Mercedes Sprinter rust or the lack of. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Rust free Sprinter came in today for MOT. Its a 10 plate van owned by friends of ours from new. I am posting this to prove
these vans will stay rust free if looked after. Kept undercover at a farm, I dont know if the building is a typical garage or covered with open ends but there is not a sign of rust anywhere. The van has 45000 miles only and is like new. It has never seen a paint pot and it
still has the original tyres. Has anybody seen anything similar? I must be a sad old bugger to post this. :LOL: John.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
We get a lot of Sprinter delivery vans coming to the garage, roughed up rusty at 2/3 years old. I have no idea what this owner does to keep it like new as I thought they would rust away in a garage not being used.
Probably just washes it regularly and treats stone chips promptly when they occur.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
A lot of work vans seem to rust very quickly, probably due to knocks and chips that would be fixed on a privately owned vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Any van will stay just free if kept in the dry. Not really practical for most peeps. It would be better all round in Mercedes just bothered to paint them properly.

I reckon that most Van's are knackered after 8 years of hard work so they reckon they just make the body only last 8 years too.

Aug 24, 2022
South Killingholme, Lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Gleneagle
Exp
I'm a newbie had a wobbly box when adam was a lad
Caravanners call Lunar caravans leaky Lunars did pre sale inspection on an early 80s one in 2003 dry as a bone everything worked told me he was selling it cause it was over 20 years old my reply was he'd be mad if he sold it as the new ones were cr*p

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Caravanners call Lunar caravans leaky Lunars did pre sale inspection on an early 80s one in 2003 dry as a bone everything worked told me he was selling it cause it was over 20 years old my reply was he'd be mad if he sold it as the new ones were cr*p
I had an 89 Lunar caravan more water in the walls than the garden pond.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Our Sprinter fleets always rusted. My 2007 was quite bad. My 2014, supposed to have better galvanising has started to go on the wheel Arch
Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 00.05.09.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
fifthwheel
Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Rust free Sprinter came in today for MOT. Its a 10 plate van owned by friends of ours from new. I am posting this to prove
these vans will stay rust free if looked after. Kept undercover at a farm, I dont know if the building is a typical garage or covered with open ends but there is not a sign of rust anywhere. The van has 45000 miles only and is like new. It has never seen a paint pot and it
still has the original tyres. Has anybody seen anything similar? I must be a sad old bugger to post this. :LOL: John.
This little story gets better, I was down the local last night and bumped into the owner. He brought a 2004 Sprinter for MOT yesterday and would you believe it is in exactly the same condition as the 10 plate. He was telling me both vans were used as race vans when his son was into karting. They are both kept under cover in garages that are well ventilated. I had no idea he had two vans until yesterday they have to be seen to be believed. He said he does nothing special to keep them in this condition and was a bit surprised when I showed so much interest. John.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
This little story gets better, I was down the local last night and bumped into the owner. He brought a 2004 Sprinter for MOT yesterday and would you believe it is in exactly the same condition as the 10 plate. He was telling me both vans were used as race vans when his son was into karting. They are both kept under cover in garages that are well ventilated. I had no idea he had two vans until yesterday they have to be seen to be believed. He said he does nothing special to keep them in this condition and was a bit surprised when I showed so much interest. John.
I would go and have a quiet lie down mate, this business of looking for rust free Sprinters is only going to end in tears. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Geoff

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Itā€™s gone!!šŸ˜¢
Exp
4 yearsā€¦.
Had a new shape Vito van about 14 years ago from new and before it was 3. years old it was rusting away around the front windscreen šŸ˜³šŸ˜³
Mate had a C class that failed itā€™s first MOT due to rust on the suspension mounting pointsšŸ˜³šŸ˜³

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back