May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Have just noticed that the Mont Blanc Tunnel is closing 04/09/23 until 18/12/23
They had a massive derailment that tore up a long section of track and foundation, it´s a mega job just to get the railway trucks back out and then the track has to be replaced.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Hurrying to get home from Rome came through the Mont Blanc tunnel.

Tag axle, 5400kg 3040mm high.

Pulled up to kiosk, 'lady' looks out of window and looks up at height. I signalled 3 metres.
'Wait' she snarled, got off her arse and appeared with a t shaped measuring stick. Put it at side of door and could turn it 360 therefore less than the height. Not happy with that she then went to extreme read end and repeated. The extra 40mm came into play and she was unable to turn the T at top of stick.
Returned to her desk and keyed into her keyboard.
€396 appears on the display 😳
I was unable to communicate with her and paid the charge.

On checking the website later that is the same charge as for a multi axle lorry or an artic (I think).

While the charge may have been correct to the cost on the website its pretty extreme IMO. I'm sure others will say the limit has to be drawn somewhere but it's a bitter pill to swallow.

I could bring a 7500kg, 9.0 metre, 3300 high Concorde through for half that cost.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Hurrying to get home from Rome came through the Mont Blanc tunnel.

Tag axle, 5400kg 3040mm high.

Pulled up to kiosk, 'lady' looks out of window and looks up at height. I signalled 3 metres.
'Wait' she snarled, got off her arse and appeared with a t shaped measuring stick. Put it at side of door and could turn it 360 therefore less than the height. Not happy with that she then went to extreme read end and repeated. The extra 40mm came into play and she was unable to turn the T at top of stick.
Returned to her desk and keyed into her keyboard.
€396 appears on the display 😳
I was unable to communicate with her and paid the charge.

On checking the website later that is the same charge as for a multi axle lorry or an artic (I think).

While the charge may have been correct to the cost on the website its pretty extreme IMO. I'm sure others will say the limit has to be drawn somewhere but it's a bitter pill to swallow.

I could bring a 7500kg, 9.0 metre, 3300 high Concorde through for half that cost.
Ouch!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Why were you charged more than a 3.3m MH?

Or is that your point you were over charged possibly maliciously as she thought you were cheating them , ridiculous increase in cost for 2”

We took a Landcruiser through in the noughties, staying in Chamonix, family fancied Italian pizza for tea 🤔🙄 added €130 to the evening out for the return trip

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Why were you charged more than a 3.3m MH?

Or is that your point you were over charged possibly maliciously as she thought you were cheating them , ridiculous increase in cost for 2”

We took a Landcruiser through in the noughties, staying in Chamonix, family fancied Italian pizza for tea 🤔🙄 added €130 to the evening out for the return trip
Because the Concorde would be 2 axles not 3

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back