March 29th and Pet Passport (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2013
West Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Back after a 3 year break.
Hi , Im planning a trip of several months to France starting on April 1st. Comfort are sending me a Green Card, and I'll get an International Driving Permit from the Post Office. The problem is what to do about my dog. He has a current UK pet passport, but will that be valid if there is no deal. Would he be allowed to travel ? Looking on the Gov.UK website ; it says allow 4 months in order to ' jump through the necessary hoops'. What if ? What if my dog had a Republic of Ireland/EU pet passport ? Would he be allowed into France/ Would he be allowed back into the UK. Any ideas ?

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
As far as I understand matters, you are free to take your dog to France, and roam the EU with him/her, without any problem. Seemingly, you would not, however, be allowed to bring your dog back to the UK without a six month quarantine in kennels!

We are not going anywhere outside the UK with our doggies until the return issue is cleared up definitively!!

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
As far as I understand matters, you are free to take your dog to France, and roam the EU with him/her, without any problem. Seemingly, you would not, however, be allowed to bring your dog back to the UK without a six month quarantine in kennels!

We are not going anywhere outside the UK with our doggies until the return issue is cleared up definitively!!

We're with you. We're doing Dorset, Devon and Cornwall.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
What about this preemptive blood test that has been discussed at length elsewhere on the forum?

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520

In the event of a "No deal" Brexit, the EU will require/insist on your pet having a blood test, as pet passports issued in the UK would not be valid for travel to the EU.
However, there will be no change to the current requirements for pets entering the UK from the EU after 29 March.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-europe-after-brexit

Pete

OP
OP
B
Dec 2, 2013
West Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Back after a 3 year break.
So , Is it possible for a dog, like a human to have 'dual citizenship ' ; with a UK and a EU Pet Passport as I have a second home and address in the Republic of Ireland , and could ask an Irish vet to process a new Irish/EU passport ? Would this work/ be legal ?

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
What about this preemptive blood test that has been discussed at length elsewhere on the forum?

We're off to Greece in May, so as a precaution we had our 2 standard Poodles rabies innoculations (brought forward from Aug) done at the beginning of Jan. Then took them to the vets (30 days after rabies jabs) to give blood samples (titre test) and sent away for testing. The results came back 10 days later saying they had passed the titre test. They are now clear to travel in Europe 3 months after the test. 10 days before travelling, we need to take them back to the vets for them to issue official veterinary certificates. You must arrive in an EU country within 10 days of the date the certificate was issued. You can then use it for up to 4 months for travel within the EU........ here, simples
Having the blood test done gives us the added benefit of being able to pop into Turkey and come back via Serbia.

Pete

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
So , Is it possible for a dog, like a human to have 'dual citizenship ' ; with a UK and a EU Pet Passport as I have a second home and address in the Republic of Ireland , and could ask an Irish vet to process a new Irish/EU passport ? Would this work/ be legal ?

I believe that would work and be legal, though your Irish vet may insist on giving your dog another rabies booster. see the link below.

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity...passports-dual-nationality-brexit-mr-loophole

Pete

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Were booked on Pont Aven on 2nd April, if a "no deal" develops before, will transfer booking to Portsmouth - Caan on 28th March, and use exsisting passport, no problem on June return. Hoping for extention to Brexit for leisurely start to travels.
Jim

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

Actually it's more like the opposite, returning will be no problem subject to current UK rules, currently no checks entering France, if no deal then POSSIBLY we may have to produce blood test evidence to enter as we will become 3rd country.
So bizarrely from 29th March we MAY have to produce evidence our dogs are rabies free and immune when entering a continent with rabies, however when returning, proof of up to date rabies jab and the obligatory vet's visit will not have changed.
I'm concerned that if Brexit is delayed then my summer trip will leave me wondering what next or will necessitate paying for blood test and the wait !
It would be nice if we left 29th March that the EU would allow a settling in period before applying rules, whether, dogs, insurance or Driving licence.
But then we must be punished ...........

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
The French are not set up to check pets entering off the tunnel. They would have to change the exit roads and have some way of splitting vehicles carrying pets. I think that if we did leave with no deal they would have to give some leeway, if only for a few weeks.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
The French are not set up to check pets entering off the tunnel. They would have to change the exit roads and have some way of splitting vehicles carrying pets. I think that if we did leave with no deal they would have to give some leeway, if only for a few weeks.

Not according to the EU....
Travellers' point of entry - the pet animal (dog, cat or ferret) must pass through a travellers' point of entry designated by Member States (see below). The owner must, at the time of entry, contact the competent authority present at the point of entry for the purposes of the documentary and identity checks.
https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/pet-movement/eu-legislation/non-commercial-non-eu_en
Cheriton/Coquelles is listed as one of the border crossing points in the French PDF (see link below) so I presume there is one!

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=OJ:C:2017:120:FULL&from=EN#page=21

Pete

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Not according to the EU....
Travellers' point of entry - the pet animal (dog, cat or ferret) must pass through a travellers' point of entry designated by Member States (see below).
https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/pet-movement/eu-legislation/non-commercial-non-eu_en

Pete

Hopefully we will added to the listed countries as we are rabies free and operate strict controls anyway.

upload_2019-3-16_16-12-5.png

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Our French vet told us that we would have to have another blood test if we wanted a French passport for Casper. I am not sure how long we would have to wait before we could travel.
He has had a blood test over 8 years ago.

Would he need another test done in the country issuing the passport according to the following?? From HM Government advising if no deal.

upload_2019-3-16_16-21-1.png

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Although I have Casper’s original passport complete with a stamp and signature from a certified vet, and no break in his vaccinations, I do not have the name of the laboratory as it was so long ago. The vet has contacted the laboratory and they do not keep records for more than a couple of years.
I am not going to take him for a blood test if it’s not going to be necessary so we shall just have to wait and see

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

As far as I've read that's the wrong way round.

If no deal there's no change to bringing your pet back to the UK it's taking them in to Europe that's the issue

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Rabies vaccination brought forward 3months, blood test done and passed. That’s what we’ve done to make sure we can escape the uk.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back