Mad to consider retrofitting full air to a 2010 van? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 4, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B614SL
Exp
since 2020
I have a 2010 van that is a perfect spec for me. If I was buying a new van, I wouldn’t change a thing for layout or spec.

But…

The ride is so crashy and on the motorway, it does sway when passing large vehicles. It’s a bit of a boat.

I know full air won’t eradicate/help totally but it will go a lot way (I hope). Comfort is the main driver to upgrade.

I’ve already changed to C from CP tyres, pressures are correct for 4T van (55/65psi), rear shocks changed, front struts changed.

I know that spending considerable £££’s won’t increase the van value at all but if I was to change my van, it would be considerably more £££’s and still may not have air suspension or a layout as good as I have. A more expensive van will probably depreciate more as well.

I can see me keeping the van for at least another 5 years, maybe more and I drive over 10k miles a year so it would get good use.

Thoughts welcome, I’ve got thick skin.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
If I felt like you I would do it. I’ve never worried about what our motorhomes have cost us and how much money we have lost (and we’ve had 18). We just love the life and will spend whatever we want on the pastime. Go for it!

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Do it, if the van suits you as you say, it’s a damn site cheaper than shelling out for a new one which may have the same crashy ride, and more problems, so you will be spending even more money!
Put the suspension on and the rest in your pocket👍👍

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Semi air on the rear stops so much roll on bends and buffeting when passing or being passed by HGVs etc - and much cheaper than full air
I had semi air on my last van. It did improve handling. But it didn't do much for ride comfort. Except on the biggest potholes, where it slightly reduced the cringing impact. Full air is definitely better. And the auto levelling on site is pretty handy too (although only for relatively small gradients). But it's also several times more expensive. I think it's worth it, but it's definitely a decadent mod.

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
I have a 2010 van that is a perfect spec for me. If I was buying a new van, I wouldn’t change a thing for layout or spec.

But…

The ride is so crashy and on the motorway, it does sway when passing large vehicles. It’s a bit of a boat.

I know full air won’t eradicate/help totally but it will go a lot way (I hope). Comfort is the main driver to upgrade.

I’ve already changed to C from CP tyres, pressures are correct for 4T van (55/65psi), rear shocks changed, front struts changed.

I know that spending considerable £££’s won’t increase the van value at all but if I was to change my van, it would be considerably more £££’s and still may not have air suspension or a layout as good as I have. A more expensive van will probably depreciate more as well.

I can see me keeping the van for at least another 5 years, maybe more and I drive over 10k miles a year so it would get good use.

Thoughts welcome, I’ve got thick skin.
Its 'crashy' because its probably running close to its design limit for the springs, what about just changing the springs. lot cheaper and completely reliable.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Its 'crashy' because its probably running close to its design limit for the springs, what about just changing the springs. lot cheaper and completely reliable.
Stiffer spring will just make it more jarring. Unless it's currently bouncing off the stops, harder springs do not improve comfort. And you also need to switch the shocks to match the new spring rate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had full air on the last van, a marked improvement but not as much as I would have expected but it thumped over bumps rather than crashing, yes it was still worth it.

Need to upgrade the new van rear air will probably do what I need as it has VB front springs and with the side wind stability no sway when passing arctics. But I had full air on the last van and loved the levelling we could get dead level over 90% of the time. Semi air and jacks would be about the same cost not sure I really want jacks we don't mind the van swaying.

Steve OldAgeTravellers fitted full air to his 2013 Hymer and loves it.

Feb 16, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
We waited a year before getting VB full air on ours. I noticed straight away the difference when passing trucks / coaches etc, which was the main reason for the change. I cannot say for sure if it has improved ride over potholes or not, but I am very happy with the ride it now offers and feel it was value for money for sure.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Check out Aeon rubber spring assistors from Ride Solutions in Cambridge CB22 6RY who will be able to advise on which ones to get . Sorry but I can't remember their phone number.
They're made by Timbren and fitted from light vehicles right up to massive ones on train carriages.
I have an old Hymer S650 which really used to wallow around, especially on roundabouts.
I had these fitted a few years ago and it made a world of difference at relatively small cost , possibly less than £200 if I remember correctly.
They are fitted in place of the current bump stops on the vehicle and a very simple job to install , although I did have my local garage fit mine.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Semi air on the rear stops so much roll on bends and buffeting when passing or being passed by HGVs etc - and much cheaper than full air
Can somebody explain this 'semi air' concept. I suffer many of the symptoms described here and am looking for solutions, this could be it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Can somebody explain this 'semi air' concept. I suffer many of the symptoms described here and am looking for solutions, this could be it?
Small airbags replace the stops on the rear springs.

Usually pumped to 2-3 bar (compressor not needed)

Had it fitted to a C class with a noticeable difference.

My current van came with them fitted.

Kit about £500 + fitting

Edit from £200 !!

Last edited:
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp

Kit about £500 + fitting
Sounds good. My van has leaf springs on the rear, does that make a difference?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Currently at a site in Norfolk. The roads aren't great, so the full air suspension was getting a workout. Lots of things rattling about. But I got a ride to the nearest town in a Skoda SUV. Very quiet inside. But boy, was the ride stiff and jarring! Next drive in the van, I realised that although there's lots of noise inside the van, the ride is actually pretty supple and far less rough than the Skoda. Ride quality will not necessarily make your van much less rattley.

My opinion is full air is about the same improvement level as going from 80psi camper tyres to normal van tyres at 50psi. So for those that haven't switched tyres, do that first!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As per BB's description below BUT

Kit about £500 + fitting

Edit from £200 !!
the kits are fare dearer in spain. They charge extra for the homologation sheet required to get them added to ficha tecnica .Around 190€ I seem to recall then add on they have to be fitted by someone who can supply the correct piece of paper you can then get it all added to the ficha.last time I considered it it was looking at the thick end of 1100€ by time kit bought ,Coc obtained then pay for it all to be installed.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
we all love full air when we spend our money on it and try to justify the outlay.
In reality, it's "ok" offers a bit more comfort but only when they bring out a hover van will it be any good over potholes and bumps.

but it's your money, so do it, especially if you like the van.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Having had semi air previously we had the thought of adding it again with our latest motorhome as the ride with Michelin Agilis CP tyres was very hard. However no longer a consideration as having changed to the Michelin Cross Climate Camping tyres, which are a CP tyre. Had them on for only 500 miles, early days but already there is a significant improvement in the ride and no issues with leaning on corners etc.
we run rears at 78, front 65 on 4.5 ton.
Very much rate them - although pricey you get what you pay for and a lot less than adding semi air.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back