around in the MH, I thought they would be useful but the difference in comfort for herself is poles apart from previously (and makes the €7k well worth the investment).

And the Maxx Air fan in the bathroom is the icing on the cake.........

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I fitted a energy monitor on the inverter output cable, it tell me how many watts we are using, one display inside and one outside where I use the induction hob, really pleased with how it works.

IMG_3054.jpeg

As you can see everything is switched off at the moment 😏

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can you show a link to the type you used please.
I used a Peglar PEG402, I used that one as I've used them before, I picked up a new one cheap that a plumber was selling off on ebay.
You can get them for around £30 Screwfix want silly money for them so shop around.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
First I've heard of one fitted as standard on a van.

I've always called it the mixer valve, it governs the mix of hot and cold water to the hot taps/shower.
Is yours different? 🤔

If I knew how to add photo I would.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoovie
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I have a Snipe2 satellite dish which just fits neatly on the front of my 5m camper.I had an Avtex tv connected to it which was OK. A couple of weeks ago I decided to buy a Cello smart tv. It is brilliant.
I couldn’t get it to lock on at first as there was a software update for the Snipe.As a solo traveller I am looking forward to using it in France next week as the weather forecast looks dismal.
My Snipe 2 is connected to an Avtex TV which I like. What made you change to the Cello? Was it the SMART feature of the Cello?

OP
OP
Hoovie
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Maxx air fan… game changer when warm….😎
Oh yes.... I loved my MaxxAir Fan with the auto-speed changing on temps. Fitted one in the last camper and was brilliant. Can't fit one on the Motorhome due to the rear vent cover overhang :( Such a shame they don't have an alternative cover option without that. (or maybe they do??).

OP
OP
Hoovie
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
We also have one of those fitted👍🏻

Worth every penny in my opinion as we can shower without the water becoming too hot😀
The only downside is you can't usually have it REALLY hot :) (I love near-scalding showers, OH wants them near freezing)

OP
OP
Hoovie
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Hoovie - I'm interested in what steering wheel remote system you use?
I've fitted an old Sony joystick control that kinda works with my new Pioneer head unit but always looking for a better solution 👍
This is the one I bought - Remote Controller - to go with an Andriod Head Set upgrade.

WheelRemote
by David, on Flickr

It is pretty basic in terms of functions compared to factory steering wheel controls (Volume up/down; Mute; FF/REV; Prev/Next) but does what you need really.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back