LV Insurance no longer insuring Fiat motorhomes? (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
Since 2002
Hi,
I’ve just got off the phone to LV where I attempted to get a quote for a new Fiat Ducato based motorhome we should be collecting later this month.
I have a multi car insurance policy with them already and had a previous Fiat Ducato based motorhome insured on the policy earlier this year.
The lady I spoke to asked all the expected questions then advised that they wouldn’t be able to insure it as their underwriting rules had changed in July.
Anyone heard anything about this?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I'm guessing on a claim then the insured is getting the minimum market value
No we are with LV had my car written of earlier this year it was a no fault claim and we had our valuation and that was enough to replace with a car of same type, age and roughly mileage and condition they paid out within two weeks which I was really impressed with 😊

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Coach build low profile
Exp
Since 2012
I spoke with LV about a month ago and tried to get a quote for a new Swift Kon tiki 894 (Fiat) motorhome. Wouldn't quote me at all. Kept on driveway, Thatcham cat 1 alarm, approved S5 tracker/immobiliser, clean licence, 64 yo. 2 years no claims. Caravan guard were £100.00 cheaper than Comfort for me.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I spoke with LV about a month ago and tried to get a quote for a new Swift Kon tiki 894 (Fiat) motorhome. Wouldn't quote me at all. Kept on driveway, Thatcham cat 1 alarm, approved S5 tracker/immobiliser, clean licence, 64 yo. 2 years no claims. Caravan guard were £100.00 cheaper than Comfort for me.
if you are not already insured with them they will not quote you only existing clients

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
We are with LV - separate policies for wife’s car and the Moho for me. When I first insured with them over the phone in November 2022 they had no interest in alarms, trackers or immobilisers, but did insist on reversing sensors/camera and a dash cam.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
They are very abrupt in their decision making, they no longer inure motorcycles, I was with them for years when 2 years ago I got notification that they stopped motorcycle insurance and that there would be no renewals forthcoming🤷🏻‍♂️

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2023
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Marquis Majestic 285
Exp
I'm a newbie
They are very abrupt in their decision making, they no longer inure motorcycles, I was with them for years when 2 years ago I got notification that they stopped motorcycle insurance and that there would be no renewals forthcoming🤷🏻‍♂️
Yes, same here, LV insured my motorcycle for years, then received a letter from them saying that they were not insuring motorcycles any longer. Obviously if they can't make a profit bin it!

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Just tried to do an online quote with LV, the nearest to a motorhome category was "Van" so used that, all ok until you insert registration number. I then used their Bot Chat to be told; LV no longer provide motorhome insurance.

Is this correct, seems a bit odd when you read the various stories on the forum ref LV.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just tried to do an online quote with LV, the nearest to a motorhome category was "Van" so used that, all ok until you insert registration number. I then used their Bot Chat to be told; LV no longer provide motorhome insurance.

Is this correct, seems a bit odd when you read the various stories on the forum ref LV.

I have just this minute come off the phone with LV after discussing my renewal quote.
The guy has confirmed LV NO LONGER OFFER NEW MOTORHOME POLICIES.. They do renew existing ones....
Lucky me as most others are coming in over £100 dearer...

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Now this is very strange as you will know from my other thread they still do motorhome breakdown and very good they are too.
Chas yes, I’ve been following your other thread. Looks like you’ve heading home tomorrow. Safe journey.

Do you currently have vehicle insurance through LV, be it car or MH. It would appear they are happy to provide a quote to existing customers, but for some reason not taking on any business from new clients.

Upvote 0

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have car and van insured with LV,i changed my van last week from peugeot boxer to a N & B arto with fiat badge,pleasantly surprised that it only cost £46 to do it with 7 month still on the policy .
I am currently doing house insurance this morning ,now thats another story:rolleyes: .
Cheers Cris 🍻 .

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.

I tried to insure with LV a couple of years ago but they don't seem to understand motorhomes - she basically said she couldn't quote me as my vehicle didn't exist on their system. It's a common 2021 Fiat based Burstner.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
am currently doing house insurance this morning ,now thats another story:rolleyes: .
Cheers Cris 🍻 .
LV now offer a combined car and house policy. I took this combined product a few weeks ago, decent saving on previous price. Worth a look.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
My car is insured through LV. The paperwork is headed LV Broker, although the Certificate is signed on behalf of Liverpool Victoria Insurance Ltd, despite that, the policy might well be underwritten elsewhere. The previous year the underwriter was ABC (Nope, I don't know them either).

Back in May I got a reasonable renewal premium from Comfort (another broker) so I stuck with them. The actual MH policy is with Aviva.

These posts regarding LV no longer offering MH insurance policies to new customers seem bizarre, if LV are acting as brokers, and LV isn't the actual underwriter. There are still insurers out there willing to take the actual risk of insuring MHs.

From my lay perspective (muggins, moi), in the highly complex world of insurance the financial risk is often laid off to other companies, sometimes even Lloyds Syndicates i.e a bunch of wealthy individuals right at the end of the chain, so customers like me can't know where the buck stops in the event of a claim. Each broker / underwriter layer is taking a slice of the premium in this pass-the-parcel game, and I suspect it all adds cumulatively to the premium paid by the customer. Often there is a lack of transparency. We can't know how many companies get to see or share our personal data, merely a list of those who might receive our personal data (is that list complete anyway?), and how much each slice off the premium they are taking for passing the buck in the event of a claim is really costing us.

Upvote 0

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
LV now offer a combined car and house policy. I took this combined product a few weeks ago, decent saving on previous price. Worth a look.

Yes i did look this morning but they dont offer cover for my current property.
Sorted house insurance 10 mins ago,i need another coffee now:LOL: before i go out and clean van roof.

Cheers Cris 🍻.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Makes you think all the posts saying that motorhome insurance is a rip off and big money earner must be very wide of the mark. I think the market has spoken and said it's just no worth it anymore!

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Well I am gonna blame @chaser,for breaking down in France, staying in hotels for nights on end, flights back to The UK with Taxi ride home, its the straw that broke the camels back with LV Motor Home Cover.;):LOL:

But Seriously, I hope he is safely home by now, and that the French garage will make a good job of replacing the gearbox, and all will be well on receipt of it when delivered back to his front door. 🤞 Many of us were concerned about him, and whether he would get the best outcome, but we still wait to hear what was offered to him by LV in the end, I fear it was not all straight forward.

As usual breaking down in France or the EU can be a very worrying and expensive experience, not one I would wish on anyone, its a shame that LV no longer wish to be in the MH insurance industry, as they were of of the good ones, especially since we lost the ADAC offering after Brexit.
I know many used to rave about it, and those that are ex pats can still get coverage I believe.
LES

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
its a shame that LV no longer wish to be in the MH insurance industry
But they are still insuring mine and many others on this forum. The seem to be narrowing down the types of vehicle they are prepared to insure not leaving the sector.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
But they are still insuring mine and many others on this forum. The seem to be narrowing down the types of vehicle they are prepared to insure not leaving the sector.
Kups if you read all the previous posts you will see that LV may renew existing policies like yours, but it looks like they don't want to take on any new business or clients with MH's. I would expect their premiums may rise in the coming years to make existing clients move away also if its not a market they happy to be in....we shall see, only they know why but not saying at the moment.
LES

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back