Magic Earth? Not so magic after all. (2 Viewers)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have recently been experimenting with the Magic Earth App for navigation using a mobile phone. Initially, I was quite impressed with it, however, as the title refers, it's not quite as magic as first thought. :(

Three times this week it has tried to route me through 7.5T restrictions in a 44T truck. That's fine if there is an exemption, ie, except for access, or except for loading. On each occasion there weren't any exemptions.

For those using it for nothing bigger than a large MH, you'll be fine with it. Most 3.5T restrictions in France do not apply to Camping Cars.

Instead, I have downloaded Road Lords, and programmed in the same 44T profile.
As an experimental/demo route, I then set it for a local destination with both a low bridge and a 7.5T weight restriction. The navigation instructions avoided both the height and weight restrictions, as I has hoped, keeping me on major roads.
So, if your MH/ARV is heavier than 7.5T, and you are using a mobile device, try Road Lords. (y)

If Google maps had the facility for profiling large vehicles dimensions and weights, I'd be using them instead. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree JockandRita Tried it ..once, then deleted ..

No match for Google maps .. and with a PVC no worries about the route ..

G Map routing is generally the fastest and best route anyway.. and with live updating you can avoid delays.

If you don'd want to use data when abroad, you can download the map of the area you are going..

I found my 6" iphone screen a bit small, so I bought a 9" Android tablet with GPS for navigating . it is superb .. tethered to the phone so no need for another sim ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back