More greeting faced locals complaining about motorhomes (43 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
The latest whining from the nc500 lot is now about people putting little padlocks with their names on it on a bridge in Inverness. I think I've seen this in nearly every country I've visited to date. It's been happening for years . Now I know the Highlands is a little more remote ( Inverness isn't) but I refuse to believe that the locals have never encountered this trend by tourists before. Personally I think it's quite cute and does no harm whatsoever. One local numpty was quoted saying he was concerned about the weight and the bridge could collapse.

I swear the Scottish sun newspaper is deliberately trying to wind folk up with their daily nc500 stories.
The old bridge at matlock was damaged by the weight of the padlocks so people were asked to stop doing it. It started over 100 years ago and they are known as love locks ..together forever or everlasting love.
I often wonder how many lasted the course ?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The old bridge at matlock was damaged by the weight of the padlocks so people were asked to stop doing it. It started over 100 years ago and they are known as love locks ..together forever or everlasting love.
Likely excuse lol.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Maybe it was caused by overweight motorhomes or some were attaching millstones?

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Northernraider I am guessing that Niddie is not affluent or salubrious!
Does that affect our safety in the Park and Ride overnight?

Haven is a great suggestion, but full when we want to be there.

We will visit Arthur's seat and book a free guided tour.

Probably will book Camc, as they have offered a free night, via email, and we can do some laundry.

I also want to visit the Kelpies and Fslkirk wheel.

We have heard St Andrews is interesting, I am only aware of the golfing connection.

We have about 3 weeks to explore, before heading towards Liverpool.

I believe Dumfries and Galloway is a great option. Any recommendations?

We like scenery, good pubs with food, and history. Walking is also good, depending on weather.

Thanks

Karen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
We stayed here at Queensferry nice and quiet restaurant's and pubs local nice fish and chips the police station behind you and drive by at night. The bridges are lit up at night.
1000030008.jpg

1000030009.jpg

1000030010.jpg

1000030011.jpg

1000030012.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I always wondered why people did that.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Probably will book Camc, as they have offered a free night, via email, and we can do some laundry.

We have heard St Andrews is interesting, I am only aware of the golfing connection.

We like scenery, good pubs with food, and history. Walking is also good, depending on weather.

Thanks

Karen
You should be fine in the park n ride

Falkirk wheel and kelpie definitely worth a visit , nice beach at St Andrews but wild parking not so easy .. one of my favourite haunts is not far from there at Tayport, if you like walking there's a lovely coastal walk from there all the way round the bay to the beach at St Andrews.

The Galloway forest is lovely in dumfries and Galloway and you can wildcamp at the end of the forest near Bruce's stone which is also worth a visit .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We stayed here at Queensferry nice and quiet restaurant's and pubs local nice fish and chips the police station behind you and drive by at night. The bridges are lit up at night.
View attachment 956995
View attachment 956996

View attachment 956997

View attachment 956998

View attachment 956999

There's a few nice stops at South Queensferry a nice one right under the rail bridge if you drive along past the lifeboat station and turn down to left ...dirt track with laybye .

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base

Thanks

Karen
Park and ride is great, usually a few vans there, cheap as chips and 10 minute train ride in to city centre. Can pay at the machine or use the ringo app. If you are arriving late you would be able to grab a spot at Musselburghs Fisherrow harbour which is a lot more scenic than the P&R. No trains but plenty buses will take you in to town.

Oct 22, 2023
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F60
Exp
Newbies as of June 2024
I'll also report back at the end of September.
We got home yesterday after a fantastic 3 weeks touring Scotland including the NC500.

We didn't encounter any animosity towards us at all, everyone was happy to chat or just say hello. We didn't witness any poor practice from fellow motorhomers.

Everywhere we went was spotlessly clean with one exception, the Isle of Skye. The verges were littered with rubbish. I toyed with the idea of picking some up, but where the heck was I going to store a 10L ad-blue container 🤷‍♀️ so I didn't bother. Skye also had way more cars than motorhomes on it, most of whom are unable to thank for being allowed to pass. (W*nkers or thankers we referred to them as).
and their roads are a disgrace. Poteous Holeous!

On one section of the NC500 where there are passing places, some of the 'passing place' signs were missing off the poles. I counted 8 vehicles parked by a pole... all cars not a single MH or PVC. It was clearly still a passing place.

I've seen a photo and story posted on here previously about cheeky motorhomers hanging their washing on a line. I'd put money on this being a photo from Loch Carron, where the locals opposite the Loch, have no back garden and there were loads of lines full of their washing hanging up on the beach of the Loch. (Forgot to take a photo).

So, in a nutshell, we'd go back again in a heartbeat, we had a great time, with fabulous weather. If you're thinking of going, just go, and make your own mind up.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Actually, I think the bridge in question is at Bakewell in Derbyshire.
We were there last week and they are now removing said bridge as it is in danger of collapse from thousands of locks, mainly made of a brass alloy.
People have started already to put locks on another nearby bridge, and a local shoe repair shop in the high street , which supplies locks and also does engraving, is rubbing his hands in eager anticipation of a trade upturn.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
We got home yesterday after a fantastic 3 weeks touring Scotland including the NC500.

We didn't encounter any animosity towards us at all, everyone was happy to chat or just say hello. We didn't witness any poor practice from fellow motorhomers.

Everywhere we went was spotlessly clean with one exception, the Isle of Skye. The verges were littered with rubbish. I toyed with the idea of picking some up, but where the heck was I going to store a 10L ad-blue container 🤷‍♀️ so I didn't bother. Skye also had way more cars than motorhomes on it, most of whom are unable to thank for being allowed to pass. (W*nkers or thankers we referred to them as).
and their roads are a disgrace. Poteous Holeous!

On one section of the NC500 where there are passing places, some of the 'passing place' signs were missing off the poles. I counted 8 vehicles parked by a pole... all cars not a single MH or PVC. It was clearly still a passing place.

I've seen a photo and story posted on here previously about cheeky motorhomers hanging their washing on a line. I'd put money on this being a photo from Loch Carron, where the locals opposite the Loch, have no back garden and there were loads of lines full of their washing hanging up on the beach of the Loch. (Forgot to take a photo).

So, in a nutshell, we'd go back again in a heartbeat, we had a great time, with fabulous weather. If you're thinking of going, just go, and make your own mind up.
You post has prompted me to respond as I said I would to this thread after our trip last month.
To be fair, you have summed our experience up too. We had to cut our trip short due to injury, so did not do Skye. What we did experience en-route was fine and the the scenery is truly stunning in parts.
Driving was okay. The HGV's we encountered coming towards us tended to take no prisoners. Other than that, the only grief was with a few inconsiderate cars.
We wouldn't attempt the full route again, but we will be going back on the west coast and Isles along with Dunfries and Galloway.
Safe and happy travels all.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
The number 30 bus through Niddrie AKA the Beruit bus. We lived in Musselburgh and hated when my daughters used it after a night out.
Yes they had a few problems with buses windows getting bricked a while back .
Same kids doing it from exactly the same spot . Police apparently had a problem solving the crime !
But Niddrie is changing for the better

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Actually, I think the bridge in question is at Bakewell in Derbyshire.
We were there last week and they are now removing said bridge as it is in danger of collapse from thousands of locks, mainly made of a brass alloy.
People have started already to put locks on another nearby bridge, and a local shoe repair shop in the high street , which supplies locks and also does engraving, is rubbing his hands in eager anticipation of a trade upturn.
Yes your correct it's the bridge leading from the car park.into Town

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Is it ignorance, or simply they do not care. We arrived into Hawick to spend the night. The carpark allows Motorhome parking for free and has water and waste service, again all for free.

Tonight there are 14 motorhomes using the carpark. The guy in the Motorhome next to us has just lit a fire on the grass area at the rear of his van and is now sitting toasting marshmallows. This is in clear view of all the cars passing, it’s only a small strip of grass next to the waste service point and the road.

Behaviour like this is exactly what gets the service withdrawn, look at Scarborough as a classic example. I shall be telling him tomorrow before we depart that his behaviour is unacceptable and could be detrimental to the provision of the park up. People never cease to shock me.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Is it ignorance, or simply they do not care. We arrived into Hawick to spend the night. The carpark allows Motorhome parking for free and has water and waste service, again all for free.

Tonight there are 14 motorhomes using the carpark. The guy in the Motorhome next to us has just lit a fire on the grass area at the rear of his van and is now sitting toasting marshmallows. This is in clear view of all the cars passing, it’s only a small strip of grass next to the waste service point and the road.

Behaviour like this is exactly what gets the service withdrawn, look at Scarborough as a classic example. I shall be telling him tomorrow before we depart that his behaviour is unacceptable and could be detrimental to the provision of the park up. People never cease to shock me.
I'd put a bucket of water over his fire just now.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002

Toasting marshmallows?! How quaint. Obviously seen too many fu&&££g influencers posing by fire pits. Hope they burned his mouth.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back