Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
Since 2002
Whist there may be are deterrents that help keep mice at bay, such as strong smells, lights, and ensuring there is no food.
Ultimately there are only two solutions:

Traps and poison.
I would suggest traps are the preferred option in a MH. After eating poison mice have a habit of crawling somewhere inaccessible before dying and they they smell abominably for a surprisingly long time.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My brother-in-law had trouble with mice in his car. An old country gent told him to draw an "exclusion zone" around his car parking place 4 inches wide in solid white. No more trouble with mice, it may be co-incidence but when the line was bridged the mice returned.

He also now has a white line all round his house and no mice since.

Perhaps the mice feel exposed on the white.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I would suggest traps are the preferred option in a MH. After eating poison mice have a habit of crawling somewhere inaccessible before dying and they they smell abominably for a surprisingly long time.
The problem I have found with traps is that the smell of the bait brings them in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2020
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696F
Exp
4yrs
I had an issue and tried assorts..... ( not liquorice ), including traps/ sonic / sticky mats, until someone told me to buy a spray of ' Fox pee'.... I spray around the van/ wheels/ engine space and have not had a problem since....... got it on e-bay... ( not sure how they collect it )

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The problem I have found with traps is that the smell of the bait brings them in.
There is some thing to that. BUT. there are only so many in the immediate area and you want to get as many as possible as quickly as possible.
Any other method leaves them to breed and be a nuisance in future. Trapping inside causes an initial rush and I get 5-8 in each batch here.
Then for the next week I get 1 every day or every other day. Then it goes quiet for a few weeks usually 5-6 which is I believe their breeding cycle + weening cycle period.
If you catch them pretty quickly then they can't breed again. Mice won't outbreed their food supply so proving you and your neighbours keep the bins sorted you shouldn't see too many.

My view is the benefits of attracting them in is more than offset by how quickly you can then kill them and prevent breeding.

I haven't had any in 6 days now. This is after catching 20 in the first week. The first week of each year after the first cold snap is when I get a big batch. Then it settles down to the 5-8 over a few days then a gap of 5-6 weeks then repeat.

Just a bit of background. I am surrounded by fields and there are only 3 buildings here for them to seek shelter in. My building has a hole next to the door which I am waiting for the landlord to repair so they have ready access to my unit.
Next doors are not much better with plenty of holes for access. With my trapping they tend not to see any mice though.

In a domestic situation I would be looking to block access as well.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back