MH selection advice, headroom for tall owner. (6 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
upgrading from T5
Hi,

New member checking in! Glad to be here.

Looking for a little advice/recommendations. (Standard first post I guess!)

We are tall, partner is 6” and I’m 6’6” (199cm)

Looking to upgrade from a trusty T5 pop top I built 14 years ago to something a bit bigger and more suitable for family use. We have a 2yr old and occasionally might take a guest.

Had a look round some showrooms and have been reading on here for a while.

This is where we are, priorities include standing height and bed size of course, a shower I can actually fit in and use would be great too! ability to use van year round and possibly into the alps so somewhat winterised. 4-6 berth ideally.

Layouts we liked are large garage with transverse (if big enough) fixed bed or possibly the singles that can make up to a bigger double.

We viewed a
Carado A464 (2019)
and an
Autotrail Imala 736G (new)
both had great layout, Autotrail seemed basic, Carado tbh felt a little dated but layouts suited us well.

I saw a Adria Coral XL 670 Plus
which had same layout and looked a lot nicer outside and inside.

Checked out online the 600/670 (both look really good). Model no longer available in the UK though so might struggle finding many used ones.

I have also heeded advice to look at slightly older A-Class units, seen a few Hymer Exsis which seem great but head height is 199cm and beds are too small at only 190cm

The Carado I-Series look good, 210cm headroom and beds that are bigger than the Hymers.

Of course the coachbuilt vans all seem to have bigger beds and clearly have great headroom.

I am keen on A-Class but would need to be a bit older as budget won’t stretch tooooo far.

Ideally I’m trying to keep the purchase at £60k

I’m looking for any pointers or recommendations on other vans that may suit, hoping my 2nd van will be the right one so I don’t need to get the standard 3rd van before I get it right :)

C1 is a current work in progress so open to over 3500kg too.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
My old dethleffs esprit we traded in at chelstons has twin singles but the one on drivers side is 2.1m long, I'm 6'6" so fitted well, new carthago is 2m but I have to hang feet out to stretch out. Dethleffs also nice and high inside.

Upvote 0
May 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yosemite
Exp
Since summer 2019
Hi,

Looking to upgrade from a trusty T5 pop top I built 14 years ago to something a bit bigger and more suitable for family use. We have a 2yr old and occasionally might take a guest.

This is where we are, priorities include standing height and bed size of course, a shower I can actually fit in and use would be great too! ability to use van year round and possibly into the alps so somewhat winterised. 4-6 berth ideally.

Layouts we liked are large garage with transverse (if big enough) fixed bed or possibly the singles that can make up to a bigger double.

We viewed a
Carado A464 (2019)
and an
both had great layout, Autotrail seemed basic, Carado tbh felt a little dated but layouts suited us well.

Checked out online the 600/670 (both look really good). Model no longer available in the UK though so might struggle finding many used ones.

I have also heeded advice to look at slightly older A-Class units, seen a few Hymer Exsis which seem great but head height is 199cm and beds are too small at only 190cm

The Carado I-Series look good, 210cm headroom and beds that are bigger than the Hymers.

Of course the coachbuilt vans all seem to have bigger beds and clearly have great headroom.

I am keen on A-Class but would need to be a bit older as budget won’t stretch tooooo far.

I’m looking for any pointers or recommendations on other vans that may suit, hoping my 2nd van will be the right one so I don’t need to get the standard 3rd van before I get it right :)

Hi,

We viewed a
Carado A464 (2019)
and an

Just a word of advice based on my 6’ 3” experience. When checking internal height, take particular notice of anything fitted to the ceiling. When we were looking around we found a few models with great head height, but ruined by the central positioning of lights which robbed an inch or two. Just enough for me to sometimes hit my head when walking around. Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
We also looked for bed length and inside height but wanted a smaller vehicle. Our compromise is a rear lounge where we have to make up the bed every night and a small washroom.
I have fixed the shower problem by showering sitting on the loo, feels odd but works! That way I can at least put the shower head over my own head which I cannot do when standing up and I can reach my feet which again is impossible from standing.
Compromises have to be made as you no doubt found in your first van. I would prioritise moving around inside and bed /lounging comfort.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
With a budget of £60000, have you thought about buying a S/H fridge truck and doing a home conversion?
You would already have the insulation for your Alpine trips and you could convert the rest to your own requirements at the speed you can afford.

Welcome and Good Luck with the C1. 👍

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 66-2
Exp
Since Sept ‘21.
Hi. Not A-class, but Bailey used to use a low chassis, and that gave really good headroom, especially in the kitchen area and rear bathroom. I’m 1.95 m, and we have a 2018 Advance 66-2, and the headroom is far better than most. Ours is a 2-berth, but there are bigger ones in the Advance and Autograph ranges. They switched to a Ford chassis a couple of years ago, and they’re nowhere near as good. The transverse bed is massive, and as singles I think they’re 190, with the option to stretch onto the cab seats, which can be angled to be a continuation of the bed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm 6" 4 , I found the frankia and euramobil vans I had to have the best headroom and the longest beds .

Nice frankia well Specced with lots of extras on ebay just now.

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I would forget a 3500 kg A class take a look at Carthargo S plus plenty of head room I personally prefer the 60c chassis ie 6.7t for a better drive but some people love the 50c Armytwowheels has an older one for sale
Hey Steve. Thanks for mentioning our van. We have taken a deposit on it now. Just sorting out a mutually convenient collection date.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Spacetourer
Jun 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
upgrading from T5
With a budget of £60000, have you thought about buying a S/H fridge truck and doing a home conversion?
You would already have the insulation for your Alpine trips and you could convert the rest to your own requirements at the speed you can afford.

Welcome and Good Luck with the C1. 👍
Great suggestion, I would love to build one, I fancy something ready to go with just a few light tweaks to make it our own this time round though. I have enough projects in the garage already that need finishing :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Spacetourer
Jun 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
upgrading from T5
I'm 6" 4 , I found the frankia and euramobil vans I had to have the best headroom and the longest beds .

Nice frankia well Specced with lots of extras on ebay just now.

Wow, that Frankia is something else! what a machine. Super luxury and insane spec.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Spacetourer
Jun 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
upgrading from T5
Hi. Not A-class, but Bailey used to use a low chassis, and that gave really good headroom, especially in the kitchen area and rear bathroom. I’m 1.95 m, and we have a 2018 Advance 66-2, and the headroom is far better than most. Ours is a 2-berth, but there are bigger ones in the Advance and Autograph ranges. They switched to a Ford chassis a couple of years ago, and they’re nowhere near as good. The transverse bed is massive, and as singles I think they’re 190, with the option to stretch onto the cab seats, which can be angled to be a continuation of the bed.
Thanks Dave, having a look at a few, I did like the look of their newer models, am investigating the older Autograph and Advance now, yours is a Peugeot base?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Spacetourer
Jun 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
upgrading from T5
Just a word of advice based on my 6’ 3” experience. When checking internal height, take particular notice of anything fitted to the ceiling. When we were looking around we found a few models with great head height, but ruined by the central positioning of lights which robbed an inch or two. Just enough for me to sometimes hit my head when walking around. Good luck!
Yes I've already been mindful of this in the vans we have looked at. Some have decent head height but not everywhere, I can tell that would get annoying!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Spacetourer
Jun 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
upgrading from T5
I would forget a 3500 kg A class take a look at Carthargo S plus plenty of head room I personally prefer the 60c chassis ie 6.7t for a better drive but some people love the 50c Armytwowheels has an older one for sale
First search for the s plus...... £150k upwards :) lovely motors though.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back