MAF failure (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bürstner Aviano i727
Hi all, called out the AA today as amber engine light came on. Diagnosed as a mass air meter fail from historical codes as the amber engine light was no longer on when he was there. I’m assuming it will likely fail again, my question is ‘is this a diy job’ it’s a 2012 Ducato based A class burstner. I’m struggling to actually locate it - it’s cramped in there and A class access is a mare. Cheers

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Hi all, called out the AA today as amber engine light came on. Diagnosed as a mass air meter fail from historical codes as the amber engine light was no longer on when he was there. I’m assuming it will likely fail again, my question is ‘is this a diy job’ it’s a 2012 Ducato based A class burstner. I’m struggling to actually locate it - it’s cramped in there and A class access is a mare. Cheers
If you can locate it I would say yes.

I can only go by my 2012 Ford Focus. That has good access. Top and front air inlet. You have to be careful but you can get a spray to clean it and try that first, but you need to be careful as its easily damaged if it's not already broken.
I'd say you need to clear the codes as well. Certainly worth a try. A code reader is also helpful. A search on google helps to identify with cleaning and testing
Good luck

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Hi, thanks and the codes have been cleared.
The focus showed that code but I'm not sure it was ultimately the sensor at fault. But I removed it and sprayed a fast evaporating contact cleaner on it and that fault has not reappeared.
I then disconnected the lead and the fault appeared. just to prove it was ok. cleared the code and no issues since in 6 months.

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
From below website: It is installed between the air filter and the intake manifold of the engine.

Guessing if you can get the air filter box off then DIY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
richengland
Nov 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bürstner Aviano i727
I will see if I can , looks damn tricky tbh , all well hidden

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
A MAF fault isn’t always the MAF. It can be a fault with other items such as the EGR stuck open. But there is no sensor on that on certain engines, such as my Ducato, so the ECU can’t make sense of the reading it is receiving from the MAF and MAP sensors.

Worth checking before just throwing money at a MAF. But they are easily changed. Also there is a programming ability in the ECU for a new MAF, once installed on mine.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I will see if I can , looks damn tricky tbh , all well hidden
take the lid off the air cleaner and remove the filter. 3x 10mm nuts in the bottom to release the housing. Undo 2 jubilee clips either side of MAF sensor. Pull out plug and lift out filter housing and MAF. Reassemble in reverse of above. 10 minute job but remember to remove any debris. Often leaves get in the intake and the heated element in the MAF burns. It is a coil of very fine wire

OP
OP
richengland
Nov 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bürstner Aviano i727
So, just to check, physically replace the MAF , connect it, no ECU work to do?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I had a MAF issue in my previous 2007 Ducato. When I went to replace it, it was a little grubby. And I'm pretty sure the electrical connector wasn't fully seated. I'd already fired the parts cannon, so I swapped it. Stuttering and occasional dash engine light issues went away.

It wasn't hard to do. Just wrestling the python like tubes for the air intake. A few bits had to come out, but it is all on the front top of the engine.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Check the air pipes from the air filter to the turbo, then to the air cooler, then to engine. Any splits or holes in those could cause the same fault.

OP
OP
richengland
Nov 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bürstner Aviano i727
As I mentioned above. There is the option of learning new MAF in the Ecu settings.
Hi, sorry to be a little slow. But I’m not sure what you mean by ‘option’ is it required to work or does it improve the settings. ?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Hi, sorry to be a little slow. But I’m not sure what you mean by ‘option’ is it required to work or does it improve the settings. ?
To be honest I don’t know.
I fitted new MAF, still had fault. Fiddled with stuff found I had failed EGR (stuck open). Sorted that and part of that was to borrow a diagnostic reader that was more than my eBay basic thing. This had the option to add/program new MAF. So I did this. What difference it made I have no idea as I’d done so much other work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back